Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2023, 18:47   #16

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Raymarine SeatalkHS data in OpenCPN

Quote:
I can't select Raymarine as a brand when trying to set up the plugin
There are two Raymarine in preferences "Radar selection". Try one at the time and see.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 04:54   #17

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHuizing View Post
Thanks...that frankly does not sound too hopeful.
I'm a newbee to this and more or less assumed that a mainstream ethernet protocol like SeatalkHS would be supported in OpenCPN.
Actually not sure why I get a lot of tips on converting stuff to NMEA? That will never allow input of anything more than low speed data like GPS or depth...or am I missing a point here?
My E120 is connected via STHS to an E80 on the flybridge by only one ethernet cable. The E80 displays everything including radar and even camera images.
My simple thinking was that if the E80 can do this it would not be too hard to have OpenCPN do it?

Cheers,
Andre
Andre,

I don't really see the problem. The released version of the radar plugin supports E120 radar. So connect you PC or Mac through ethernet (Seatalk HS) to you E80 and you are ready to go. Install OpenCPN, get the radar plugin through the plugin manager, that's all.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 09:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
There are two Raymarine in preferences "Radar selection". Try one at the time and see.
Thanks Hakan! Turns out I hadn't updated to the latest release Have done so now and was able to get the radar on the PC! It's still a bit hit and miss when it comes to actually getting the Radar window to pop up. Often I'll try to click the Radar logo and nothing will happen. After re-installing the plugin it then magically works again. I haven't tried the overlay yet because I don't have NMEA data on the pc yet (so no position/heading).

If anyone has experience picking up NMEA data from the SeaTalkHS network then please let me know. I'm still struggling to get that to work. I have a SeaTalkNG connector available close to the PC however I'd rather not spend E270 (!) on a SeaTalkNG to USB converter. The PC is hooked up to the Raymarine plotter directly and (in theory) the plotter does share that info over the network (similar to having multiple plotters in one network).

@Douwe - We've been emailing separately (thanks for the tip to upgrade to the latest version! ). I notice you are located in Harlingen. Our port is Makkum so if you ever want the opportunity to take a look how the plugin works with a Raymarine RD418D you're more than welcome aboard!
xc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 22:53   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42s7

I am curious as to the same issue...
I have a full raymarine system running NG and HS, and older Dataline box for old system. Also have com-usb cable running out of a raymarine DSM30 box (which the previous owner had networked but don't know how), and have tried network directly out of HS box, but can't get any connection/recognition via opencpn????
FarrGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 05:20   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42s7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc50 View Post
Thanks Hakan! Turns out I hadn't updated to the latest release Have done so now and was able to get the radar on the PC! It's still a bit hit and miss when it comes to actually getting the Radar window to pop up. Often I'll try to click the Radar logo and nothing will happen. After re-installing the plugin it then magically works again. I haven't tried the overlay yet because I don't have NMEA data on the pc yet (so no position/heading).

If anyone has experience picking up NMEA data from the SeaTalkHS network then please let me know. I'm still struggling to get that to work. I have a SeaTalkNG connector available close to the PC however I'd rather not spend E270 (!) on a SeaTalkNG to USB converter. The PC is hooked up to the Raymarine plotter directly and (in theory) the plotter does share that info over the network (similar to having multiple plotters in one network).

@Douwe - We've been emailing separately (thanks for the tip to upgrade to the latest version! ). I notice you are located in Harlingen. Our port is Makkum so if you ever want the opportunity to take a look how the plugin works with a Raymarine RD418D you're more than welcome aboard!
So how are you linked directly to plotter?
FarrGone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, marine, opencpn, raymarine, seatalk