Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 18:38   #1

Setting up GPS on Mac

New to OpenCPN. Versin 3.2.2. Software update says all OK. Trying to set it up on my iMac at home before getting it going on a MBA. Have BU353S4 GPS. 2 questions.

System information shows a "USB-Serial Controller D" by Prolific Technology. That doesn't sound like a GPS and the GlobalSat manual says it should say "USB device." When I unplug the GPS the USB Serial Controller does not remain in the device tree. Plug it back in and it returns. Am I seeing the BU353? If not, how do I get it to show up?

The OpenCPN manual says to click tool box. I assume that's the icon with the wrench on it? Then goto the GPS tab. There isn't one. There is a "connections" tab. Will that help me? Is there another place to look for the tool box and GPS tab?

Geoff
GeoffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 19:06   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Setting up GPS on Mac

Geoff...
Yes, the Connections tab is the place. The Mac specific instructions in the manual need a bit of attention. Preferably from someone having a Mac, a GPS and a little bit of insight in how it works...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 20:26   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Setting up GPS on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffK View Post
New to OpenCPN. Versin 3.2.2. Software update says all OK. Trying to set it up on my iMac at home before getting it going on a MBA. Have BU353S4 GPS. 2 questions.

System information shows a "USB-Serial Controller D" by Prolific Technology. That doesn't sound like a GPS and the GlobalSat manual says it should say "USB device." When I unplug the GPS the USB Serial Controller does not remain in the device tree. Plug it back in and it returns. Am I seeing the BU353? If not, how do I get it to show up?

The OpenCPN manual says to click tool box. I assume that's the icon with the wrench on it? Then goto the GPS tab. There isn't one. There is a "connections" tab. Will that help me? Is there another place to look for the tool box and GPS tab?

Geoff
Yes, the USB-... is your GPS. Create a connection for it in OCPN and it'll work.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps