Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 00:30   #481
Marine Service Provider

Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiradical View Post
I'm trying to use a small Toughbook to run OpenCPN but the status bar font is unreadably small - the screen is only an 8.4" 800x600 and OpenCPN uses a VERY small font for the status bar with that screen size. Is there any way to increase the font size here? The only font choices in 'settings' don't seem to affect the status bar.

Thanks......
I just come back home after a month testing OpenCPN and the problem is the same. If I shuld use another program to show basic informations, why for is OpenCPN for me?
Old 26-05-2011, 00:58   #482

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
I'm trying to use a small Toughbook to run OpenCPN but the status bar font is unreadably small - the screen is only an 8.4" 800x600 and OpenCPN uses a VERY small font for the status bar with that screen size. Is there any way to increase the font size here? The only font choices in 'settings' don't seem to affect the status bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
I just come back home after a month testing OpenCPN and the problem is the same. If I shuld use another program to show basic informations, why for is OpenCPN for me?
Blowing up the status bar does not seem on good option on small screen systems...
That is why the Dashboard pluging has been developped. Available with a simple click on the toolbar, you have TOTAL control on what you display, where, and how (size of symbols etc...). Hide it with a click if you want the chart full screen. Comes with every recent version of OpenCpn. Enable it in the pluging section of the toolbox.
Give it a spin, you'll be satisfied, I guess...
Then hide the old status bar forever (on Toolbox again), enlarging the chart area.

Screenshots: two among an infinite number of possibilities
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DashBoard.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	27799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	27800  

sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:11   #483

About plugins installation with Ubuntu

Hi,

I have upload some plugins like "liblogbook_Ubuntu11-amd64_pi.so" or "libchartdldr_amd64_pi.so" but I don't find anywhere how to activate them with Ubuntu. I have tried a lot of things but without any result and I don't know what to do with these files.
Thanks for your help and is it possible to get a detailed "howto" in the documentation.

Jean-Pierre
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:30   #484

Hi,

I have tried with an other plugin "libvdr_Ubuntu11-amd64_pi.so" and I put it like the others in "/usr/local/share/opencpn/plugins and it is working, I can see the icon in the toolbox. But the firts ones had no icon and I though they were not working.

It would be fine if there was something in the documentation how to apply them with Ubuntu.
Old 27-05-2011, 09:56   #485

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiebrig View Post
Hi,

I have tried with an other plugin "libvdr_Ubuntu11-amd64_pi.so" and I put it like the others in "/usr/local/share/opencpn/plugins and it is working, I can see the icon in the toolbox. But the firts ones had no icon and I though they were not working.

It would be fine if there was something in the documentation how to apply them with Ubuntu.
I think that the problem is the version of the two first plugins.Check the log, it will tell which plugins are OK and which are rejected.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 13:34   #486

Using 2.4.423 on Netbook with Win 7 starter, BSB 4 plugin, CHS and NOAA charts.

When right clicking and using "Max Detail Here", only NOAA charts get displayed, even when using a CHS chart.

Scaling in works.

Any suggestions.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:21   #487

Tracks

Hi (again !),

Thaks Cagney for your answer. I cannot post my opencpn log, internet is not good here !

I have an other problem. May be the question is not new, but excuse me, I have not been on the forum for a long time.
It is with tracks. Last year, in march 2010, with a previous version of Opencpn (I don't remember which one) and with an other computer (Asus F3JP), I have done a lot of tracks and all were good (exemple track 1.png).
This year, with a new computer (Asus N71JV), Opencpn Version 2.4.412, I have also done a lot of tracks, but they are crazy, not smooth at all (track 2.png).
You can see the difference between a "normal track" and what I get now on "track 3.png".
All the picture are with a similar scale, about 3700/4000, and all the tracks are with a similar time interval (5 to 8 seconds). I have tried to change time interval but it is the same.
Is this a problem with my computer ?
What can I do ?

Thanks for your help.

track 1.png

track 2.png

track 3.png
Old 28-05-2011, 23:45   #488

Jean-Pierre,

Your strange tracks look rather like distance-based, sometimes with one coordinate forgotten...
I did some simulated manoevering today, at 1-7 kts, tracking both time based at 5 seconds, and distance-based at default distance. All looks OK in 2.4.523, except for a little strange rendering just in the boat's wake in distance mode.

If you can, please post some exported tracks in GPX, and try the current Beta...

Piotr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tracking_S.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	27877  
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 09:26   #489

Strange tracks

Hi,

Thanks Piotr for your answer.
I have tried 523 this morning, but it is quite the same. I put some attachements with my GPX's tracks, 412 and 523 version, and nmea outpout from my GPS Garmin 126.

Now I will not be able to get internet for about a week, but I can receive your answer as soon you post it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture--dev-ttyUSB0.png
Views:	239
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	27887  
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Test412.gpx (53.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: gpx Test523.gpx (32.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 29-05-2011, 13:30   #490

Jean-Pierre,

I have retraced your itinerary at 9 kts (yellow track) and at 3-4 kts (purple track) as closely as I could manage. I see nothing unusual in 2.4.523 behaviour here. OpenCPN crashed once or twice during this excercise, but this is another story. My tracks look as smooth as they can be at these settings, I think.

I must assume that something in your environment is not what you are expecting. I cannot quite read the fine print of your GPS $RMC record, but please make sure that your GPS or OCPN is not set e.g. to average position data every 60 seconds or so, while you keep tracking at 5 seconds interval....

I will look again at the data during the week, but it seems that all records you sent are OK.

Good luck and fair winds,

Piotr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	half_moon_tracks_S.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	27890  
Old 29-05-2011, 19:26   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
but it seems that all records you sent are OK.
Jean-Pierre...

Hmm... I meant they are OK from the point of view of OCPN behaviour, but looking at your track positions you can see all have very low precision - only 2 fractional digits for minutes, and this is indeed what your GPS is transmitting. Please check the GPS receiver settings - or get another one.

Piotr
Old 02-06-2011, 20:25   #492

Strange tracks

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for your help. The strange tracks were coming from the GPS.
I have check all as you told me and I have found that the interface was set to NMEA 0183, but version 1.5.
I have change it for NMEA 2.0 and all tracks are correct now.
Don't know when this change was made and by whom .
Old 07-06-2011, 08:51   #493

Plugins

Hi Cagney,

Sorry for the very late answer about plugins. Here is my opencpn.log with Ubuntu Lucid 64 bits

Cijoint.fr - Service gratuit de dépôt de fichiers

It seems that there are some problems with API version 1.4, but I don't know what to do with that !

Thanks in advance for help.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38   #494

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiebrig View Post
Hi Cagney,

Sorry for the very late answer about plugins. Here is my opencpn.log with Ubuntu Lucid 64 bits

Cijoint.fr - Service gratuit de dépôt de fichiers

It seems that there are some problems with API version 1.4, but I don't know what to do with that !

Thanks in advance for help.
Unfortunately some of the plugins on the plugin download page doesn't work with the latest betas. I just tested the Chart Downloader and it uses the old 1.4 interface instead of the required 1.5. Hopefully these will soon be updated. The alternative for now seems to be to compile yourself.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:58   #495

Where can I place my set of User Icons (.xpm files) for use by others as the file upload directory at the opencpn tracker site will not accept .xpm or zip files?
glywn380 is offline   Reply With Quote