Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12   #1

opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Hello,

apologies if this is not the appropriate way to discuss possible bugs, but I couldn't find an official way to report bug. I found how to check the officially reported bugs to see if there was already a duplicate of this, and I couldn't not find any

Is any of you experiencing the following:
1) create a route
2) add at least one waypoint that is distant enough to prompt the question whether to use the great circle for it.
3) either say "yes" or "no" and click ok.
4) after a second or two, opencpn crashes.

Importing routes saved with OpenCPN 4.8 works.

I have tried this with two distinct PC, both running Windows 10 up to date to May 2019 (surface pro 4, e Surface Studio 1).

Again, if this is not approprioate, please kindly point me to the right channel for OpenCPN bug reporting.

Thank you,
/Flavio
Flaviotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:34   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Flavio..
Of course this is the right place. Welcome to this community!
I tried to reproduce your well described failure but didn't succeed. It works well on my Win10. I created a route and then added a WP far away. I also created a direct long route using both with great circle and without. See my shot. All works fine wo crash.
One Q: Do you use OpenGL or not? If not pls make try when it's in use.
Options->Display->Advanced: Graphics: [x] Use Accelerated Graphics. OpenGl
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	191541  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:20   #3

Hej Håkan,

thanks for your reply. I am actually using accelerated Graphic. So, I followed your suggestion on the reverse: I turned it off to see if that changed anything, but unfortunately it crashes still, for both PC's. I also disabled every plugins.

I'll keep troubleshooting my environment and post an update as soon as I find anything.

Thanks,
/Flavio
Old 07-05-2019, 01:43   #4

Hi again,

...so, after uninstalling, cleaning the folder and re-installing it, I noticed that it only crashes if the option "enable touch screen interface", under settings/user-interface, is enabled, which will be how I will interact with it when I am on route.
This is true for both PC I am testing with.

It could be interesting to see if this is reproducible outside my environments, or whether I should keep looking for external factors in my PC's.

Cheers,
/Flavio
Old 07-05-2019, 05:22   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviotti View Post
Hi again,

...so, after uninstalling, cleaning the folder and re-installing it, I noticed that it only crashes if the option "enable touch screen interface", under settings/user-interface, is enabled, which will be how I will interact with it when I am on route.
This is true for both PC I am testing with.

It could be interesting to see if this is reproducible outside my environments, or whether I should keep looking for external factors in my PC's.

Cheers,
/Flavio
It is already fixed for the next release.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:45   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
It is already fixed for the next release.
Is anything else affected by having touch screen interface enabled ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Is anything else affected by having touch screen interface enabled ?
The behavior of the application is affected by having the touch screen interface enabled. If you ask "Are there any other bugs in the touch screen interface?", I don't know.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:50   #8

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
The behavior of the application is affected by having the touch screen interface enabled. If you ask "Are there any other bugs in the touch screen interface?", I don't know.
Is anything other than creating a route leg long enough to trigger asking about great-circle involved in the bug ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:54   #9

Quote:
Is anything other than creating a route leg long enough to trigger asking about great-circle involved in the bug ?
not in my case. This issue is not appearing in any other way other than that, and fortunately it has already been fixed.
Cheers,
Old 07-05-2019, 07:03   #10

Quote:
Microsoft Windows. If that is what you ask.
Old 13-05-2019, 00:30   #11

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviotti View Post
Hello,

apologies if this is not the appropriate way to discuss possible bugs, but I couldn't find an official way to report bug. I found how to check the officially reported bugs to see if there was already a duplicate of this, and I couldn't not find any

Is any of you experiencing the following:
1) create a route
2) add at least one waypoint that is distant enough to prompt the question whether to use the great circle for it.
3) either say "yes" or "no" and click ok.
4) after a second or two, opencpn crashes.

Importing routes saved with OpenCPN 4.8 works.

I have tried this with two distinct PC, both running Windows 10 up to date to May 2019 (surface pro 4, e Surface Studio 1).

Again, if this is not approprioate, please kindly point me to the right channel for OpenCPN bug reporting.

Thank you,
/Flavio
Flavio,

I too am suffering crashes with 5.0.0 on my newest laptop which is a Dell XPS13 i7, 16GB Ram and an Intel HD650 graphics card. I have found that importing (non GC) routes from earlier versions caused a crash plus many weird lines across the chart display. Deleting and recreating the routes solved the display problem, but if I zoom out, at a scale of 1:19.1MM the chart display goes grey, and any further zoom out will guaranty a crash about 5 seconds later. Disabling touch screen has not removed the problem.

I have an older XPS13 with an i5, 8GB RAm and an Intel HD520 graphics card. It does not have a touch screen. This laptop has none of the problems that the newer one does, and it is also running 5.0.0. Both computers are running Windows 10 Home.

I have run out of ideas. I have tried reducing the new machines display from 3840 x 2160 to the old machines 1920 x 1080, but it makes no difference. Same with uninstalling with Revo and reinstalling. I have removed all plugins that did not come with the prog too, but it still crashes.

It would seem that the problem lies in compatibility with newer hardware, as I would guess your computers are Flavio?
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 05:49   #12

Get the latest drivers for your GPU from Intel. Those are much newer than the ones you get from Windows Update and, unlike those, do usually work.
Old 14-05-2019, 13:07   #13

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'

Quote:
Get the latest drivers for your GPU from Intel. Those are much newer than the ones you get from Windows Update and, unlike those, do usually work.
Nohal,

I already tried that but when installing the driver from Intel it warns that it is not compatible and should not be installed as Dell modify the drivers to suit their hardware. There is no new driver update from Dell.

In any case, the log shows VBO errors leading up to the crash, so I am guessing that the UHD620 graphics card is not compatible with the OpenGL software used by OpenCPN. (Error is VBO C: 1280). Maybe someone can explain what this means?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:39   #14

Boat: Najad 34

For info is there a another user having
UHD Graphics 630
Experience the same as Biggles.
After a lot: "All chart in cache locked, size: 5" in the log it ends up with "VBO Error B 1280" e.g. OpenGl buffer overrun and O crash.
The Intel UHD Graphics may need some attention?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Nohal,

I already tried that but when installing the driver from Intel it warns that it is not compatible and should not be installed as Dell modify the drivers to suit their hardware. There is no new driver update from Dell.

In any case, the log shows VBO errors leading up to the crash, so I am guessing that the UHD620 graphics card is not compatible with the OpenGL software used by OpenCPN. (Error is VBO C: 1280). Maybe someone can explain what this means?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers
That is why you need to read also the other link I posted and follow the manual installation instructions where the installer executable is not involved. That message about Dell modifying the drivers is crap to be ignored, they of course do not modify anything on a driver for GPU integrated inside the processor chip they buy from Intel.
The errors you see mean that the driver version you have installed is leaking resources, which we have seen many times before.

Tags
enc, opencpn, route