Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 20:07   #1

Boat: Hunter 41DS
Our Dream Changed

Our story
My name is Mario and my wife is Lyne two new young retired from the Canadian forces and our plan was to travel around the world in our Sailboat Hunter 41DS 2008 that we bought 2 years ago, We were ready to go this year after preparing for the pass 5 years (many ASA courses and hrs of hand on sailing). The beginning of our voyage was schedule for October 2011. But due of my wife knees, back and hips condition that got worst this year we had to change our retired plan, doing sailing is a lot of work and this is not a stable environment (heel) for my wife condition. We decided to change from a sailboat to a power boat like a trawler to live aboard and travel the east coast through the center America then on west coast and back, for the next 4 to 5 years taking our time and visiting places on a slow pace.

We have a beautiful house on a golf course than we wanted to keep for after our trip but with the change in our retired plan we decide to sales our sailboat, the house and cars to allowed us the upgrade to a trawler (the cost to operate sailboat vs trawler $$$$).

I sent you some picture of the sailboat, house and cars to have a look and In case somebody some where has some interest in our asset or has good idea. Lot of Canadian owner has there boat for sale all over the USA we never know.

Until we sale our asset we are open on trade them for trawler plus getting cash for the différence. We are looking for a trawler 34’ a 41’ from 2008 to 2010 The time frame is not an important factor, but has to be in a reasonable period in order to enjoy the trip during the time we are still able to do it.

Not too many people have dream likes us. We work hard for many years to build a retirement plan to enjoy.

Thanks you any replay. We are open to suggestion

Mario & Lyne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	32748   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	32749  

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	32750   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	32751  

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	32752   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_hyundai_tucson_20320482-E.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	32753  

Old 18-10-2011, 21:24   #2

Boat: Niagara 35
I have no idea of the economics of it all, but have you considered a catamaran sailboat instead? No heel, no tight spaces. If you outfit it properly, you will be able to single-hand the boat so if your wife is having a bad day, she won't need to help with trim or anything.

Just want to throw out the option. PM me if you want to talk more about it.
Old 18-10-2011, 23:47   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Re: Our Dream Changed

Certainly don't throw out the auxiliary power of a mast. Most power boats come with just one engine, it breaks or runs out of fuel and it stops. Motor sailors make for easier sailing, less sail and heel, more use of power, cheaper to run, more mods cons, more options for progress in poor weather.
There is also the option of reducing your mast height (sail area) on what you have, adding fuel tankerage, heating etc. Depends how much you like what you've got and if it's OK for long cruises. Personally I find sailing the easiest part of life on my old knees, mainly 'cos I'm sat down most of the time.
Trawlers? Ugh.
Old 19-10-2011, 02:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our Dream Changed

Hi Guys...
I'd opt for the Catamarran vote as well... they've two engines (in the main), run much more economically under motor and can turn on a dime making parking a doddle... great for skipper AND crew.
They are more stable than a mono of any type so easier to move around on... big plus...
and the accomodation is splendid in comparison both in space and convinience...
Go Multihull...
Hell... you might get to keep your house as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-10-2011, 04:19   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm not going to try to talk you into/out of anything and hope your plans work out for you.
Old 19-10-2011, 04:23   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Don't give up!

My wife has a degenerative spinal disease that made it impossible for her to do more than keep watch when I needed to go below, so she could call me if something needed attention. I set our boat up for single-handed sailing, and we spent some of the best years of our lives cruising the Chesapeake Bay and the West Indies. I had friends crew with me for the long offshore passages between the States and the islands, and my wife and the cat would fly down to join me.

You can find a way to make it work!
Old 19-10-2011, 10:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Looking at your assets I'm impressed at the level of paycheck in the Canadian armed forces !!!!!!!!
Old 19-10-2011, 10:44   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

When I read that post I'm wondering if it is genuine.... the wording, mistyping etc make me think of the spam email we received from Nigeria or else ..............
in my family there was a lot of military personel... never this kind of assets even in our dreams
Old 19-10-2011, 12:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
When I read that post I'm wondering if it is genuine.... the wording, mistyping etc make me think of the spam email we received from Nigeria or else ..............
in my family there was a lot of military personel... never this kind of assets even in our dreams
Sory for my English but we are french, We work are ass off to get those asset, we build 3 houses by ourselves before this one , it toke 35 years to get where we are.

this has nothing do do with the military if you dream of something you work for it, there is no freebie in life.

Mario & Lyne
Old 19-10-2011, 12:32   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Your english is just fine Mario, beaucoup meilleur que mon français!

Good luck with adapting your dreams...

Not trying to influence you one way or the other but have you considered the cat option? And what was your decision based on?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 19-10-2011, 12:36   #11

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Welcome to CF. I would support the idea to look at a catamaran. I have never owned one but sailed extensively on a friends in NZ. They sail flat and smooth and with my experience with power there is no glide through the water as their is under sail and that could also adversely affect your wife's condition. Constant vibration and plowing into waves.

Whatever way you go best of luck.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 19-10-2011, 13:07   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb075769 View Post
Sory for my English but we are french, We work are ass off to get those asset, we build 3 houses by ourselves before this one , it toke 35 years to get where we are.

this has nothing do do with the military if you dream of something you work for it, there is no freebie in life.

Mario & Lyne
I wish my French was as good as your English.

Like others, I would seriously look at a catamaran before you pull the trigger on the trawler. Whatever your decision best of luck. Hard work should have some rewards. And whatever you do don't give up the dream. There is a solution out there.
Old 19-10-2011, 13:10   #13

Boat: Olson 40

Your reasons to switch to power are pretty much the same as ours. Just one more boat, so its got to last until we are both quite unable to keep sailing. The dinghy is for sailing.
Old 19-10-2011, 13:22   #14

Thanks for your input , we never give up our dream just make it better for both of US.
Old 19-10-2011, 13:37   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Looking at your assets I'm impressed at the level of paycheck in the Canadian armed forces !!!!!!!!
Just because you work for "da man" for 8 or 12 hours a day don't mean you can't work for yourself during the other hours.......