Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2014, 11:13   #1

Raymarine SeatalkHS data in OpenCPN

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and am looking hard for a way to make use of the SeatalkHS/Ethernet connection between my E120 and PC with OpenCPN. I think most data including Radar etc. is available in the STHS connection. Is there a Plugin (planned) to use this in OpenCPN. Have searched but could not find one and think more people will be interested in this.

Thanks in advance for your reactions.

Cheers,
Andre
AndreHuizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 11:57   #2

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: Raymarine SeatalkHS data in OpenCPN

Interested... posting to follow.
Old 15-12-2014, 03:49   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Andre such a plugin is entirely possible however no one has stepped forward to program that plugin. There are some sources for the seatalk to nmea conversion which might make it easier to do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 12:02   #4

Thanks for the replies, very useful. I actually had not realized that OpenCPN has the option "network" when creating a new connection. Have not tried this yet. Anybody knows if this is usable to get the data from the SeatalkHS ethernet?
Pushing it here: would it also be possible to get Radar image info from such a connection (as my analog radar is connected to the E120 and I understand it can transmit the digital radar image over its connectors).

Cheers,
Andre
Old 15-12-2014, 14:03   #5

Andre, you can get a seatalk - nmea converter from raymarine and connect opencpn to read the nmea data.
Old 15-12-2014, 14:23   #6

Boat: Phantom 19

Andre...
Read Seatalk HS interface / RaspberryPi - Raymarine Technical Forum
You might be able to reverse engineer the protocol as was done with Lowrance and Garmin radars. It is impossible to do without access to the actual HW and noone I'm aware of has such access, so you really are on your own.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 12:15   #7

Thanks...that frankly does not sound too hopeful.
I'm a newbee to this and more or less assumed that a mainstream ethernet protocol like SeatalkHS would be supported in OpenCPN.
Actually not sure why I get a lot of tips on converting stuff to NMEA? That will never allow input of anything more than low speed data like GPS or depth...or am I missing a point here?
My E120 is connected via STHS to an E80 on the flybridge by only one ethernet cable. The E80 displays everything including radar and even camera images.
My simple thinking was that if the E80 can do this it would not be too hard to have OpenCPN do it?

Cheers,
Andre
Old 25-03-2023, 04:54   #8

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHuizing View Post
Thanks...that frankly does not sound too hopeful.
I'm a newbee to this and more or less assumed that a mainstream ethernet protocol like SeatalkHS would be supported in OpenCPN.
Actually not sure why I get a lot of tips on converting stuff to NMEA? That will never allow input of anything more than low speed data like GPS or depth...or am I missing a point here?
My E120 is connected via STHS to an E80 on the flybridge by only one ethernet cable. The E80 displays everything including radar and even camera images.
My simple thinking was that if the E80 can do this it would not be too hard to have OpenCPN do it?

Cheers,
Andre
Andre,

I don't really see the problem. The released version of the radar plugin supports E120 radar. So connect you PC or Mac through ethernet (Seatalk HS) to you E80 and you are ready to go. Install OpenCPN, get the radar plugin through the plugin manager, that's all.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 13:10   #9

Raymarine SeatalkHS data in OpenCPN

Andre...
Capture the packets on the ethernet cable and see for yourself.
SeatalkHS is obviously not that mainstream as nobody seems to have done it yet.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-12-2014, 16:59   #10

Andre, you are going to have to do some reading to understand how to convert your Seatalk Interface to NMEA for OpenCPN. There are a number of hardware devices that will do this for you.

These converters will give you GPS, Wind (apparent & true), and all the other data you have available on the seatalk bus converted to Nmea so Opencpn will be able to use it.

Additionally, there is often an "In" Nmea connection which will permit Opencpn to send data (instructions) in Nmea through the converter to the Seatalk bus.

Many Mux devices such as Brookstone, Articsense, Digital Yacht etc have Seatalk conversion.

See these links:
Raymarine SeaTalk NG Networking
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...1166_5_WEB.pdf
Raymarine NMEA 0183 Multiplexer
Boat Projects: Beginners Guide to Raymarine's Seatalk and Derivatives
Raymarine Seatalk - NMEA bridge for Brookhouse multiplexer
Thomas Knauf Â*Â*Â*Â*SeaTalk Technical Reference
Shipnetwork – OpenSeaMap-dev
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/index.html

Quote:
Seatalk1 is ray's propriety version of nmea 0183. Seatalk1 is readily able to be converted to nmea 0183. Raymarine supply an accessory (Part #E85001) for converting Seatalk to NMEA 0183. Also, ShipModul's and Brookhouse's MUXes also convert Seatalk to NMEA 0183. Alternatively, if you have the ST60 repeater, you will find a NMEA output on the device which can connect directly to a SOB COM port.
You should understand that none of these devices will provide the necessary connections to Raymarine Radar, that will require additional programming of a new OpenCPN plugin for that purpose.

Pavel, you may not see that many Raymarine Display's and Radars where you are, but I can assure you that they do have a very sizeable share of the recreational and commercial market. Their current "e" Series is a very attractive display with many good features and their radars are excellent [we have a very early monochrome screen, Autohelm Radar which is still working well.] The new radars are also very good and if an OpenCPN plugin were developed it might be used quite a bit, however the users that buy Raymarine, I think, are generally are looking for a full system, similar to Furuno users. However Raymarine users need to speak up about this, and some Raymarine user with the programming skills might step up to the task..

Old 19-12-2014, 17:08   #11

Rick...
Seatalk and SeatalkHS are two completely different beasts. While Seatalk has about 100% of the market where I used to be sailing most of my life, I have never ever seen SeatalkHS network on a boat...

Pavel
Old 19-12-2014, 17:42   #12

Yes Pavel, you are absolutely right about SeatalkHS, ....sorry, read the post too fast.
Old 20-12-2014, 07:52   #13

OK, thanks all. I think I need to go the Seatalk/NMEA route. That will solve most things except the radar overlay...I guess.
As with most things: If it seems to easy to be true, it probably is...

Cheers,
Andre
Old 10-04-2016, 16:37   #14

Any update for this. It would be nice to use a PI and eithernet cable to my C90W...

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 16:42   #15

Boat: Valiant 42

Greg,

You can put your request into the feature request system at opencpn.org. I don't think this is requested very often though. Your C90W has NMEA out I believe. That will work with OpenCPN.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, marine, opencpn, raymarine, seatalk