Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 18:48   #61

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.604 Released

hello,

Ah ... I just read the post from Pavel in the I18 ... Post which means to wait.
Well I will wait, we will wait for the next pot file.
Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:14   #62

Hello,

Before I installed O3.3.604, I use O3.2.2. The dashboard was Ok. After parallel install 3.3.604, the dasboard is not visible in list with 3.2.2.

Pfuuuuu.

OpenCPN becomes too complicated. It should, but this is a dream, that the parallel installation also uses a parallel version of the initialization folder.

B.R.

Gilletarom.
Old 21-06-2013, 06:33   #63

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gilletarom,
Dashboard will work if recompiled using v3.3.604 because there must be error checking code added, as I understand it.

So we should have a plugin dll for v3.2.0 and one for v3.3.604(beta) that has error checking code. The earlier dlls do not seem to run with v3.3.604 and do not appear in the settings > plugins list.

I believe if you go to Opencpn Beta file thingie you can download a Dashboard version compiled under 3.3.604, but let me know if not. I can make one for you and post it..
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:59   #64

Hello,

First:
I re-install 3.2.2 and then, I have dashboard. (I have also two versions of grib).

It seem that it run correctly.

Then,I shutdown O3.2.2 and I run O3.3 and dashboard run correctly.
After some test, now, dasboard run coorectly with 3.2.2 and with 3.3 604.

Second:
I read your post and I am going on thingie. There is a line for 3.3.604 but not file for dashboard.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 21-06-2013, 08:34   #65

You, know, I've been testing with Opencpn 3.2.0, 3.3.424 and 3.3.604 with Climatology.

The Climatology version compiled in 3.2.0 is compatible with all Opencpn versions going forward, I've tested this on Opencpn 3.2.0,3.3.424 & 3.3.604. I believe that is the intent, so my previous statement is incorrect, sorry.

Perhaps Dashboard is a different case because it is part of the package, but I have enabled Dashboard in 3.3.604 and it works. Try downloading a fresh version.

-Just read your post. Sorry don't have dashboard in file thing

Best
Old 21-06-2013, 10:12   #66
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

It is a specific goal that old PlugIns continue to run with new versions of OCPN, either releases or betas.

You should never need to recompile a legacy PlugIn against the current github sources in order for it to run.

Of course, PlugIns evolve, just as does the core. Some PlugIns will release with new version numbers to take advantage of some new features in the PlugIn API. But that should not break older versions of the same PlugIn.

If you ever find this architecture not to be the case, please raise a red flag

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 11:56   #67

Dave, Thanks for your note, it is helpful.

This morning I had a forest and trees problem, I think, and my testing experience confirmed exactly what you wrote and what I should have remembered from Pavel. The plugins act consistently with what Dave wrote above to the extent that I have tested.
Old 21-06-2013, 12:07   #68

Put your note in the DLL upload area for Opencpn Beta - file thingie
Old 22-06-2013, 10:42   #69

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Dunno what was happening at the dock the other night but yesterday we had the first of the longish cruises that I referred to earlier and right on schedule I got a crash about 2/3 of the way across Juan de Fuca. This time I got the nice neat OCPN error handling routine too. ZIP file is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf e04d899e-7969-43cb-bc40-9e7e085912e4.pdf (472.0 KB, 40 views)
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 11:01   #70

Notice about Sean's new plugins Weather_routing (for Opencpn v3.3.604) and Climatology (one for v3.2.0 and forward, and another for v3.3.604 and forward)
See notes #63 & #64. You need most current Opencpn v3.3.604 for Weather_routing to use Climatology gridded data for routing.
Old 22-06-2013, 16:31   #71
Marine Service Provider

Bobofthenorth...

Thanks for the crash dump. It is readable and informative.

The crash occurred in a spot where I have never seen trouble before (it figures...) This crash may not be the root cause of your experiences, but may be a side effect of something else. It seems to have nothing to do with NMEA data output.

However, we can work around the crash location and address this symptom temporarily, and see what happens next.

Accordingly, please turn OFF the "ShowDepthUnits" check box on the Options->Display page.

I know this seem like a funny fix to an I/O problem, but that is where the crash happened, so we go there first.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:03   #72

Hello,

Alarm :

With 3.2.2, I can choice alrm wav file and I can test this alarm.
With 3.3.604, I can choice alarm wav file but I cannot test it.

Weather routing :
With 3.3.604 and last weather routing dll, I have a message which speak to climatology. See screen copy.

If I try to run weather routing, the message show up. The same message show up when I try to chutdown OpenCPN 3.3.604.
(I have install climalogy plugin and I thing that I have correctly installed the data for climatology plugin. It seem also that climatology plugin run Ok)

Best regards, Gilletarom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-23-OpenCPN 3.3.604_Weather-Routing_Climatology.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	63041  
Old 23-06-2013, 03:50   #73

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello,

Alarm :

With 3.2.2, I can choice alrm wav file and I can test this alarm.
With 3.3.604, I can choice alarm wav file but I cannot test it.

Weather routing :
With 3.3.604 and last weather routing dll, I have a message which speak to climatology. See screen copy.

If I try to run weather routing, the message show up. The same message show up when I try to chutdown OpenCPN 3.3.604.
(I have install climalogy plugin and I thing that I have correctly installed the data for climatology plugin. It seem also that climatology plugin run Ok)

Best regards, Gilletarom
Gilletarom

I have no problem wih he alarm sound or testing on Linux.
On XP however I find the same thing as you. The problem may be in the dialog were the sound is selected. When selecting one of the standard eight files, the dialog closes before it is possible to click OK.
It's doubtful if a sound is selected, but then there should be a default sound....

Regarding the Weather Routing and Climatology Plugins, I can't see that this is a 3.3.604 problem as both these plugins have changed a lot since the last beta release.
I have not followed the discussion regarding these plugins closely, but suspect that some plugins said to be compiled with 3.3.604, actually uses changes in the git master, committed after the beta release (without changing the release number). This could easily develop to a real mess....and is one of the reasons why we have released beta versions.
I think that the best thing to do, for most beta tester, is to wait with the testing of these plugins until the next beta release of OpenCPN.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:52   #74

Sorry, I forgot to say that the 3.3.604 version I'm talking about in post # 72, that is downloaded from the thingie yesterday. This is not one that is available on the website opencpn.org.

B.R. Gilletarom

Add :
I'm between sea voyages I had a few days to update me over OpenCPN. So I did with what I found. I think I am angry with RGleason, but it was not my goal.
Indeed, the presence of two versions of the beta, with the same name, is too difficult to manage.

That said, the issue raised is still valid on the sounds and the second version, which is also called 3.3.604, solves some problems for plugins. I finally got to see them on my ASUS under W7.
Old 23-06-2013, 04:02   #75

Thomas,

I don't think Gilletarom is using the Opencpn.exe I left next to weather_routing and climatology plugins, because he does not read instructions.

Lars has it running without the error. We could not wait for an "official" issue of beta on sourceforge. Sean is leaving and this must be tested, as it was I spent two solid days screwing around with MSVC errors and refusal to compile properly, due to the error checking in the main program, I believe, so when I got it running in the compiled release after issuing many git pulls of Opencpn, I also uploaded the current version of Opencpn.exe that I used, and left very clear instructions, under a "BETA" title.

I asked Gilletarom NOT to continue testing, and that I was sorry for any inconvenience. I know he does a great deal and is an excellent tester and strong user. So I am sorry he got angry at me. I hope he will try it again sometime later, when he has the time.

Tags
opencpn