Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23   #1

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
PENDRIVE MINI PC FOR WINDOWS - ANDROID

I wonder if this tiny pendrive PC can run OpenCPN for display on an Android Tablet using TeamViewer or similar. Could have a portable USB drive attached for all maps,data etc.

Have a look at the specs: What is it? | FXI Technologies

I have written to the developers for confirmation.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotton Candy PC.png
Views:	262
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	67112  
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35   #2

There is one from Dell called Ophelia and one from Google called Chromcast but as far as I can tell they are all really just made for cloud computing and streaming from the web.
jasonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47   #3

Re: PENDRIVE MINI PC FOR WINDOWS - ANDROID

Or,perhaps this one,also with local wi-fi connection,used with TeamViewer or similar,will allow control from an Android Tablet. A bit pricey at £ 295.- but perhaps a solution?

Have a look: Intense PC with Ivybridge CPU - The Slim, Tough, Powerful Fanless PC | Tiny Green PC

Tore
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Or,perhaps this one,also with local wi-fi connection,used with TeamViewer or similar,will allow control from an Android Tablet. A bit pricey at £ 295.- but perhaps a solution?

Have a look: Intense PC with Ivybridge CPU - The Slim, Tough, Powerful Fanless PC | Tiny Green PC

Tore
This is definitely something I'd lean towards as the core PC for a boat computer system. £ 295 is cheap, when you're talking boats
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14   #5

BUT,there again,why waste more money when you can continue using your laptop until an Android solution is found for OpenCPN? TeamViewer or similar programs allow you full control of your Windows based laptop via LAN from an Android tablet in the cockpit.

If the Android tablet were compatible with a Linux based OpenCPN running on the Tiny Green PC,it would make more sense and could also be accessed via LAN.

A pity the Samsung ATIV Q has been delayed owing to patent problems,it runs BOTH Windows8 and Android at the touch of a button.

Tore
Old 12-09-2013, 14:08   #6

Here are the Intense PC options available: (Both Windows and Linux)

I have contacted the manufacturers of the Intense PC in the UK for information as to whether it is compatible with Android tablets.

Looks interesting with many options.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intense PC Options.png
Views:	342
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	67122  
Old 12-09-2013, 17:23   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
(...) until an Android solution is found for OpenCPN (...)
Is such a solution planned?

Last time I asked I heard "nothing in the pipeline, nothing planned".

I too would like OpenCPN for Android.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:15   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sinbad7,

I think this might be an excellent solution. Has a Bay for 2.5” SATA HDD which could have a semi solid state HD. Lots of connectivity including wifi and bluetooth, many choices of low power processor, and FANLESS.

Why not just run Linux with Opencpn? There must be a Teamview type program that works with Android and Linux?

http://www.tinygreenpc.com/fit-pc/intense-pc.aspx
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 02:35   #9

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
There must be a Teamview type program that works with Android and Linux?
There is:
Splashtop
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 07:17   #10

If Linux Mint is compatible with one of the Linux options of OpenCPN I do´nt think you´d need TeamViewer or Splashtop? Just connect a screen,keyboard/mouse via bluetooth and the Intense PC via LAN. The same would be the case for a Windows 7 installation actually.

If you want to use your Android tablet,I guess you´d need Splashtop or TeamViewer.

Tore
Old 13-09-2013, 10:51   #11

Or, you could lean on your brain a bit, follow copy and paste instructions, save money if you already own an android device and run OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment. Don't know why your making things so difficult and costly for yourselves.

Easy to read and follow instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 13:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Or, you could lean on your brain a bit, follow copy and paste instructions, save money if you already own an android device and run OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment. Don't know why your making things so difficult and costly for yourselves.

Easy to read and follow instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
If all you want to do is run OpenCPN on an existing GPS-equipped Android tablet... this is cost-effective, agreed.

If you're stretching towards a single-PC boat solution that does more than the garden-variety tablet can, or gets integrated into an existing instrument package, or becomes an open-source instrument replacement, than a decent central PC with tablet slave(s) is reasonable.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 14:07   #13

Way more stuff there than you need. Also depends upon how and where you sail. What is your need and what are the limits you place on meeting your needs energy wise?

If you have sufficient battery capacity to run a laptop and all the other gadgets in your scheme, very well. But for sailors who don't meet your reserve capacity, have limited real estate for solar panels and no room for a generator your scheme is unattractive.

I carry a laptop aboard but very rarely need it for anything. It is a backup to my tablet - because I tend to break things. Even then, I've dropped my Motorola Xoom four or five times. Not a scratch. I can use my Garmin USB or internal tablet g.p.s.. My choice. As far as using all the features available with OpenCPN is concerned - I don't need them. And, if on a rare occasion I did, I could fire up the laptop.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 17:52   #14

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Perhaps available at the beginning of next year? --Would make a good Pendrive cpu, smaller format 22u ----> 14u

Quote:
Intel's Haswell Reaches a Low 4.5 Watts SDP

Intel's Haswell Reaches a Low 4.5 Watts SDP
Intel confirmed on Tuesday that a new fourth-generation Core processor will be available operating at as low as 4.5 watts SDP, or scenario design power, in addition to the 6 watt versions. Both chips will be available in the second half of 2013, and allow device makers to produce the first fanless 2-in-1 and tablet designs based on Core processors.

Then in early June, Intel launched the Core "Haswell" family. At the time, the company said it had exceeded its expectations on power reduction at the CPU level to as low as 6 watts and also worked across the system for power optimization. Active power was improved as was idle power by architecting new ultra low-power processor states where the CPU consumes a fraction of the power compared to previous idle states, the company said.

Now with a 4.5 watt Haswell chip in sight, consumers will see thinner, lighter laptops and hybrids (convertibles, laptops-tablets, whatever) because manufacturers may not need to compensate for CPU fans. The need for CPU cooling will likely rely on the device's overall focus: Will the consumer need a high-performance product, or a solution for word processing, Internet browsing and forum trolling? Whatever the case, fanless seems to be on the immediate horizon.

So far it's unclear whether tablet makers will update....
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind