Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24   #46

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Interesting attitudes on all sides. I am with you, boatman61, if you don't have the safety net that is provided, then you make your bones where you can. If you can catch enough of those 3k a month jobs and live on 1/2 k a month or less, then are are on the road to freedom, it isn't what you pull down, it is what you get to keep. Sounds like a nice boat and a nice trip.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Interesting attitudes on all sides. I am with you, boatman61, if you don't have the safety net that is provided, then you make your bones where you can. If you can catch enough of those 3k a month jobs and live on 1/2 k a month or less, then are are on the road to freedom, it isn't what you pull down, it is what you get to keep. Sounds like a nice boat and a nice trip.
a day on the dole(benefits) is a day of my life wasted!

oxygen thieves,id rather get $10 a day doing something than sit in front of the rot box for 11 months of the year lol
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Yup... its a nice easy run.. contrary to many beliefs.. and good sailing most of the time.
If the dates of the trip had been different I'd likely have been one of the applicants..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
recently i,ve been approached by a number of professional companies to sub contract deliveries for them,..........and guess how much they are paying.......a hundred dollars a day or less!!!

so next time you go to one of the so called professional delivery companys and get quoted a price that you need to sit down and take deep breaths..

what you are actually paying for is a fancy website,a few testamonials and an ex delivery skipper who sits in his cosy office,getting the other half of the fee...............
If you think that is true - then you know what to do . Nowadays won't even need an office.

But you will probably find TWO big downers:-

a) Da Gubberment Once you put your head above the parapet (simply by advertising services on offer) .......you will need to move from the grey economy to the mainstream (otherwise at risk from competitors dobbing you in)............ and then you get not only the taxes involved from getting fully acquainted with Mr Taxman (and all his freinds) but also you get the costs and simply the time involved in feeding "the beast" with paperwork / information (your accounting records can no longer be kept on back of an envelope - that got lost ). and all that's before da man decides you be squirriling away money by underdeclaring income - innocent until proven guilty? Lol! Try proving a negative .

You know all those stupid half assed projects and Govt departments full of wishful thinkers? Well, someone has to pay for all that. As a small businessman that will be your other job...........

b) The punters ......the vast majority will be complete timewasters (and that isn't free and gets old v. quickly) who are either after free info (to beat down some other schmuck - who is more desperate for the cash), have no freinds / like to feel important or simply have a half baked vague dream and no real idea of what they want........or want (need?!) a deal that even a Chinese 7yo child would turn down .....and all that no matter what they tell ya at the getgo ...........Size / value of vessel not a reliable guide to someone actually having any money..........just because no cheque is written doesn't mean that time spent doesn't have a cost - to you.

Not to say that all things are not possible, but running own business not as easy as it sounds (at this point you tell me yer built Microsoft ) - nor automatically profitable (it's not like boat ownership where one can pretend to self certain costs don't exist - reality does eventually catch up).

BTW I have no intention of ever becoming a Delivery Skipper (certainly not long haul) - but paid crew would be nice now and again. somewhere warm ..........but to my eyes what a "proffesional company" offers to a Skipper is a potential of a regular stream of work (even if only a top up to own efforts) from them having a bigger market presence that someone alone could have..........and for the Punter (should be!) less hassle arranging a delivery / understanding the deal - and someone else (with insurance) to sue the pants off if things go Pete Tong!.......apart from a potless Skipper who was last seen heading up the Amazon............

IMO / IME sometimes you do have to ignore what some other beggar is getting from a deal and simply ask self: "is the deal good enough for me?" (and then try and work out how to move up the food chain for next time )..........It's usually a choice between that and nothing at all - not that you will likely get someone else's part of the deal by stamping foot etc. Principles are fine - hard cash in pocket is better ......and if you can afford to risk a No (and then lose a deal now and again) then IMO all the better.

DOJ Yacht Deliveries Limited coming soon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If you think that is true - then you know what to do . Nowadays won't even need an office.

But you will probably find TWO big downers:-

a) Da Gubberment Once you put your head above the parapet (simply by advertising services on offer) .......you will need to move from the grey economy to the mainstream (otherwise at risk from competitors dobbing you in)............ and then you get not only the taxes involved from getting fully acquainted with Mr Taxman (and all his freinds) but also you get the costs and simply the time involved in feeding "the beast" with paperwork / information (your accounting records can no longer be kept on back of an envelope - that got lost ). and all that's before da man decides you be squirriling away money by underdeclaring income - innocent until proven guilty? Lol! Try proving a negative .

You know all those stupid half assed projects and Govt departments full of wishful thinkers? Well, someone has to pay for all that. As a small businessman that will be your other job...........

b) The punters ......the vast majority will be complete timewasters (and that isn't free and gets old v. quickly) who are either after free info (to beat down some other schmuck - who is more desperate for the cash), have no freinds / like to feel important or simply have a half baked vague dream and no real idea of what they want........or want (need?!) a deal that even a Chinese 7yo child would turn down .....and all that no matter what they tell ya at the getgo ...........Size / value of vessel not a reliable guide to someone actually having any money..........just because no cheque is written doesn't mean that time spent doesn't have a cost - to you.

Not to say that all things are not possible, but running own business not as easy as it sounds (at this point you tell me yer built Microsoft ) - nor automatically profitable (it's not like boat ownership where one can pretend to self certain costs don't exist - reality does eventually catch up).

BTW I have no intention of ever becoming a Delivery Skipper (certainly not long haul) - but paid crew would be nice now and again. somewhere warm ..........but to my eyes what a "proffesional company" offers to a Skipper is a potential of a regular stream of work (even if only a top up to own efforts) from them having a bigger market presence that someone alone could have.

IMO / IME sometimes you do have to ignore what some other beggar is getting from a deal and simply ask self: "is the deal good enough for me?" (and then try and work out how to move up the food chain for next time )..........It's usually a choice between that and nothing at all - not that you will likely get someone else's part of the deal by stamping foot etc. Principles are fine - hard cash in pocket is better ......and if you can afford to risk a No (and then lose a deal now and again) then IMO all the better.

DOJ Yacht Deliveries Limited coming soon
great post,but big brother is watching you lol

Reporting benefit fraud : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

ROTFLMAO...... nice one DOJ...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 05-01-2012, 14:29   #52
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Pallarin. this young couple (whose irreverent posts I love) just spent time in the Balearics. It may be worthwhile looking at their 3 or 4 last posts; seems there were a few anchorages they really liked.
Ok - some weird **** really does happen in this world. So, this is it.

Thank you for sending me the link. I thougt I'd read a few pages of the guys blog. They really are funny. I'm reading through the page and he starts talking about his friend "Kerry" and how they hadn't seen him since Ibiza.

Now I think, this if funny because the guy I just hired is named Kerry and he is from Ibiza. Well, I guess I don't have to worry about getting references about my skipper because Slapdash has peppered their blogs about what a great guy he is. Isn't that too weird? Some things in life are ment to be and this must be one of them.

Thanks avb3.

David.
Old 05-01-2012, 14:56   #53

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
this must be "kerry"...

LMAO!! What is the blue doohickey on the cabin roof? A wind vane for the self steerer?
Old 05-01-2012, 17:00   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
LMAO!! What is the blue doohickey on the cabin roof? A wind vane for the self steerer?
its a very large tuning fork,so the hippies can get the correct "OM" tone,before lighting the bong that you can see next to the genset.................
Old 05-01-2012, 17:11   #55

Quote:
its a very large tuning fork,so the hippies can get the correct "OM" tone,before lighting the bong that you can see next to the genset.................
Ahhhhhhh silly me i thought he had a 'Thong Bong' .........
Old 05-01-2012, 17:13   #56

Quote:
Lol either a "dual sloop rig" or an "east west ketch" ????
Old 05-01-2012, 17:17   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ahhhhhhh silly me i thought he had a 'Thong Bong' .........
no that comes later when they start sacrificing virgins............
Old 05-01-2012, 17:20   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Lol either a "dual sloop rig" or an "east west ketch" ????
looks like a wharram ketch,very popular with the hippie type beachcomber!
Old 05-01-2012, 17:22   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
I think it is where he keeps the extra floss he seems to be using for the willnots.
Old 05-01-2012, 17:30   #60

Quote:
looks like a wharram ketch,very popular with the hippie type beachcomber!
Oh Oh now you gonna bring down the Wrath of Wharram lovers!!!!!!!! Ya dead for sure now :-(

Tags
delivery, skipper