Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2015, 07:47   #571

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Jon's improvements:
Quote:
Split out the DR Points to a new tab in the preferences dialog and provided the ability to set the default range ring properties.
That was quick. Tested the entry conditions ranges and they work great. Changed default settings for DR and DR rings and it works. Tried in Hakan's neighborhood. I can put successive DR down entering heading guesses and walking the DR's towards the direction I want. Then delete the ones not needed.

In Future: (Does this make sense?) - See screenshot.
  1. I think I would then like to swing each point into place approximating the channel (with option to keep distance of leg the same), with all the legs further out swinging in an arc too.
  2. Then I would go to the next point out and swing it into place, and so on.
  3. If I grab and move the most distant point first I would like the option to swing the whole kitten cabbodle of the DR points around the boat and drop it in the direction I need. Also the option to just swing the last leg, keeping the leg length the same.
--Maybe others have some thoughts.

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
Directories
4.1.1108 PI Win: ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.583-ov4.1.1108-win32 (works)
4.1.1108 PI Win: watchdog_pi-1.9004-GIT2-ov4.1.1108-win32
Home: opencpn_4.1.1108_GIT2-d57cd38-Correct-bld-for-wx2.8 (same)

Have not tried the change in watchdog yet.
------
Jon:
Quote:
Checkout the latest update to the Watchdog plugin for the boundary alarm. You will find that you can now select the type of boundary that will trigger the alarm. So the Watchdog is now making use of the different types of boundary that can be drawn.
Thank you Sean for Watchdog Git 35633b6 correct enabled path.
Thanks Jon, great progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR-DR-Rings.png
Views:	120
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	114935  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:36   #572

Well, here is the DR Swing idea with a little more detail....
Maybe its a nutty idea, but its trying to take the straight DR and use it with more flexibility, to approximate a route but keeping the LEG distance the same.

I've tried to illustrate it using the Ocpn_Draw Tools.

Perhaps there are some other ideas.

One need/idea that I had while doing this was to have a icon for

Line/Arrow creation tool which is an "EBL Object" for 2 point lines not attached to the boat.

I used the Route tool, which really should be reserved for routes I think, not drawing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DR-Swing.png
Views:	148
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	114940  
Old 13-12-2015, 09:37   #573
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

So, that's an interactive DR - or "reality/fix adjusted DR".

Which one can do after a fix by defining a new DR-line and erasing the original one. You have the track by setting markers - always understanding that there is no GPS.

I would advocate to keep it easy - let's gain experience with the tools and not adding more extras at this moment.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:44   #574

I've been investigating anchoring Hakan's boat in a very unlikely place in 45' on a hard shore, where possibly he ran out of fuel (no, that never happens to Hakan). Lets say his engine had a problem. Anyway, he had to anchor there, and there are all these big tankers on the AIS to deal with. Unfortunately Hakan isn't going to get much sleep this night, but he's going to try to!

So first Hakan set up his Anchor Alarms.
1. Own Ship Anchor Inclusive Alarm
- Orange Inclusive Boundary Point with .25 nm
2. Own Ship Anchor Exclusive Shore Alarm
- Purple Exclusive Boundary along the hard shore.

Then he wanted an AIS Boundary Alarm to waken him if I big ship came inside a certain perimeter. So he tried:
3. AIS Exclusive Boundary Alarm
- Green Exclusive Boundary Alarm
** At this point there is no way to set an AIS Boundary Alarm.

There is no way Hakan is going to get some sleep until we have one!

For the settings see the screenshots please.

GET THE CORRECT BOUNDARY ID

Currently it is very hard to determine and be sure that the three Boundary Alarms are using the correct boundaries.

I think the Boundary Name should appear on the Watchdog first menu, Configuration and the Edit screens.

Also in the Config Menu under "Options" the type of boundary alarm should be noted "Anchor Inclusive" , "Anchor Exclusive", "AIS Exclusive" etc

Also when "Get Boundary GUID" there should be a dropdown when selecting GUID where we can select the GUID by reference to the Boundary Object Name. This would help assure us we have the right object. Or perhaps it should show the color and type of boundary.

1. Orange Anchor Inclusive Boundary Point - Anchor watch checked
6036ffff-7838-4444-8c59-01a26311ffff <--This works.

2. Blue Anchor Exclusive Boundary (along shore) - Anchor watch checked
4cb7ffff-2b44-4e1e-ae7d-e3291c4f0000
4cb7ffff-2b44-4e1e-ae7d-e3291c4f0000
(Checked Guid twice, and pasted into Edit window for this Alarm to be sure.)
This Exclusion Alarm is working improperly. It is alarming when Own Ship is anchored outside of the exclusion boundary. - Have tested a number of times.

