Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23   #16
woc

Boat: Lagoon450
Re: Yanmar SD50 Saildrive Units

Bill,
The Hooka compressor is what I use. Pressure is not the issue, the bag just need to be filled with air. If I remember correctly I paid around $3000 for the bags. I would not let the compartment flood and if you were closer by you could use my bags. You may be able to rent. The company that specializes in salvage lift bags is called " Subsalve" . Look them up on Google.
Depending on the type of cruising you do, having these bags are good to have and I carry them in one of the forward compartments when deflated.
Dimensions of the bags ( cylindrical) is about 3 ft by 4 ft when fully inflated.
They have lifting straps built in but for this project all you need is stuff them between the hulls and hold them in place until they inflate. I filled all three at the same time with my Hooka. To deflate I just open the valve on the bags.
I have some pictures somewhere I can send you if needed
Good luck
Old 14-06-2015, 08:50   #17

Re: Yanmar SD50 Saildrive Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc View Post
I replaced it 10 month ago. I have a catamaran and one unit developed a clicking noise in the gears and eventually cratered. Yanmar did not honor the warranty although I sent the complete unit in for analysis. They claim unless there is a material defect warranty will not apply.
The cost to repair was in excess of the SD60 and two month delivery.
I bit the bullet and upgraded as it will be increasingly more difficult to get spares and I have a long cruise planned.
Until now, I have kept the good unit as a spare and have everything on board to change out whilst afloat using airbags.
I am undecided to sell or keep for spare. A replacement unit goes for around 6k plus and you would be getting it for 25% of replacement value.
Shipping would not be a problem and I can handle the packing.
You may want to consider upgrading yourself?
WOC -- finally got my boat back in the water on Friday. Took them 10 days to repair -- they claimed that the cone was too glazed to lap, the f so they had to replace it. Claimed that they had to get parts shipped from Japan. This is after I called their parts department, and they said that Atlanta had one, I could get it shipped overnight. I still don't know what the damage is going to be on the cost. They are going to try and give me an upgrade cost to a SD60, which I might eventually do, but the fleet I am in has at least three boats with SD50s -- all newer than mine, so we are all going to need a replacement sooner or later.

If you are willing to sell for $1200, I would be happy to take this SD50 and put it to good use.

Tags
sail, saildrive, sd50, yanmar