Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 00:48   #811

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
Quote:
2. This is the last call for .po files. Really. Some uploaded .po files have had problems. Please check yours carefully. The latest French .po was corrupted, and could not be used....
I've encountered a lot of problems with CVS -> .po files. The best is to delete the local .po file and let CVS download a new one.

Bart
Old 12-06-2010, 02:10   #812

Dave,

I did not tested on these latest versions but I remember that OpenCPN installer on windows required Administrator privileges. Is it a real need or it is possible to change/set installer to allow installation without admin rights?

Ciao, Marco.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24   #813

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
Dave,

I did not tested on these latest versions but I remember that OpenCPN installer on windows required Administrator privileges. Is it a real need or it is possible to change/set installer to allow installation without admin rights?

Ciao, Marco.
This is a windows feature and not dependend on OpenCPN
So OpenCPN cannot do anything about this.

Peter
Old 12-06-2010, 02:26   #814

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Maybe, but the problem is that there is no ORIENT attribute (as you can see in the Object Query), so there is no way to rotate the symbol... When you have a look around, it looks like CM93 is pretty fuzzy about these symbols and they don't align with the RECTRCs properly - I especially like the one in the middle of Braatoe island at 058 05.795 N 011 26.505 E Really not sure whether it's worth the rasterization rules modification... Any MaxSea (or something else displaying the CM93 charts) user who could have a look at this place and let me know how they handle it?

Pavel
The real information we are looking for is the direction of bouyage, specially when it's far from obvious. In this regard I think that IALA System A countries are clearer as most of them use cardinal marks at ambiguous points.
US on the other hand is using System B, and has chosen not to implement any cardinal marks.

I think that later editions of CM93 is getting a bit better, the ? marks are generally on the recommended track line, and the "orient" is available in the recommended track properties. In my chart from May 2009 the Braatoe island ?-mark is corrected and is on the track just west of the island.

So this feature probably could be coded, but I don't think that this is necessary as the information is already displayed in another way.
In many places the recommended track is displayed directly on the chart. Se chart below, "064" left middle.
Even though it's a 2 way route it says 064 not 064<->244. This indicates the direction of bouyage. Proceeding on the track in this direction, expect "red to port", as Sweden uses System A.

"Skaapesund" on the chart below is interesting, as it is a "changeover-point" where red and green swaps side if you continue along the track. Interestingly CM93 is very vague in information in this vicinity and don't give the orient property to the track.

As always is the case, as long as you know where you are and have a chart, the direction of bouyage is less important and can be deduced.

All in all, a low priority feature.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conway2.png
Views:	182
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	16960  
Old 12-06-2010, 02:45   #815

Dave

I have had a few infrequent crashes in later betas. Of course they have happened when not using ddd!! A while ago I managed to catch the bugger!
Looks like a version of the old gdk bug??
This happened when quickly zooming in on 29N x 49E, down to C level CM93 chart and then activating quilting.
Using RC611b.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crash.png
Views:	233
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	16961  
Old 12-06-2010, 03:06   #816

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
2. This is the last call for .po files.
mailed the latest German .po file to you!

Gunther
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermoree View Post
This is a windows feature and not dependend on OpenCPN
So OpenCPN cannot do anything about this.

Peter
Hello,

Windows requires admin rights in few special cases like when you want to install a driver or a service, when you want to access directly to the hardware, or want to do something for another user (or for all users), etc. In fact I have tens of application installed with only user rights (Firefox, Google Earth, etc.)

Unless OCPN needs to install a driver or access directly to COM/USB bypassing the installed drivers, I think there should be a way to build a user installation, without requiring admin rights.

Ciao, Marco.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:40   #818

setdarts bug report on sf

Dave
I can confirm that setdarts crash reported on sf, is still valid on 611b. Link: SourceForge.net: OpenCPN: Detail: 3013491 - Crash when selecting chart directories without chart

To recreate, I did the following: Created on emty directory.
Added this as a chart directory in the toolbox alongside CM93. Clicked OK. Went back again to the toolbox, deleted the CM93 directory, so that only the empty directory remained. Then I ticked the box, Force full rebuild, and clicked OK => Crash!

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crash1.png
Views:	243
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	16962  
Old 12-06-2010, 03:40   #819

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
Quote:
Windows requires admin rights in few special cases like when you want to install a driver or a service, when you want to access directly to the hardware, or want to do something for another user (or for all users), etc
OpenCPN (could be)/is installing a VC Redistributable Package, Microsoft.VC80.CRT for ALL users
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39   #820

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
As always is the case, as long as you know where you are and have a chart, the direction of bouyage is less important and can be deduced.

All in all, a low priority feature.
Thomas,
thanks for the info, I can't agree more that CM93 is "interesting" in some cases. It supports my decision to not even commit this into the rasterization rules as it will not clear anything and could even more confuse the user if it was displayed as Q130.2 symbol without orientation...
Jakobsson...
Sorry, we will not be able to make CM93 look exactly like the paper charts - but as Thomas explained earlier in a great and I suppose understandable detail, the info is not missing

Pavel
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Question: Would it be possible to have the previous releases also for download? Unfortunately I have deleted my built 611a file.

Quote:
---Release Beta RC611b---

Notes:
1. GPX ',' and '.' problem resolved.
Unhappily the same issue appeared again with RC611b ... !
I cannot test it once again with RC611a, due to deletion of the file.

Gunther
Old 12-06-2010, 04:57   #822

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Yes you are right, but your examples are either Windows specific or have access to very large programming staff to research the drivers etc. The whole idea of OpenCPN is a relatively simple source that can be coverted to executable programs on various operatingsystems without to much effort.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:25   #823

Pavel,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Maybe, but the problem is that there is no ORIENT attribute (as you can see in the Object Query), so there is no way to rotate the symbol... When you have a look around, it looks like CM93 is pretty fuzzy about these symbols and they don't align with the RECTRCs properly - I especially like the one in the middle of Braatoe island at 058 05.795 N 011 26.505 E Really not sure whether it's worth the rasterization rules modification... Any MaxSea (or something else displaying the CM93 charts) user who could have a look at this place and let me know how they handle it?
here is a screenshot (sorry about the ugly colors, it is because the CMap application runs only with 256 colors) from the original CMap program:

As you can see there must be some kind of orientation info.

Hope it helps?
BTW: IMHO it is a useful information which definitely should be displayed.

Gunther
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46   #824
Marine Service Provider

BlueGillBoy....

Thanks for the report.
AFIK I make no changes to quilting logic between 611a and 611b.

Which release are you using that works well?

Can you describe a repeatable scenario where it jumps from quilt to no-quilt? I have the Chicago BSB charts...

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51   #825
Marine Service Provider

Gunther....

I can't remember...Are you building opencpn for windows from source? Or only using the windows installer?

Dave
Closed Thread