Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 27-07-2009, 03:29   #496

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Missing charts and/or missing data

Coron @ Busuanga Is./Philippines on this example, but I have found many more.

The original 2008 Navionics SE-Asia (CF31XG) and the CM93/2009 chart sets show a lot more details on what they show, but surprisingly some bays where just dropped off. The new CM93_09 is approx 400MB larger than the old, that should actually be more content.

As the Navionics 2008 map shows the same as the CM93/09 I do not believe the CM93/09 is corrupted data. For whatever reason they intentionaly let it blank, maybe they consider the available data as to old, but then I anchored in a Marsa in Sudan that was surveyed maybe 200 years ago ;-)

Though openCPN shows 2000 it is the 04 chart set.
There is a red light at Coron in the newer charts.

I have noticed this first time after I copied the new chart set over the old one and from time to time some left over older charts popped up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CM93_2009.png
Views:	160
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	9106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics_2008.png
Views:	160
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	9107  

Name:	CM93_2004.png
Views:	159
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	9108  
Old 27-07-2009, 03:36   #497

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
It's certainly good news having an actual GIS pro aboard
To quote an old idiom, "There are amateurs, amateur amateurs and the cowboy who built my boat" - take your pick ... I upgraded one of the sites last week and the user database patch failed, thereby locking me out of the server... oops . Fortunately the client was asleep at the time.

WebGIS is actually only part of the day job and I do have a tame real expert lurking in the background in California - he's useful for when things don't work. But I'm getting good with mapfile coding.

KML
Okay, I have uploaded some KML schema and example files.

KML 2.2.0 schema - this is a tiny rar file,
world base map - TM_WORLD_BORDERS-0.3.kml - 10.5 megs
world base map - TM_WORLD_BORDERS-0.3.kmz - 3.1 megs

The KML world base files will open in Google earth - the KMZ is the zipped form of kml and doesn't need to be unzipped - google earth will do that on the fly. If you look at 10°35'3.37"N - 103°19'5.84"E, you wil lsee Koh Rung Sanleum is missing from the TM data - I have a locally adapted ArcGIS file which has this island corrected.

Wikipedia
- this history of the KML file, how Google acquired it and made it open with Open Geospatial Consortium.
The short summary is:
Quote:
The KML file specifies a set of features (placemarks, images, polygons, 3D models, textual descriptions, etc.) for display in Google Earth, Maps and Mobile, or any other 3D earth browser (geobrowser) implementing the KML encoding. Each place always has a longitude and a latitude. Other data can make the view more specific, such as tilt, heading, altitude, which together define a "camera view". KML shares some of the same structural grammar as GML[1]. Some KML information cannot be viewed in Google Maps or Mobile[2].
KML files are very often distributed in KMZ files, which are zipped files with a .kmz extension. The contents of a KMZ file are a single root KML document (notionally "doc.kml") and optionally any overlays, images, icons, and models referenced in the KML including network-linked KML files. The root KML document is typically a file named "doc.kml" at the root level but the first .kml file in the KMZ file is the one selected in Google Earth regardless of its name. By convention the root KML document is at root level and referenced files are in subdirectories (e.g. images for overlay images), but this is not required.
The KML is a XML format.

Other links
Okay, that's the starting point.

Rhoel.
Old 27-07-2009, 03:50   #498

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
As the Navionics 2008 map shows the same as the CM93/09 I do not believe the CM93/09 is corrupted data. For whatever reason they intentionaly let it blank, maybe they consider the available data as to old, but then I anchored in a Marsa in Sudan that was surveyed maybe 200 years ago ;-) [...] I have noticed this first time after I copied the new chart set over the old one and from time to time some left over older charts popped up.
Is this related to the CM93 06 vs 09 difference in directory formatting as noted by dave here? This is earmarked for correction..
Old 27-07-2009, 05:46   #499

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
RoyalTek RN6 Touch screen PND's

Found this whilst looking for a driver for my GPS-mouse USB.

The RN6 is a touch sensitive 5" screen portable Nav Device. Runs Win CE 5, 8G micro SD and blue tooth.

They also make GPS boards for anyone wanting to build in a system.

Interesting.

Rhoel
Old 27-07-2009, 06:56   #500

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
GDD

If C-Map stopped supporting cm93-2 years ago I can not understand who is updating it?
Sinbad7,
A Norwegian sailor told me this spring that the C-map people still provide, off-the-record, updates to the Norwegian coast guard, as they (the coast guard) don't want to change their systems and have sufficient leverage.
I have no possibilities of checking the story, it might be BS, but it would explain updates.
Klaas
Old 27-07-2009, 07:49   #501

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Is this related to the CM93 06 vs 09 difference in directory formatting as noted by dave here? This is earmarked for correction..
Not really, above is a bug, this shows some data might be intentionally have been left out by the chart creator.

The remark was more for those who insist that the CM93/09 chart set is a fake. I can not say it is none, but as in Navionics the same data is missing and the Navionics CF memory module was bought from Defender Ind., I think the chart set is ok and not every detail missing in the 09 charts is due to above mentioned directory formatting difference. For all places I compared the Navionics and CM93/09 chart sets they did not show much difference.

Or other way asked: Why do Navionics and CM93/09 show the same uncharted area when there is more info on an old CM93/04 chart
Old 27-07-2009, 10:49   #502

Hi!! i'm new to gps navigation and french, so don't be too rude!! : i own a sportrak Magellan wich works great with gpsman but this soft isn't made for what i'm looking for: I want a bsb charts reader with wich i can prepare my "cruise" at home (usually ~15-20 miles) and export routes and waypoints to my sportrak : opencpn does that, but there's a bug with the export fonction : the 1.3.2 version all seems to work fine, but the window disapears when i click send so i compiled the 1.3.3 (rev 716) and when i send to gps, nothing happens. There's no error in the terminal... So if anybody can help... (i'm interrested by trying to translate this soft into french : how can i do?) Thanks!!
Old 27-07-2009, 10:52   #503

Another thing : gpsman can't read .gpx from opencpn : "unable to read : bad symbol code : diamond"

ciao!
Old 27-07-2009, 11:23   #504

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Here's an interesting tidbit on the CM93 2009 question: On the 2009 version, one of the information notes (click on the "!") in the Intracoastal Waterway near Charleston, SC (just west of the Isle of Palms) says the depths are from a private survey in 2007. Are these charts in fact being updated in an open-source (think Wikipedia) type of manner? If so, there is tremendous potential benefit to navigation world-wide. Independent, reliable studies have shown that Wikipedia (where anyone can edit data at any time) is now a bit more factually accurate than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Over on the SSCA discussion thread on OpenCPN, some contributors were asking how some sort of clearing house for updating chart info might be set up. I wonder if in fact this sort of activity is already under way in cyberspace.

As everyone has noted, these kinds of charts have to be used with the greatest of prudence, but I would feel a little better knowing I was using info from a recent sailor's cruise to supplement Captain Cook's survey from a couple of centuries ago.
Old 27-07-2009, 13:04   #505

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Dave,

I'm seeing a problem with 1.3.2 that may or may not be related to the issue below. Since you implemented the zoom limit for CM93 charts, I'm unable to get to the detailed chart of San Diego bay. The D level chart of the area loads, but I cannot get the E level detailed chart of the bay to load. It still works with 1.3.1, so it may be that the zoom limit does not allow openCPN to zoom in far enough to trigger loading the E level chart. If you have CM93, check it out and see if you see the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
For GDD and others...

At 49 30 N and 124 14 W, I agree that version 1.3.3 misses some charts at C-scale and better. This version of CM93 evidently uses "sub-scale" charts with a different naming convention in order to keep file sizes reasonable.

Have a look in the folder cm93/03900660/C

There are files like A4140696.C, etc. The A,B,C file name prefix is indicating a chart section, at the indicated scale. Usually, we don't see the A,B,C prefix.

First time I've seen them, and opencpn had no idea what to do with them........

I imagine the same thing will be true at many other places on the globe, as discovered by Sinbad7, et al.

Anyway, fix is straightforward, and will be present in the next Beta release, which I anticipate as about 1 week from today.

Thanks again for your focus here. This really helps wring out the bugs in a hurry.

Dave
Old 27-07-2009, 15:24   #506

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
gjorgensen..

My cm93-2006 version charts is also missing the E level of San Diego but it has the F level down to 1:4200. I earlier had the cm93-2003 v. which was around 1.4GB but
the 2006 v. is over 2GB. I have as yet not tried v 2009.

Tore
Old 27-07-2009, 16:02   #507
Marine Service Provider

gjorgensen...

CM93 May 2009 does not contain any E scale charts for San Diego. It goes from D to F as Sinbad7 noted.

So, I am confused, again....
Please recheck your 1.3.1 results, and post a screenshot if you can.

Thanks
Dave
Old 27-07-2009, 16:07   #508
Marine Service Provider

For slyholborn....

Welcome aboard. Your English is fine.

There is a known problem with "Send to GPS" for Magellan devices.

This is on the list to be fixed, but since I do not own a Magellan GPS, the debugging is very slow. Occasionally I can borrow one, work on it a bit, and then have to return it. Slow progress.....

Anyway, stay tuned.

Thanks
Dave
Old 27-07-2009, 16:22   #509

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Sorry, it's actually a "G" chart in my version. Screen shots of 1.3.0 and 1.3.2 enclosed. The 1.3.2 version is as far as it will zoom. I think the issue is that it takes one more zoom level in 1.3.0 to get the G chart to load, and 1.3.2 won't zoom in that extra level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opencpn-1.3.0.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	9116   Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn1.3.2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	9117  

Old 27-07-2009, 16:42   #510

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyholborn View Post
(i'm interrested by trying to translate this soft into french : how can i do?) Thanks!!
This has been discussed at sourceforge, Ron Kuris (rkuris) was/is working on i18n hooks within the code. I have provided 50% of a German translation. Not sure about the current status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Over on the SSCA discussion thread on OpenCPN, some contributors were asking how some sort of clearing house for updating chart info might be set up. I wonder if in fact this sort of activity is already under way in cyberspace.
AFAIK c-map charts are compiled from the official s-57 charts by jeppesen (boeing subsidiary). there's an official (online) update service as per the notices to mariners of the various country, which can also be booked through resellers to the small crafts market. google it. i believe there is also a "professional edition" for the naval industry.

The way I understood the ssca discussion (forum is currently down unfortunately) was a proposal to share gps tracks/log values online in some fashion, so as to collect navigational data.
Closed Thread