Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 21:21   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
about the code being checked using an update commercial version of Lint for C++. From your question it is my guess that you don't have access to one. I don't have access to one either. However, their maybe someone on the forum that does. Maybe they wouldn't mind checking the OpenCPN source code and letting us know what they find.
Valgrind is an excellent start, and free for all..
Old 04-06-2010, 05:23   #662

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Single Waypoint

Hi all,

did I miss something, or is it not possible to create a single waypoint (and activate it)?

First thing I mentioned is that it is not possible to create a new route from within the Route Manager (this might be something to add in future version ). So you have to click on the icon in the toolbar.

But when creating only just one waypoint end then select End Route, the waypoint disappears.

When cruising this is quite a usual situation I believe. You want to set one waypoint to cruise to (and have the route window shown up).

BTW: The Route window (in the upper right corner of the chat window) is a bit too narrow, or the font size of the headings ("Route" and "This leg") is too big, as in many languages other than English the text is a bit longer.

Gunther
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47   #663

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Hello, Bonjour,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
Hi all,

BTW: The Route window (in the upper right corner of the chat window) is a bit too narrow, or the font size of the headings ("Route" and "This leg") is too big, as in many languages other than English the text is a bit longer.
To prolong told Netsurfer :

We became aware, seeing the questions composed on our forums, that the French "mariners" were not understanding "ETA".

We have translated by "Heure d'arrivée :"

But this is too long for the available space.

In a future version of the file language, we will fill in by "Arrivée :" But it will be less understandable.

Best regards.

Gilletarom

-------------------- Version française :

Pour prolonger la remarque de Netsurfer :

Nous nous sommes rendu compte, en voyant nos forums, que les marins français ne comprenaient pas "ETA".

Nous avons traduit par "Heure d'arrivée".

Mais c'est trop long pour l'espace disponible.

Dans une prochaine version du fichier de langue, nous remplacerons par "Arrivée :" mais ce sera moins compréhensible.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:04   #664

Chart scale, True scale

Hello,

Working with: W, XP, Asus 1001 HA 10"
OpenCPN: 210-527a
Displayed chart: BSB raster U.S.A. 11009_1.kap at 1/1200000

At the bottom of the screen I see : "True scale: 377500 Zoom 2.7"
I thought that the true scale was equal to 1200000/377500 but it makes 3,17... and not not 2,7.

Which is my mistake ? Unless it be OpenCPN who makes a mistake ?

Best regards,

Gilletarom.

-------- L'essentiel en Français :

Je pensais que l'échelle vraie était égale à 1200000/377500 mais cela fait 3,17... et non pas 2,7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-06-04_Echelle_carte_Echelle_vraie.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	16706  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32   #665

[OT]

Gilletarom,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
We became aware, seeing the questions composed on our forums, that the French "mariners" were not understanding "ETA".

We have translated by "Heure d'arrivée :"
as I worked on the German translation I did not translate "ETA" (estimated time of arrival), because imo it is a prevalent acronyme (other examples are CPA and TCPA in conjunction with AIS).
So maybe some kind of glossary may help your users ...

Gunther
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49   #666

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Nous nous sommes rendu compte, en voyant nos forums, que les marins français ne comprenaient pas "ETA".

Nous avons traduit par "Heure d'arrivée".
As far as I know, the term ETA is international standard terminology in aviation, GPS, etc., and is in use in German and French:

Définition du mot ETA, "Estimated Time of Arrival", heure d'arrivée

When I was translating the German version it did occur to me this might be an issue, but the abbreviation has to be short doesn't it If you got a Garmin GPS, you'd have to look it up in the manual if you didn't understand it. German particularly does have lots of long words, but there's also a tendency to go on and on unnecessarily at times..

I think Arrivée should be fine, or alternatively leave as ETA and have a remark in the help file / programme help option (as and when that materialises ).
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57   #667

Quote:
Gilletarom,

as I worked on the German translation I did not translate "ETA" (estimated time of arrival), because imo it is a prevalent acronyme (other examples are CPA and TCPA in conjunction with AIS).
So maybe some kind of glossary may help your users ...

Gunther
Even putting a glossary we will not resign this question like that.

The bad knowledge of the English by the Frenches of a portion and the fact that it is an acronym then again, convinced us that one was must throw this acronym (ETA) with the dustbin.

Gilletarom.

------ En français :

Même en mettant un glossaire, nous ne résoudrons pas cette question la comme cela. La mauvaise connaissance de l'anglais par les français d'une part, et le fait que ce soit un acronyme d'autre part, nous ont convaincu qu'il fallait jeter cet acronyme (ETA) à la poubelle.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post

I think Arrivée should be fine, or alternatively leave as ETA and have a remark in the help file / programme help option (as and when that materialises ).
When we will have it written up, can be each in our language for example with a system of type poedit?

------ En français :
Quand nous l'aurons rédigée, peut être chacun dans notre langue, par exemple avec un système de type poedit ?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26   #669

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
did I miss something, or is it not possible to create a single waypoint (and activate it)?

But when creating only just one waypoint end then select End Route, the waypoint disappears.

When cruising this is quite a usual situation I believe. You want to set one waypoint to cruise to (and have the route window shown up).
Seconded, this is actually something that irritated me in a real world situation, on a daysail, I just want to "aim" for some location flexibly and get the bearing on an ongoing basis.

Instead, I have to make two waypoints, then place one "near me" and use the XTE etc from the route. The route on single waypoint could just automatically start where the boat is at if that is necessary for the logic.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59   #670

Boat: Dufour 35
With a little trick you can actually achieve a one wpt route.
When making a route leftclick twice, and you have two marks on top of each other. Rightclick and end route, then activate in Route Manager. Once you have a route with two marks on top of each other, it is possible to delete one, and it still works as a route with just one mark!

Further, with any route consisting of two wpts, delete one, and the other wpt will work as a one wpt route.

Thomas
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49   #671
Marine Service Provider

Cagney....

Boy, is that sneaky......

Note that one-point routes will not be saved and loaded in the config file....
Which I guess is what one wants in this situation.

I'll think about a right-click "GoTo" function, which creates a two point route from the current ship position to the cursor position, and activates it. Should I mark it for deletion at arrival?

Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 14:24   #672

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Should I mark it for deletion at arrival?
I would say (vote for) "Yes".
Otherwise one can create a "normal" route.

Quote:
I'll think about a right-click "GoTo" function
Thanks !

Gunther
Old 04-06-2010, 16:03   #673

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
What is the reasoning for not having single point way point functionality? Im lost. I assume it has something to do with the maturity of the software or just dont want the program to be a point storage tool.

I have about 300 wps in the Keys that are lobster holes or grouper holes. I may want to enter all of those or a few but none as a route.

As people adapt touchscreens into their cockpits they are gonna start requesting a MOB button too. Just a thought.
Old 04-06-2010, 16:26   #674
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN Version 2.1.0 RC 604

Hi there....
OpenCPN Version 2.1.0 RC 604 is ready for download and test.

http://opencpn.org/downloads/beta/opencpn_210_setup.exe

Changelog:
147. Correct recognition and minimal handling of Polyconic charts.
148. Handle NMEA HDG message with no variation field.
149. Handle invalid data from libgps.
150. Handle old style GLL Sentences with 4 data fields.
151. Correct BSB rendering logic for auto-follow, quilted mode, in large scale.
152. Implement support for 9600 and 38400 baud GPS receivers. New ComboBox in Toolbox->GPS.
153. Correct ownship predictor rendering when ownship and predicted point are both offscreen.
154. Correct track logic to not add trackpoints in time mode if closer than .01 NM (~20 Metres)
156. Implement <alt-arrow> key viewport scrolling for 2 pixel resolution.
157. Add "LookAhead" mode for CourseUp displays when autofollowing.
158. On quilted S57 charts, Object Query info is now taken from largest scale chart at cursor..
159. Implement "GoTo Here" on right-click context menu.
160. Improve logic for selection of first destination RoutePoint on Route Activate.

---Release Beta 604---

CVS is updated.

Notes: This is a Release Candidate. Large bugs will of course be fixed. Small problems and feature additions may be deferred until the next maintenance release.

New .po files are requested from all translators. I think all messages are complete. .pot file available in CVS.

Thanks, and Good Luck
Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 16:38   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
I have about 300 wps in the Keys that are lobster holes or grouper holes. I may want to enter all of those or a few but none as a route.
In this case you can use Marks for example (with icon Fishing Spot and name them) and export them by using the GPX OUT function.
Use GPX IN for re-importing them.
And with the new "GoTo Here" function you can navigate from your current position to whatever fishing spot you want.

Quote:
As people adapt touchscreens into their cockpits they are gonna start requesting a MOB button too. Just a thought.
That is often requested. And it is simply the icon that is missing, as the functionality exists already (CTRL + Space).

Gunther
Closed Thread