Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13   #496

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by glywn380 View Post
... the file upload directory at the opencpn tracker site will not accept .xpm or zip files?
I guess the tracker won't be the right place to host any sources.
IMHO the wiki at opencpn.org would be a more suitable place for such things.

I would be glad to also host your (and those of others, too) user icons on the German OpenCPN website.
Therefor it would be very kind from you if you could send me an email with the icons attached - thanks!

Gunther
Old 12-06-2011, 05:45   #497

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Where can I place my set of User Icons (.xpm files) for use by others as the file upload directory at the opencpn tracker site will not accept .xpm or zip files?
The easy solution to this is to rename the files whatever.xpm.png for example.
Later, manimaul can review what needs to be allowed.......
There should probably be a dedicated download tab for this kind of things.
Who will be the first to contribute a "killer" layer ??

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:26   #498

Boat: 29'

Where did the Paypal button go on the OpenCPN site?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:31   #499

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Where can I place my set of User Icons (.xpm files) for use by others as the file upload directory at the opencpn tracker site will not accept .xpm or zip files?
there's also here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s-57906-2.html
It's messy,but works.
rename them as ".doc". If you can,post some little pictures as png,jpegs so people can choose before downloading.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 04:49   #500

Hi All, can anyone compile deb package for arm system, to work on toshiba ac100 (dynabook) running linux ubuntu 11.04

thanks in advance
oldsailor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 05:28   #501

Boat: 37 meters
Send a message via MSN to smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
This thread is reserved for general questions regarding the functions and features of opencpn, in its current RELEASED state.

It is intended that this is where a new user will land first, and hopefully answer most or all of her questions about initial configuration and operation of opencpn. This include things like "Where do I get charts?... What is an ENC?...How do I <blank>?"

Over time the thread will generate a list of FAQ's, by definition. These will be extracted at some point, and split off into a separate document or thread.

I would very much like it if some existing experienced forum members would take a proactive role in working with this thread. You know who you are.

Otherwise, it will be of little use to new users or to anybody, really.

I will be monitoring this thread only infrequently, and contributing rarely.

Thanks
Dave
RTK function,how to open?
smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 23:55   #502

Getting own ship data from AIS data string AVDO and not having to have a designated GPS input. Is this in the works in upcoming an version?
I like having just one Serial-USB connection to get my data (SOG, POS, HDG, COG, etc) and AIS data without multiplexers, muxing, and so on. I had it in Seaclear via WINE in Snow Leopard. But I've done a clean install of Lion and do not want to setup WINE again since Seaclear was the only Windows program I wanted to run. I am really enthused about the OS X version of OpenCPN with the ability to load NOAA Vector Charts plus the fact that it is open and progressively improved.
ShiverMeTimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05   #503

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411

Assuming an AIS receiver is able to accept gps data and combine AIS and gps together onto a signal output, could OpenCPN deal with it? This would mean that you would use the same COM port when configuring gps and AIS inputs within OpenCPN. This issue came up on another thread as a way to conserve COM ports on a TabletPC.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:44   #504

I've used at least 3 other charting programs that use the AIS data for own ship data. I use one Serial to USB cable connected only to the AIS and get SOG, COG, HDG, POS, ROT and so on for my own vessel. No other connections were necessary. They also used the vessel dimensions in the AIS for own vessel shape. This was done with an AIS with external GPS and AIS with internal GPS, several different brands, all had gyro input. AIS output data sentence contains AIVDM (other ships data) and AIVDO (own ship data), among others.

Wind, depth would have to be separate.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:24   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
I've used at least 3 other charting programs that use the AIS data for own ship data. I use one Serial to USB cable connected only to the AIS and get SOG, COG, HDG, POS, ROT and so on for my own vessel. No other connections were necessary. They also used the vessel dimensions in the AIS for own vessel shape. This was done with an AIS with external GPS and AIS with internal GPS, several different brands, all had gyro input. AIS output data sentence contains AIVDM (other ships data) and AIVDO (own ship data), among others.

Wind, depth would have to be separate.
I'm hoping to hear specifically about OpenCPN.
Pete
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55   #506

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Assuming an AIS receiver is able to accept gps data and combine AIS and gps together onto a signal output, could OpenCPN deal with it? This would mean that you would use the same COM port when configuring gps and AIS inputs within OpenCPN.
Pete
I'm not sure why there's confusion on this capability -

Toolbox - GPS - NMEA Data Source - select "AIS Port (shared)"
Set baud rate - normally 38400
Click OK

Works on my system
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post

Click OK

Works on my system
I've tried that. I've changed the baud rate on the AIS and my Mac to 38400 and 4800. I've got PolarView (demo) and it works fine. It worked before with Seaclear.
The data is not GPS (GGA, GLL, RMC, etc.) & AIS combined. The AIS sends it's own data with own ship's position (AIVDO).

hoolie, It works on your system with no GPS connected to anything other than the AIS?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:05   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post

Click OK

Works on my system
Sorry, I should have investigated on my own. Is anyone getting their AIS from a Standard Horizon GX2150, and if so, can it generate the required output to take advantage of this feature?
Pete
Old 12-09-2011, 05:28   #509

I've just started to use OpenCPN on a tablet PC (Fujitsu ST5112). I can rotate display into landscape or portrait mode. In portrait orientation it will fit better onto the bulkhead of my Nav station. Is the scale preserved in both orientations?

To test this I drew a route with two legs, one going 090 and the other going 180 degrees. Both legs were 1200 miles long. On the screen the leg at 090 was significantly longer (as measured with a ruler) than the other. The legs did not change in measured length in either portrait or landscape mode. I'm guessing this has something to do with the chart projection and nothing I should worry about?

Can anyone think of a reason why OpenCPN should be run in landscape (the normal way) vs portrait mode? Thanks
Pete
Old 12-09-2011, 06:45   #510

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

prroots - Have you tried other graphic packages for portrait/landscape compatibility? It could be your ST5112 display has different pixels per inch on the X and Y axes.
Ignore what I said, I just re-read your post!
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote