Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 19:08   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg
This forum has denigrated dramatically. People get off on jabbing, throwing barbs, putting other people down, humiliating others. It's getting tough to weed though all the crap to get to any salient points.
That is because people are getting hurt in their wallet and thus livelyhood. It's tough to see jobs going to those who ask $100 where you need $350 to make ends meet.

I see the problem, but I don't think CF is the right place to fight it out. It doesn't matter anyway, the market will dictate the going price and not much written here will influence that price imho.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 10-01-2012, 19:23   #92

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

I won't preume to speak for Palaran, but after a minor misunderstanding was clarified an apology was offered and accepted. Now someone please post that smiley of beating a dead horse and call it a day.
Old 10-01-2012, 19:33   #93

Boat: Beneteau 41S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
I won't preume to speak for Palaran, but after a minor misunderstanding was clarified an apology was offered and accepted. Now someone please post that smiley of beating a dead horse and call it a day.
Well thank God for that!
Old 10-01-2012, 19:43   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<< Its a Day...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:05   #95

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Obnoxious - Check
Haughty - Check
Arrogant - Check
Know-it-All - Disagree
Defensive - Check

I can defiantly be an obnoxious, arrogant prick when I'm on the defensive. But I typically don't try to impress as being a know-it-all. If I thought I knew it all, I wouldn't participate in this sailing forum.
Ahhh... nothing wrong there mate, I'd crew with you. Don't have to worry about hurt feelings (yours or mine), misunderstandings or egos. And I believe you'd tell me the truth, even if you knew it might hurt my feeling (doubtful).

Your boat, your money, your rules, how hard is that to understand. As far as $100/day for a qualified skipper, why pay 3x as much for the same service, might just be how he got the money for the boat...

Palarran it is people like you and "Boats" that keep this forum lively. Rock on.

Oh, and good luck on your cruise!
Old 17-01-2012, 04:44   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Motor and Sail 35' to 600'

Oft what makes the better captain is the wisdom and balls to say no.

It concluded the pressure Mr Anstess directly caused the loss of skipper and crew.
BBC News - Yacht delivery firm accused of negligence
Old 17-01-2012, 10:40   #97

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

wow - A pretty interesting thread (with some drift - but in the main, fairly relevant)

I deliver for a living (ie - totally unemployable in the Real World?) and am fortunate enough to command a rather higher rate than the OP's original fee. However - I would have considered the original offer, had I not been committed to other work over that period. 50% of something being considerably better than 0% of nothing.

A job such as this is often difficult - I call them "Owner Assisted Passages". If, as in this case, you have an experienced owner who - I sorta reckon - probably doesn't actually need a "captain", but a reliable experienced hand, then it can, unless the two "hit it off", be awkward. Who is really in charge when the s**t hits the fan?

As one poster said - and I've heard it of car mechanics as well - to the effect "its "x" dollars an hour if you let me get on with it but "x +++" if you are hovering over my shoulder."

It's a funny old game - and you are only as good as your last delivery....

Tony
Old 17-01-2012, 11:01   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
wow - A pretty interesting thread (with some drift - but in the main, fairly relevant)

I deliver for a living (ie - totally unemployable in the Real World?) and am fortunate enough to command a rather higher rate than the OP's original fee. However - I would have considered the original offer, had I not been committed to other work over that period. 50% of something being considerably better than 0% of nothing.

A job such as this is often difficult - I call them "Owner Assisted Passages". If, as in this case, you have an experienced owner who - I sorta reckon - probably doesn't actually need a "captain", but a reliable experienced hand, then it can, unless the two "hit it off", be awkward. Who is really in charge when the s**t hits the fan?

As one poster said - and I've heard it of car mechanics as well - to the effect "its "x" dollars an hour if you let me get on with it but "x +++" if you are hovering over my shoulder."

It's a funny old game - and you are only as good as your last delivery....

Tony
+A1... it is a diplomatic tightrope... knowing when and how to pull the reins...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-01-2012, 11:02   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Motor and Sail 35' to 600'

Hi Tony,
You are right, there are many out there looking to get experience and advance their license they will take anything. Ask a any captain who is the best and he better answer yes. I work as a pilot and rarely ride anything under 300' it's the off season here and it's slow chartering the cat.

Deliveries are fun with the right crew and owner aboard. This one won't be buying many dinners ashore like the well funded ones do. Having crossed a few oceans on ships and boats I know it can be very boring or very busy. I consider myself a 1%'er, the calm in chaos.

My situation is I am looking to retire and work less on heavy vessels
and spend sometime sharing my experience with owners who are looking to fast track their learning experience by sailing with a captain who has a body of knowledge not just from a small pleasure boat perspective.

I started delivering and training owners back in 1985 and have had
some epic voyages and sailed some great new captains and their family's.
I am proud of to have passed on my knowledge and contributed to their
safety and confidence level, in the end this makes their voyages more
fun and enjoyable. I am not confrontational by nature and would prefer
to quietly show you how I do it (as I have learned from other pros).

I thought this forum would be a good place to get some exposure and
perhaps gain a few trips.

Glad you enjoyed the article. Thanks for the appreciation.
-N
Old 17-01-2012, 11:05   #100
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I received an e-mail from the guy I have hired. Here is a section;
As for Palarran I’m thrilled to going along and right now see no obstacles to comleting that, although as you say, if for some reason something does crop up to change that I’ll let you know as soon as I possibly can. But it’s a crossing I’m very keen to make and a cool project you have and I’m all for it. I remember you comments in an earlier e-mail about the “relationship between owner and skipper”. I think you were relating to the stereotypical barking maniac skipper. That’s not me David. It’s your boat and I prefer discussion, consensus, sharing of ideas, using everyone’s opinions and strengths above the megalomaniac despot thing. It isn’t in my character. In extremis of course then things might happen, but the whole trick is to avoid “in extremis” stuff with the former atmosphere. I’d hope that you complete the transit and feel like you are then capable of doing them yourself, rather than relying on skippers. So I would like to be something of a mentor, sounding board, source of information and experience as much or more than a skipper as such. I’m sure it won’t be your first and last ocean crossing and the sooner you get accustomed and comfortable with them yourselves, the better. I think at least!

I like the guy. The reason for the comments about canceling is that I had previously been working with a friend/captain for almost two years who went through a divorce and now can't make the trip.

An update on insurance. I have my updated policy. There isn't any problems with the skipper or the delivery. In fact, my annual cost had gone DOWN 50% compared to last year. This being due to not being in the hurricane zone and the boat being hauled out for 7 of the covered months.

Another update in regards to findacrew. I've received somewhere near 125 responses in a little less then a month. What a great resourse for finding a crew member regardless of the position. It absolutely has to be the best $75 investment in this delivery.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:36   #101

Hi Palarran,

Female 200 ton offshore capt., with two engineless atlantic crossings and over
50 000 Sea Miles. Crew stcw certified, with similar experience.

Two very qualified young sailors with experience on everything from traditional sailing vessels, to commercial tugs, and Mates time on a 70' Luxury Cat. Looking for a paid crossing to Europe arriving sometime early June. Will Most likely be in St. Maarten as of early feb. If interested please rsvp to discuss details, parsonage*dot*sean*at*gmail*dot*com

Tags
delivery, skipper