3. Green AIS Exclusive Boundary 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff

The Boundary Alarm Edit selections generally all refer to
Own Ship
GPS.
GPS fix
Anchor Watch
They are radio buttons and mutually exclusive. It there a reason they should not all be together in the menu? I believe they all apply to the Boundary.

Then we need at least one more alarm for the 3rd alarm to work.
Other Ships
AIS Nmea
Radar Later?

Note: There is the possibility to Add an New Nmea Alarm. This will only read the Nmea stream for a certain sentence and alarm is the sentence is not updated in a certain time period.

Of course Hakan would like to have that alarm on when he sleeps too, so he won't forget it I am sure. However what we need is an AIS alarm that searches for a boat that is inside or outside of a boundary.

This may take a little work to get this AIS location checking in place, and some help by someone who has worked with AIS and processing Nmea data streams.

There is a second type of AIS alarm that could be added which would just alarm within a certain user set range. That would be the first one to try. Then add the Boundary Inclusive/ Exclusive checking.

- I am not sure about the use of Inclusive boundaries with AIS, but if you had a buddy or fleet list it might be good for alerting you when your buddy has left in the morning or something.

AIVDM/AIVDO protocol decoding
AIS - Automatic Identification System - Information Page Has a summary of the AIVDM sentence
Digital Yacht Files Nmea Graphic breakdown of VDM sentence down 1 pg
Ais Decoder

These all will show how to get the lat long so it can be checked. I have no idea if Sean has interest in making an Nmea AIS range alarm. Then I expect Jon would be able to take it from there to check the boundaries. I gussing Sean is probably quite busy with main Opencpn right now. Maybe somebody else would lend a programming shoulder to this little hurdle.

I think it might be a couple of weeks before Hakan will get some sleep, so in the morning I expect he'll weigh anchor at first light having called a friend for a early morning tow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anchor-AIS-Alarms-General.png
Views:	168
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	114945   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.Anchor-Alarm-Inclusion-Alarm-Works.png
Views:	142
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	114946  

Name:	2.Anchor-Alarm-Exclusion-Alarm-Error.png
Views:	179
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	114947   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.AIS-Boundary-Alarm-Exclusion-AIS-Alarm-None-Dream-of-Tankers.png
Views:	147
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	114948  

Old 13-12-2015, 13:56   #575

Boat: Najad 34

Rick, now I'm tired and will get my hearing protectors and go to sleep. -OK?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 15:56   #576

Pleasant dreams.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:13   #577

Boat: Richter 42

Rick,
The current solution to this is to create an EBL then right click and select new starting point. Then you can move both ends freely to do the drawing. Saves having to have another button, but.....

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
One need/idea that I had while doing this was to have a icon for

Line/Arrow creation tool which is an "EBL Object" for 2 point lines not attached to the boat.

I used the Route tool, which really should be reserved for routes I think, not drawing.
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 12:15   #578

Rick,
At the moment the boundary alarm returns the first boundary found. I could probably change it to return all the boundaries found then change the watchdog to allow display of these. I will see what I can do with that.

Jon
Old 16-12-2015, 07:49   #579

Jon, I've fetched and recompiled this morning. Anything in particular that you want us to test? I noticed something about Pens...
I'll mess with boundary alarms a little more too.

Also I am going to upload the current Opencpn version (with one of your pull requests) and the current plugin. Avail in same place OpenCPN Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
Old 16-12-2015, 08:12   #580

I am having a problem right now with Exclusive Boundaries. From Properties =
I have two Exclusive Boundaries
Purple = 4cb7ffff-2b44-4e1e-ae7d-e3291c4f0000
Green = 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff

The boat is located outside both.

The Boundary Green = 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff
is radio button "Exclusive"
There is also an "Anchor Watch" with GUID 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff

When Boundary Alarm is X on, there are Anchor Alarms and the

Main Watchdog menu shows "Boundary Anchor Outside Boundary 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff " in Red. The alerts work.

So it does not matter if a Boundary is checked Inclusive or Exclusive? It can still have an anchor watch? I am a bit confused...

I think it would help if the popup alert had some information about the alarm. I will put that in the Watchdog flyspray.
Old 16-12-2015, 08:15   #581

Now I set an Purple Boundary Exclusive to be X armed on, with GPS fix is < .25 nm
With the boat several miles away. Then I move the boat into next to the boundary and it alarms. This is what I expect because it is an exclusive boundary.
Old 16-12-2015, 09:05   #582

I just typed a long message with my tests and results and it timed out and left me with no message. This should not happen, it should at least give me an opportunity to copy the message. Its really pls.....sir.

I will try a shorter version, not a detailed.

1. Changes to boundary properties "Exclusive" "Inclusive" in Watchdog do not work.
2. I am very confused about the purpose of Exclusive, Inclusive, Neither and Any.
3. I had understood that
Exclusive = Keep out.
Inclusive = Keep in.
Neither = means neither keep out or keep in. (is this right?)
Any = Keep out OR Keep in (is this right?)
4. I thought the alarms and settings in Watchdog would correspond with this basic approach. ...such that if Boundary is Exclusive, the alarm subset would all be for "keeping out". etc.

5. Then there is the question of what kinds of alarms.
A. OwnShip GPS location
B. OwnShip GPS distance from
C. OtherShip AIS location
D. OtherShip AIS distance from
(Maybe for this it does not matter if the anchor is down or not, just that the ships have gps on.)

I had thought that these could be applied to Exclusive and Inclusive Boundarys.

Please explain how the current system works because I don't think my mind is wired to comprehend yet and there are many ways of accomplishing things.
It does not seem to matter what type of alarm is used it can be exclusive or inclusive and it will still alarm.

I think that the user should be able to set graphically an inclusive boundary or an exclusive boundary and have that determine the type of alarm "keep in" or "keep out" respectively. This is intuitive to me maybe there is another way of looking at it.

Please Forgive me if this seems abrupt, I have typed it twice. I have left of the tests, because I would have to do them again.

I have included the file I was working with in hopes it might help, but I am no longer referencing it because everything was lost.

Draw_Hakefjord-MassBayUSA.gpx take off the .doc

Posting now.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Draw_Hakefjord-MassBayUSA.gpx.doc (73.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 16-12-2015, 13:01   #583

Rick,
These changes were to allow the plugin to work on platforms that only have wxWidgets 2.8, i.e. arm processors. Also a some clean up of the code. There should be no difference on windows or linux machines.

Jon

Quote:
Jon, I've fetched and recompiled this morning. Anything in particular that you want us to test? I noticed something about Pens...
I'll mess with boundary alarms a little more too.

Also I am going to upload the current Opencpn version (with one of your pull requests) and the current plugin. Avail in same place OpenCPN Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
Old 16-12-2015, 15:14   #584

Rick,
The 'Distance' and 'Time' alarms are sensitive to the type of boundary, hence the radio buttons that can be used. The 'Anchor' alarm does not care what type of boundary it is, the GUID specifies that if you move outside of that boundary the alarm will go off. So if you want to set an exclusion boundary for an anchor alarm, i.e. stay within it, that is the users decision.

I have updated OD to provide Name and Description of boundaries in the JSON message. I have also provided a fix to the Watchdog plugin to provide more information when a Boundary alarm is triggered. The Message box will now display the Name, Description and GUID of the boundary found. I have also fixed an error in the saving/restoring of boundary alarms. All alarms were converted to 'Anchor' over a restart.

Jon

Quote:
I am having a problem right now with Exclusive Boundaries. From Properties =
I have two Exclusive Boundaries
Purple = 4cb7ffff-2b44-4e1e-ae7d-e3291c4f0000
Green = 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff

The boat is located outside both.

The Boundary Green = 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff
is radio button "Exclusive"
There is also an "Anchor Watch" with GUID 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff

When Boundary Alarm is X on, there are Anchor Alarms and the

Main Watchdog menu shows "Boundary Anchor Outside Boundary 6d57ffff-8c3f-4060-8dd9-fdeb51a3ffff " in Red. The alerts work.

So it does not matter if a Boundary is checked Inclusive or Exclusive? It can still have an anchor watch? I am a bit confused...

I think it would help if the popup alert had some information about the alarm. I will put that in the Watchdog flyspray.
Old 16-12-2015, 15:22   #585

Rick,
The boundary types in Watchdog are used to filter the messages coming back. At the moment the first boundary found when using Distance or Time will be returned. I am trying to work out how to do, sensibly, multiple boundaries.

Exclusive, keep out, Inclusive, keep in, Neither, not Exclusive or Inclusive just a boundary line, Any, does not care what type of boundary is returned.

There is no link between Watchdog and OD except through the JSON messages. OD knows what type of boundaries it is controlling, but has no interest in alarms. Watchdog knows nothing of boundaries or their properties just that a lat/lon exists inside or outside a boundary and what the type of boundary is.

The OD boundary type only determines where the fill is drawn, i.e. inside, outside or not at all. There is no further meaning applied. It is really up to the user to determine how they would like the boundary drawn and then if they want to use Watchdog, what type of boundary to alarm on.

Jon

Quote:

1. Changes to boundary properties "Exclusive" "Inclusive" in Watchdog do not work.
2. I am very confused about the purpose of Exclusive, Inclusive, Neither and Any.
3. I had understood that
Exclusive = Keep out.
Inclusive = Keep in.
Neither = means neither keep out or keep in. (is this right?)
Any = Keep out OR Keep in (is this right?)
4. I thought the alarms and settings in Watchdog would correspond with this basic approach. ...such that if Boundary is Exclusive, the alarm subset would all be for "keeping out". etc.