Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 00:23   #976
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
I uninstalled previous OCPN and cleaned my registry with ccleaner (just in case). Then I installed the 620 beta.

After instal the program crashed the first time after specifying chart directory and indicating rebuild of database.

The second start shows an error in the logfile (8:49:43 AM: Initializing Chart D:\data\Drabant 22\søkort\OpenCPN\kms\S_104_200000.kap
8:49:43 AM: Error: can't seek on file descriptor 48 (error 131: der blev forsøgt at flytte en filpointer til før begyndelsen af filen.)
8:49:43 AM: Chart File corrupt in PostInit() on chart D:\data\Drabant 22\søkort\OpenCPN\kms\S_104_200000.kap
8:49:43 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart D:\data\Drabant 22\søkort\OpenCPN\kms\S_104_200000.kap... return code 2
), - but the program seems to survive. I have seen that error before, but not frequent.

After a couple of success'es the program crashes again (with a blank screen, showing no charts), and after restart the program finally crashes again when panning around in my charts.

I'm a little careful uploading my charts because of copyright, but I could leave all sixty-something on my dropbox with a PM to somebody knowing how to debug Vista/CPP (unfortunately I'm not) and being able to re-construct.

Any ideas??
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (22.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (2.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 21-06-2010, 04:58   #977

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
2.x rendering bug with CM93 map ???

I have a strange behaviour with CM93 in some specific cases. I get the impression, that it only happen with zone close from land, where some part of the display is not covered by the map.

My samples are extracted from Golf of Morbihan (Britanny/France) but feature looks generic. Note that I tested with two versions of CM93 that I have. The error differ because map borders are not exactly on the same line, but outside of that, global behaviour of the error is equivalent.

Error scenario:

If I move the map zone close from the land where some part are not covered. OpenCPN start to display some grey zone even in places where a map exist (Image1)

If I move the map, then the grey part disappear, but OpenCPN remove any detail from the map (image2).

If I zoom on the low detailed map, then all details come back ??? (image3)
Old 21-06-2010, 05:16   #978

Beta 2.x improvement proposal

Trying in situ on my boat the 2.x beta version, I noticed two small usability problems.

1) Tracking mode should ignore invalid data. My PC received GPS inputs from my board Seatalk bus. In some cases it receives invalid position. OpenCPN's tracking then move my boat to default location somewhere on US coast and draw a big read line crossing the Atlantic. I think tracking should understand that boats do not navigate at speed light, and should ignore invalid inputs. Note that I get invalid data in few standard cases (ex: Laptop sleep/wakeup cycle to save battery, someone standing on GPS antenna, ...).

2) Preventing mouse wheel from zooming. While I love mouse's wheel zoom feature at home, when on my boat with 35knt of wind and a shaky sea, using the mouse is not easy and this zoom feature because a nightmare. When your boat start dancing on waves, it because almost impossible not to activate the wheel/zoom by mistake.

This being said, I will like OpenCPN much better than my stupid C80 official board tracer
Old 21-06-2010, 06:19   #979
Marine Service Provider

OEM...

I guess we need to see your charts. If you dropbox them, I will download and test, without further distribution. You could PM me a password if you like.

Fulup:
3 points:
1. You seem to have two sets of cm93 charts loaded. 2 yellow/brown chart bars. This may produce strange results.
2. Try quilting mode on cm93 to better manage cm93 chart scale switches.
3. I need more information on your GPS tracking problem. Do you have "Track" toolbar active? Can you give me some idea of "invalid GPS position" from your Seatalk?

Thanks
Dave
Old 21-06-2010, 06:56   #980

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Hi Dave,

I have done a bit of work on the anchor watch code. Most of the work was on the logic. I also increased the number of safe/hazard areas to a combined total 5. Included is the url for the patch and a few screen shots. I have only tested this on XP.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2091730/opencpn.patch

Paul
Hi Paul,

I've had a look at your patch, nice work! Here are a few comments:

Would it be possible to move most of that code in a ocpnAnchorWatch class with internal variables (points, max dist, alert status, alert ack...), public functions to draw, check alarm, play sound, etc. That way, changing the number of safe areas, adding sound alarm would be easier without changing any of the core OpenCPN code (easier to maintain IMHO).

Also, please use spaces instead of tabs ; OpenCPN is written that way ;-)

Thanks a lot.

I'll probably get back to you soon: I'm working on a generic ocpnSound class to manage & play sound in OpenCPN. You might add sound alarms in the anchor watch code
Old 21-06-2010, 07:36   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
OEM...
1. You seem to have two sets of cm93 charts loaded. 2 yellow/brown chart bars. This may produce strange results.
2. Try quilting mode on cm93 to better manage cm93 chart scale switches.
3. I need more information on your GPS tracking problem. Do you have "Track" toolbar active? Can you give me some idea of "invalid GPS position" from your Seatalk?
1) Yes I loaded two set of CM93 (old+new) in order to check if it was coming from my chart or not, but having only one (my normal case) set does not change much.
2) Quilting mode does not change much. Nevertheless I go now a mix of hight definition and low definition chart, that I never seen before (Snapshot)
3) For Tracking, I need to double check further on board. Tracking almost works, nevertheless depending on some special circumstances like (computer on/off). It fails to get GPS position for few seconds, by boat icone turn black (normal) and my tracking get crazy.
Old 21-06-2010, 07:53   #982

Boat: Fantasia 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethDart View Post
Would it be possible to move most of that code in a ocpnAnchorWatch class with internal variables (points, max dist, alert status, alert ack...), public functions to draw, check alarm, play sound, etc. That way, changing the number of safe areas, adding sound alarm would be easier without changing any of the core OpenCPN code (easier to maintain IMHO).
Looking at how Dave did his mods to the anchor watch code I think he has some ideas on what and how he wants the code to evolve.

Quote:
Also, please use spaces instead of tabs ; OpenCPN is written that way ;-)
I know better -- but just went along with what I found in the code where I was making my changes.

Quote:
I'll probably get back to you soon: I'm working on a generic ocpnSound class to manage & play sound in OpenCPN. You might add sound alarms in the anchor watch code
The patch already supports sound alarms. They are setup and activated on the bottom of the AIS config page.

Paul
Old 21-06-2010, 08:03   #983

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwm10 View Post
Hi Dave

Downloaded the new 620 beta and when I ran it and checked on the help file it said it was the rc615a version. The opencpn.exe file from the new download is dated also 16 june.

Is this correct ????? for the rc620a beta

Regards .... Doug
on OpenCPN.org it still says the file is 615a, but when downloaded it installs 620. Runs fine. The confusion I sometimes have is that all releases have the same file name, that doesn't include the version number, so I get them mixed up sometimes. Try again... should work fine for you.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:19   #984

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven
depth units

found a little thing when switching depth units - when switching from feet to either metres or fathoms, the numbers (depth) shown on screen changes instantly on "OK".

when switching from metres or fathoms, the depth numbers don't change unti a zoom in or out.

:build 620, XP, ENC charts of sturgeon Bay WI.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:22   #985

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
I have a strange behaviour with CM93 in some specific cases. I get the impression, that it only happen with zone close from land, where some part of the display is not covered by the map.

My samples are extracted from Golf of Morbihan (Britanny/France) but feature looks generic. Note that I tested with two versions of CM93 that I have. The error differ because map borders are not exactly on the same line, but outside of that, global behaviour of the error is equivalent.

Error scenario:

If I move the map zone close from the land where some part are not covered. OpenCPN start to display some grey zone even in places where a map exist (Image1)

If I move the map, then the grey part disappear, but OpenCPN remove any detail from the map (image2).

If I zoom on the low detailed map, then all details come back ??? (image3)
Complex issue...
1 - up to the 2008 release of CM93 (at least on some well-known Russian site) there was a large-scale chart for the 'Golfe du Morbihan' (Gulf of Morbihan). (vectorized version of SHOM chart 7034 1:25000)
2 - At lower zoom level, different PARTS of this area were covered by (at least) 5 SHOM charts at widely different scales 7034 (1:25000), 7033 (1:50000), 6990 (1:355000), 7067 and 7068 (1:161000)
4 - The large-scale 6990 chart is grayed-out at 1:52300 zoom level when its bottom limit is in the top-half of the screen. The rest of the top-half and the bottom half is chart 7033 (1:50000).
6 - The large-scale 6990 chart is NOT grayed-out at 1:52300 zoom level when its bottom limit is in the bottom-half of the screen. The rest of the bottom half is now chart 7068 (1:161000).
7 - Everything is fine at zoom level 1:104700 or 1: 26100.
Now
8 - On the 2009 and 2010 releases, the large-scale 7034 chart is no longer available, so the 6990 chart is also grayed out at zoom level 1:26100 and lower

Does quilting fail when attempting to display 1:50000 and 1:355000 charts on the same screen ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golfe.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	17254  
Old 21-06-2010, 09:46   #986

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegillBoy View Post
on OpenCPN.org it still says the file is 615a, but when downloaded it installs 620. Runs fine. The confusion I sometimes have is that all releases have the same file name, that doesn't include the version number, so I get them mixed up sometimes. Try again... should work fine for you.
It's a wiki after all, feel free to correct releases and links as Dave announces them. Sometimes I'm a bit out of sync, as Dave prefers to release new betas when I'm asleep, for some reason....

Thomas
Old 21-06-2010, 09:52   #987
Marine Service Provider

SailorF54...

Can you give me a lat/lon reference for this area you are studying?

Thanks
Dave
Old 21-06-2010, 09:55   #988
Marine Service Provider

Cagney....

Yes, I always seem to release around 0400 Z.
As my forehead hits the keyboard, it hits the "Upload" button....

Dave
Old 21-06-2010, 09:57   #989

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Can you give me a lat/lon reference for this area you are studying?
Dave,
047 35.019 N 002 49.392 W

My hobby between typing in the domain administrator password for the 200th and 201st time in the past 10 hours

Pavel
Old 21-06-2010, 11:02   #990
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
195. Save and restore AnchorWatch state on application shutdown and startup

Dave
Thats great. Really good. Love it.

The set off mark is excellent when put at, say, -500 as it puts a line about .25 wide.

3 setable marks would be terrific.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread