Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55   #256

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

ejs,

I downloaded GPS Share WIFI and LOL with WIFI off, data disabled and android hotspot enabled the apk still works! So provided a tablet is capable of serving as a hotspot those of us with gps chips that do not provide nmea data can use our devices with OpenCPN! You are to be commended for your discovery and much thanks!

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31   #257
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Armido,

I'm glad you tried GPS Share WiFi. It does work without any connection to another device and so should work just fine offshore. That is what I need too!

I am sorry for the confusion with the links, apparently the forum software makes links from keywords in the text to try to sell us things on ebay. I did not include any links at all in what I typed.

I have loaded CM93 charts and they seem to work as expected, I do have random crashes of OpenCPN when I zoom in and out. I have tried several different versions of Debian and both the AMREL and AMRHF versions. I also compiled once with the -o2 option to optimize the code (which seemed to run a bit faster than the debug option, expected but it was noticable) It does not seem to be a function of the GPS connection, it crashes sometimes without GPS Share WiFi running. I guess I will have to learn how to load the debugger and send in a crash report. The same CM93 charts work fine on my PC running windows.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 15:34   #258

Eric,

I also have problems with C-MAP charts closing OpenCPN at particular zoom levels. However the only region that appears to be affected is between Galveston and Orange, Texas. I suspect the cause is added features to the C-MAP charts affected in the Charts/Vector chart settings. One of these days I'll add them one by one until I get a crash. Too lazy at the moment.

I don't know about the links, but certain words seem to be highlighted from time to time without input from me.

armido
Old 12-05-2013, 18:33   #259

To all,

Now that we've at least overcome obstacles to using built in gps with OpenCPN, I thought it would be a good time to remind everyone the instructions for installing OpenCPN in a chroot linux environment on android tablets is here:

Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido
Old 13-05-2013, 16:25   #260

Share WIFI has an option for pairing with a bluetooth device. If someone who has a bluetooth gps would test to see if they are able to use their device with OpenCPN through GPS Share WIFI and report their results here it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 15-05-2013, 13:27   #261

To all,

Regarding CM93 charts. I have through a process of elimination determined the features listed below cause OpenCPN to terminate if activated. If you are experiencing problems with CM93 charts "crashing" OpenCPN at different zoom levels the easiest way to address this issue is select all available features then deselect those below. There may still be problems at zoom levels I did not test.

Obstruction
Traffic seperation scheme, lane part
Wreck

Have no clue why.

armido
Old 17-05-2013, 18:21   #262

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

How does one install OpenCPN on an android tablet? Is there and app on google apps? I've read this thread and I may have missed it, but it appears from what I can tell so far is you need to turn your android tablet into Linux?

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:04   #263

Gary,

The main reason I frequently repost the link to the instructions is because most people, including me, will not wade through an entire thread trying to find information they need/want.

The installation instructions are here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Android is not replaced by Linux. When Linux is started android continues to operate and you can switch back and forth between them.

Follow the instructions and you should not encounter any problems. Deviate and you can end up wasting a lot of time. Everything is reversible...

armido
Old 18-05-2013, 08:10   #264

To all,

For up to date information on using gps with OpenCPN when on an android device per the instructions - link in my previous post - see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-103649.html

armido
Old 31-05-2013, 17:28   #265

Heeeeyah! Yippy yippy ky yay yay!

I've done it!

Got my external USB Garmin GPSmap 76Cx working with OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment!

Details later, just had to let everyone know it is doable.

armido
Old 31-05-2013, 19:23   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
Heeeeyah! Yippy yippy ky yay yay!

I've done it!

Got my external USB Garmin GPSmap 76Cx working with OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment!

Details later, just had to let everyone know it is doable.

armido
It is an unfortunate fact that most android tablet brands have operating systems missing modules (drivers) we need to use USB devices.

Unless the manufacturer of your device is responsive to requests by users that certain modules be enabled in the operating system's kernel, you are out of luck. And, considering the infrequent updates (OTAs) issued by manufacturers - you are very unlikely to ever get the module(s) you need in a timely manner.

In order for us to use a Garmin external USB gps with OpenCPN on our devices, two modules and a program are required.

1.) USB to serial module - pl2303
2.) For Garmin, 'garmin_gps'
3.) and a program called 'gpsd'

It is possible non-Garmin gps units will work without a gps module. Check with your gps manufacturer and or peruse: GPSd — Put your GPS on the net! If you have a Garmin you must have the garmin_gps module.

Using a good android file management progam like FX, downloadable from Google play, navigate to /etc/init.d in the android system. Your device must be rooted before you can do this. If you do not see the pl2303 and garmin_gps module (for Garmin owners), you are out of luck - unless. Explanation follows below. If you own any other gps, the presence of pl2303 may be enough.

Those of you who do not have have the necessary modules would most likely be wasting your time asking your device manufacturer to enable them and issue an update in a timely manner.

So, what choice do you have?

Wireless Xoom owners can go to xda-developers [ROM][4.2.2] My Android 4.2 for Xoom Wi-Fi (20130217) - xda-developers and learn how to install a custom ROM for their device. Once installed, check if the above mentioned modules are present. If not, I will post a request to the developers that they be enabled in their next build. Owners of the mz601, G3, UMTS can grab the necessary custom ROM here: [ROM][4.2.2 JDQ39 AOSP] Eos 4.0 -- Umts_Everest - xda-developers Your in luck because within two days of my request the garmin_gps module was enabled. pl2303 was already active.

All other brands should locate a suitable custom ROM for theirbdevice at xda. Once installed check for presence or absence of the required modules. If they are missing let me know and I'll put in a request for you. Unless you have satisfied minimum posting requirements at xda, you cannot post in development forums.

If you followed my instructions: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage , gpsd will already be installed in your linux system.

How to do it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Bed time.

armido
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36   #267

How to get your external USB gps working with OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment?

1.) Follow my installation instructions Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage .
2.) Confirm you have the necessary android drivers - pl2303 and for Garmin devices garmin_gps. See last post for how to do this.
3.) For Xoom owners you will need an OTG cable for connecting the gps to your android device. USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Other device owners should determine whether this cable is required. Use your favourite search engine. They're cheap. Use the cable that came with your gps to connect to the OTG cable.

For Garmin users, loading the android pl2303 and garmin_gps modules is facilitated by creating two executable files in /etc/init.d . Use the android FX file manager downloadable from Google Play to create the files and change permissions to make them executable.

Users who's gps does not require a driver only need the first file that loads pl2303.

Contents of files:

1.) *******************
#!/system/bin/sh
modprobe pl2303

2.) ********************
#!/system/bin/sh
modprobe garmin_gps

For Garmin users only! If you do not have a Garmin, the second file will be different if your gps requires a driver. Type the name of your driver in place of 'garmin_gps. If no driver is required for your gps, the second file is not needed.

Once the necessary file(s) have been created reboot your device.
Open an android terminal (downloadable from Google Play).

At the prompt:

su
<enter>
lsmod
<enter>

You should see output indicating pl2303 and garmin_gps (Garmin users only) modules are loaded.

Connect your gps and turn on.

At terminal prompt:

'dmesg'
<enter>

This should provide output confirming your gps has been recognized and a socket created /dev/ttyUSB0 through USB?. The socket created consistently for me is /dev/ttyUSB5.

'lsusb' will list your usb devices. The gps device will be something like Bus 002 Device 002: ID 091e:0003 Garmin International GPS (various models)' . Adapt the numbers from Bus and Device to the next step.

Next, 'ls -l /dev/bus/usb/002/002 (last number given by lsusb) confirms the device exists.

Assuming user is logged as root the command to start gpsd is 'gpsd -n -D 6 -N /dev/ttyUSB5 or whatever USB number was indicated in the dmesg output.

If everything has been done correctly you should see data output from gps.

Using FX file manager create another file in /date/local/linux//mnt/etc/init.d called 'startgps'
Copy and paste into the file:

#!/bin/sh
sudo killall gpsd
sudo gpsd -n -D 6 -N /dev/ttyUSB5 &
#Note: substitute the ttyUSB device number obtained with 'dmesg' command.

Save the file and change permissions so it is executable.

Start Linux Deploy. Click on the arrow icon at the top right. It is pointing downward.
Enable 'Custom startup' then click on Script file. Type /etc/init.d/startgps.

Stop Linux Deploy.

Reboot your android device.

Open Linux Deploy and click on start.

Open your VNC viewer (akRDC)and connect to the desktop. Start OpenCPN.

Click on the wrench (settings) in the menu bar.
Click on Connections.
Click on Add Connection
Choose Network and GPSD. Address will be normally be localhost. DataPort 2947.
Click on Add Connection.
Choose Serial. DataPort will be /dev/ttyUSB5 or whatever USB port number was indicated in the 'dmesg' command. Baudrate 4800. For Garmin users select Use Garmin (GRMN) mode for input and Use Garmin GRMN (Host) mode for uploads. Accept other default options.

BOTH CONNECTIONS MUST BE ENABLED! Why I do not know...

Click on Apply.

Your gps should be working in OpenCPN.

Problems? Post here for assistance.

armido
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53   #268

In the previous post the following has errors:

"Using FX file manager create another file in /date/local/linux//mnt/etc/init.d called 'startgps"

This corrects the errors:

Using FX file manager create another file in /data/local/linux/mnt/etc/init.d called 'startgps

armido
Old 05-06-2013, 16:13   #269

To all,

I've enjoyed initially stitching this project together using readily available tools and with valuable contributions from others. My knowledge of Linux, however limited that may be, helped me along - and I encourage you to learn as much as you can about this freely available operating system and programs.

It's time I passed the role of cheer leader and responsibilty for maintaining this project to someone else. I can't say who that might be. Maybe you.

Happy to have brought OpenCPN on android to sailors everywhere.

Bob Lorenzi
s/v armido
USA
Old 05-06-2013, 18:34   #270

Tags
opencpn