Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:17   #46

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
Re: Rudders - Steering

This is how I plan to fix my broken steering. The new plate will be of a stronger and heavier type than the original one. See picture below.
At the same time I get a better support for the batteri, and an extra shelf on the port side.
I don't want to build to much downwords, as suggested be catmando, as it will interfere with engine maintenance.

Why it broke without blowing the AP-fuse I don't know. My plate may have had a weak spot, but nothing is visible. But I do feel that the original plate is made of a rather cheap material, and the connection between the vertical and horisontal plate is only epoxyglue, on a rather small connecting area.
My suggestion for a precaution fix for the rest of you is to make and install a AIS316 steel support plate, as indicated with red on the drawing. It will connect the vertical plate more solid to the steering mount bolts.

I would not define the incident as critical. The manual steering was still working after it broke, but with less effect. The AP was of course still fully operational, as was also the options of steering with your engines or with the emergency tiller. So as long as you don't tend to loose your head very quickly, the incident should be managable. A working emergency fix should also be possible to arrange fairly easy, even at sea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rep styrefeste.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	27183  
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:31   #47

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Edmund,

Nice robust design.
I will follow your lead and add support as you have shown.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 17:09   #48

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Play in Steering

Hi Guys

Since new I have had a lot of play in the steering. I used up all of the adjustment on the cable end (aft) which improved things but it is still not great.

The problem seems to be that the distance from the steering box to the mounting is too long for the cable outer. I am planning to move the mountings once I have worked out the geometry of it all to make sure I don'y loose any travel.

I would imagine this problem is not unique to me and was wondering what you guys may have done to fix it?

Cheers
Martin
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 17:42   #49

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro

If your removing and replacing rudders in the water, just a hire a diver for an hour, he may not even need air for a quick 45 second shaft alignment or assistance.

Also, hydraulics can get junk clogging the openings and reduce the power or effectiveness..just a thought.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 23:12   #50

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayacondios View Post
Update: We met with the FP Broker here in Aus (Multihull Solutions) last week and they really stepped up to the plate, even though we are just out of warranty. They are ordering bearings, and we will then get hauled out and have an engineer look at exactly what the issue is. MHS is paying for the haulout and fix. That's really exceptional to get some support with this issue. Will post findings and outcome asap.
Rozzie
That's great news Rozzie, please post the results of what you find.

Nice to here MHS is supporting the FP product.

Taking in all the great ideas on this post I'm thinking that getting some new outer bearings made of bronze or SS is the way to go.
I don't expect it to be cheap but at least it should only need to be done once.
It may be worth getting a run done on them.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 15:09   #51

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios

Regarding my original post of tight steering/rudder bearings.

We were just hauled out and the engineer inspected/dropped the rudders.
The problem was the steering had become so tight it was difficult to steer.

I have to say that there was no major issue found. The rudder stocks were cleaned, there was some slight calcifications and a small amount of electrolysis which were cleaned up. The engineer suggested that a ground wire somehow be attached to the rudder post. The bottom bearings were changed but not major issue there.

I was hoping there would be a definitive reason why this happened, so we could prevent it from happening in the future but there isn't one.

The broker (Multihull Solutions) covered us on this issue, and we're very happy with their support.
Now with the steering freed up, we can get back to the important business of cruising!
Sorry no photos, it took quite some time for the engineer to drop the rudders, they don't just fall out, he had to really work them back and forth to drop. He undid all the couplings and then by working it back and forth eased them down. Same with going back in, they are held tight. But steering is good now.

Rozzie
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 13:05   #52
cruiser

The broker (Multihull Solutions) covered us on this issue, and we're very happy with their support.
At last some positive comments about a great bunch of guys who have " always" been more than supportive when given a chance to any FP owners.
We are lucky to own what is after all a great brand of production catamaran , criticising the boat on this forum only achieve one thing , " it devalues your boat" ! So lte's keep up the positive comments whenever possible .

Cheers
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 15:13   #53

Yes well everyone has their opinions and they are entitled to them. The value of this forum is the honesty and passion of the posters.
Saying nice things things about your boat is good but if there is a problem it should be exposed and discussed so a solution can be found.
FP have a well documented history of being a bit shy in the warranty department.
It now appears that they have changed for the better and that is great news for all of us especially people like me with a warranty certificate signed by Mr FP.
Rozzie it's great to hear you are back in action, has there been any discussion about what will happen if the problem returns?
Did the engineer replace the outer bearings, or just the inners?
Old 27-06-2011, 23:35   #54

Hi DL,
Just the inners were replaced (the white nylon bearings) as well as cleaned up the rudder stocks. Although there was not much to indicate why the steering was so stiff it's all better now. I was hoping for a big "ah ha" but no luck.
I have the impression that if it gets stiff again, that we will be able to drop them ourselves and clean. Maybe it's the tropics, it seems that everything takes so much wear up here in Cairns. Between the warm water and UV, it takes a toll.
Regarding the previous post and critiquing FP boats. I love my Mahe, still wouldn't want any other boat, were very happy. I think we came into buying a new boat, with realistic expectations. No new boat is perfect, it's not possible nor realistic. Would I buy again new, of course. There is value in both new boats, and used ones, different advantages. When I read about problems with boats, I don't think for one minute it devalues the boat, rather, the fact that so many FP owners are online and discussing fixes and issues, is a real advantage. Every boat is going to have things that need to be fixed and improved. I know the value of my boat will be based upon the market at the time of selling (which hopefully is never!!) FP boats are in my opinion great boats, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Im going to continue to express myself on this forum freely, and I hope others will do so as well so our knowledge base continues to grow. I get asked almost weekly about FP boats by people on the docks, and love to tell them how much we love ours!
Rozzie
Old 29-06-2011, 18:01   #55

Yeah Rozzie the inners are very cheap (I think), they were only 33 euro each so I now carry two as spares.
There only seems to be a few weak points on the FP so it's good to know about them and carry spares just in case.
I'm trying to track down hatch rubber seal for the Goit hatches if anyone knows where to buy it?
Old 29-06-2011, 19:15   #56

DL
Aren't you in Australia? Just yesterday we went to a Clark Rubber store and got rubber for all the hatches. They have various shapes and sizes. We purchased the round solid type (7 mm) for the bathroom overhead port which has had the dick from the UV. It was only about $4 a meter. They were more than happy to give us samples cuts for sizing checks as well. Surly there must be a rubber store near you. I just love that store, so many useful bits and pieces!
ALSO !!! we got some replacement rubber with self sticking tape to use on bottom of the wooden bildge covers to prevent squeaking. Weve had it wear off in a couple of places.

Rozzie
Old 29-06-2011, 19:19   #57

Yeah thanks there is one nearby, didn't even think of them.
4 bucks a meter happy days.
Old 03-08-2011, 20:17   #58

Boat: Foutaine Pajot Mahé 36 Evolution (#126)

Hello,

When I am going backward, my steering wheel turns like crazy till the max. To prevent that (which is a big pain when going back to forward just after), I use a rope to bind the wheel to the winch. Has anyone found a better idea to make sure the wheel is blocked at 0 during harbor maneuvers?

Thanks in advance

Alex
Clipperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 22:04   #59

I just keep my knee on the wheel and hold it in place.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48   #60

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Alex,

I also put my knee on the wheel to hold it in place as vayacondios does.
Its so automatic now that I forget I am even doing it.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering