Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 14:16   #436

Boat: Islander 30 Mk II
Re: OpenCPN General

After playing with a new Simrad NSS I discovered that the Tier1 service built into the unit's GOFREE is readily readible by OpenCPN. In the OpenCPN Connection settings all you need is the TCP address assigned by your DHCP server with port 10110 and voila the NMEA data streams in. This feature even works with WIFI linking. The Tier1 tookkit is at
GoFree Developer Toolkit - Simrad Yachting . Since the Lowrance system uses the same feature this is probably also functional for their latest units.
cowelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14   #437

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
After playing with a new Simrad NSS I discovered that the Tier1 service built into the unit's GOFREE is readily readible by OpenCPN

Very interesting, I had read GoFree and and understood it required at least one Display unit for it to work. What does this allow in Opencpn?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08   #438

Correct. You need one of the newer Simrad NSS, NSO or NSE units or a Lowrance HDS with the Gen 2 package (GOFREE) . These units receive the NMEA0183 and NMEA2K data from the field and re-transmit it in "TCP/IP NMEA0183" over an Ethernet cable to the PC running OpenCPN where it's displayed. Without the MFD there isn't any signal. The Sim/Low approach is probably no different than Raymarine's newest system which also uses WIFI. You can download a free app for all of the above if you have a iPhone or iPad. I'm curious to see what it'd take to have the other Simrad Tiers available but understand there's a great deal of liability involved due to the control aspect of the system.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14   #439

"..newer Simrad NSS, NSO or NSE units or a Lowrance HDS with the Gen 2 package (GOFREE)" ...."receive the NMEA0183 and NMEA2K data from the field and re-transmit it in "TCP/IP NMEA0183" over an Ethernet cable to the PC running OpenCPN where it's displayed. Without the MFD there isn't any signal."

That's unfortunate, ...but it is nice to know that a PC can receive Tier One, if there is an MFD. I was hoping to avoid that expense.
Old 06-04-2013, 17:08   #440
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Peterson 44

I have a Lowrance HDS Gen 2 . I've read the above comments by cowelld a couple of times and can't get my head around what I need to do.

There is a spare ethernet connection on the unit that connects the structure scan module to the HDS8 MFD - do I simply connect a ethernet cable from that to the PC and then set up a new connection in OpenOCN?

"all you need is the TCP address assigned by your DHCP server"

How do I find the TCP address?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25   #441

richardhc I think there is an answer on the Radar Overlay Plugin thread and the
Navico BR24 Radar - Open Source protocol implementation
There may be another thread on Radar too. Try doing a search on those threads.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54   #442

Boat: jeanneau 40.3 dolphin

I want to download AIS plugin and some other but i have trouble with the downloads. Did anyone know why the dll.file make trouble. Windows XP system. I cant open the file
danamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 13:24   #443

Danamatic. You are unspecific and so we cannot help. Where did you try to download? What file? What was the trouble? What does make trouble mean?
I have downloaded libaisradar_win32_pi17_v096_pi.dll from PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage successfully. I have also tried using it and it works fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 14:30   #444

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamatic View Post
I .....AIS ... . I cant open the file
Danamatic,

May I ask you to be more precise, which OpenCPN version is running on your computer ?

My PC is running on XP SP3, O 3.2 and all the plugings extract from the OpenCPN Pluging page (the one specified by rgleason) are working fine.

serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:59   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhc View Post
I have a Lowrance HDS Gen 2 . I've read the above comments by cowelld a couple of times and can't get my head around what I need to do.

There is a spare ethernet connection on the unit that connects the structure scan module to the HDS8 MFD - do I simply connect a ethernet cable from that to the PC and then set up a new connection in OpenOCN?

"all you need is the TCP address assigned by your DHCP server"

How do I find the TCP address?

If you don't have a WIFI and are connecting directly from the PC to the HSD then you'll have to find out what is the default TCP/IP address used by Lowrance.

During boot-up the display unit automatically configure its IP addresses. If no DHCP server is available, all devices select an IPv4
Zeroconf link local address as described in RFC3927[6]. All units emit Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMPv3[7]) subscription announcements.

On the NSS the address is 169.258.173.207 so you'd enter that and the port number as 10110. I don't know if it's the same for the HSD series. To find that out you'll have to use Wireshark and look at the address coming from the HSD. It's broadcast with an IGMPV3 message.

If all that's Greek to you then you'll have to find someone who understands Ethernet protocols else someone else here who has a similar unit and can directly get the address.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:01   #446

RFC3927 Zero configuration networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wireshark · Go deep.
Introduction To Wireshark

Cowelld I am afraid many on this forum are high level hackers and programmers, and it is a complex subject with variables, so you won't necessarily get step by step directions, but they are very helpful, so perhaps you can take on putting together a step by step procedure, along with a description of what you are doing to successfully connect your Lowrange HSD. I certainly would be interested!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Danamatic. You are unspecific and so we cannot help. Where did you try to download? What file? What was the trouble? What does make trouble mean?
I have downloaded libaisradar_win32_pi17_v096_pi.dll from PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage successfully. I have also tried using it and it works fine.
It is from Plugins Official OpenCPN HOmepage, and I have with succes downloaded LOG Book. But when I try the AIS radar or some of the others my computer will know what program to use for open the file. I Use Windows xp but my other computer using windows 7 and here is the same problem. I have tryid to open with Adobe reader without succes.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
Danamatic,

May I ask you to be more precise, which OpenCPN version is running on your computer ?

My PC is running on XP SP3, O 3.2 and all the plugings extract from the OpenCPN Pluging page (the one specified by rgleason) are working fine.

serge
It is the Open cpn plugin side I have tried to download. I have with succes downloaded Log Book, but when I try AIS radar and others my computer will know which program I will use for open the file. I have tryed Adobe reader without succes. My computer is using Windows xp - but i have the same problem with my other pc which use Windows 7.
Old 09-04-2013, 13:30   #449

Boat: Phantom 19

danamatic...
Please re-read About Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage - you don't "open" the plugin with anything, just copy it to the plugin directory. The logbook is the only exception that has an installer on Windows...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55   #450

Thank you for your help. Now i got it in Opencpn with succes.