Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 07:49   #1276

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Help / FAQ

Look in the nmea sentences,
See Dashboard here please
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nmea_sentences
(May be out of date.)

Also the manual, which could be more specific about TW nmea sentence but it says it is supported.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ns:dashboard&s[]=dashboard

Also see Tactics_pi which can calculate TW.

Also MWV and set the field.
http://catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html#_mwv_...peed_and_angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediran View Post
.....and another question comes up:
The opencpn dial for true wind Direktion & speed looks for which nmea-data?
Can anyone tell this?
Thanks and best regards
Marcus
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:28   #1277

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Hi
On a Win10, not mine, got this when looking in tools plugins. O freezed and couldn't exit.

15:34:10: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins
15:34:10: Varning: Caught MainLoopException, continuing...

Never seen. Anyone??
Thanks/ Håkan

Yes, it happens when a plugin dll causes a runtime exception. So you have a plugin that isn't compatible in some way.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:09   #1278

Boat: Najad 34

Dan, thanks. Could we continue here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2482956
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 17:29   #1279

OpenCPN not syncing with USB GPS

Hey all, Iv been trying to figure this one out for a long time and am now turning to you as research has led me nowhere.

I am using a USGlobalsat BU-353S4 USB GPS and tried with various versions of openCPN including the newest version 4.8.0. My computer is a Mac running OS X.

The main issue is I am able to confirm my GPS is working using the GPS utility program to monitor it, but am unable to get it working with openCPN. I have taken the Data port info from the GPS utility ( Port:/dev/cu.usbserial, and parameters: 4800) and tried adding that connection multiple times though nothing happens at all. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing openCPN with no result.

If anyone has an idea how I may resolve this issue I would appreciate it immensely as Im trying to get to sea soon!

Thanks,

Dane
VanisleBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 17:41   #1280

Boat: Phantom 19

Dane...
Uninstalling/reinstalling OpenCPN, useless. Are you sure the GPS is set to NMEA, not SIRF binary, mode? Are you sure the GPS utility, or any other program using the GPS, is NOT running when you try to configure and use the GPS in OpenCPN?
If the answer to both is yes, please try to have a look at ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log, near the end of the file there is data from your last session and in it likely something useful to debug your problem.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 17:54   #1281

Thanks for the response nohal,

Not sure how to confirm the GPS is in NMEA other then checking the "show NMEA debug window". As for making sure no other programs were using the GPS I just confirmed that they are not.
Is "/Library/Logs/opencpn.log" somewhere in the OpenCPN program?

Thanks again!!!
Old 20-09-2017, 18:00   #1282

Dane...
I suppose the very GPS utility from US Globalsat you use probably is the tool to show/change the mode of the GPS - I don't have this unit available, so really can't give you the exact instructions.
~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log is a file in your home directory, the easiest way to open it probably is to start the Terminal application, type
Code:
open ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log
and hit Enter

Pavel
Old 20-09-2017, 18:29   #1283

Pavel,

I wasnt able to find Library/Logs/opencpn.log, please pardon my lack of technical ability, must be somewhat frustrating.

I was able to get info on my GPS and see that the Default is NMEA 0183 and I havent changed anything as I have no idea how.

Thanks for your help thus far
Old 20-09-2017, 18:34   #1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanisleBC View Post
Pavel,

I wasnt able to find Library/Logs/opencpn.log, please pardon my lack of technical ability, must be somewhat frustrating.

I was able to get info on my GPS and see that the Default is NMEA 0183 and I havent changed anything as I have no idea how.

Thanks for your help thus far
It is not Library/Logs/opencpn.log, it is also not /Library/Logs/opencpn.log, it si ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log - That file sure does exist if you started OpenCPN on a Mac at least once and it did not crash immediately. If you start Terminal, copy paste the text of the command I posted and hit Enter, what happens?
Old 20-09-2017, 18:53   #1285

I get this= "Last login: Wed Sep 20 18:49:18 on ttys000
danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$ ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log
-bash: /Users/danekeller/Library/Logs/opencpn.log: Permission denied
danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$"

The terminal field isnt blank when i input ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log because "Last login: Wed Sep 20 18:51:14 on ttys000
danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$" cant be cleared.
Old 21-09-2017, 01:52   #1286

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
I get this= "Last login: Wed Sep 20 18:49:18 on ttys000
danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$ ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log
-bash: /Users/danekeller/Library/Logs/opencpn.log: Permission denied
danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$"

The terminal field isnt blank when i input ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log because "Last login: Wed Sep 20 18:51:14 on ttys000
danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$" cant be cleared.
Sorry to have to say it: OpenCPN is a software for sailors which have at least a very little bit knowledge of their computer. Not only to know where the ON/OFF switch is but a very few things more.
All others should use a ready-to-go plotter where everything works as intended by the manufacturer. These plotters have also some other benefits as protection against water and readable at sunshine.

You have been told to insert at the prompt of the Terminal app some text.
Your Terminal prompt is this: danes-MacBook-Pro:~ danekeller$
The text to have inserted is: open ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log
But you have inserted: ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log
See the fault? The word "open" is missing and this results in the error message you have seen. Terminal is an application which executes given commands. ~/Library/Logs/opencpn.log is no command however but a file which should opened from a command. In this case by the command "open".

If such simple things are unknown it is really easier to use a ready-to-go plotter instead a computer with software which also needs other things like GPS etc. to work as a plotter. Ask your shipchandler for that.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 16:26   #1287

Thank you for the correction regarding the missing "open" in front of the Code Gerhard, I appreciate it. I also appreciate that you have an opinion regarding weather or not I am competent enough to use the the program, but I feel this is going a little bit deeper then "on/off" Thats my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for teaching me that; now I know. Although I cant make sense of it I do now have the OpenCPN log up. Is there something in the log to look for that may indicate the cause of the issue?
Old 21-09-2017, 16:39   #1288

Dane...
In the log, you should, hopefully, find the reason why you can't connect to your GPS.
The part that is interesting for us will look something like this:
Code:
20:32:35 -03: Opening NMEA Datastream TCP:localhost:4381
20:32:35 -03: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/tty.usbmodem1411
20:32:35 -03: Opening NMEA Datastream UDP:192.168.1.36:10110
20:32:35 -03: NMEA input device open failed: /dev/tty.usbmodem1411
20:32:35 -03: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location XXX
In your case it will of course be different, depending on the connections you have configured, but in my example you can see that the USB GPS failed to open, so I should probably start looking for it (it is back in Europe, so in my case the reason for OpenCPN not being able to open the device is kind of clear)

Pavel
Old 21-09-2017, 17:24   #1289

Nohal, the GPS just started running!!!

For the first time ever I saw Serial:/dev/cu.usbserial4 as a data port option so I tried that and it fired right up.

Log:
7:14:43 PDT: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/cu.usbserial4
17:14:43 PDT: Metrics: m_display_size_mm: 285 wxDisplaySize: 1280:800
17:14:43 PDT: Changing NMEA Datasource for GPGLL to Serial:/dev/cu.usbserial4 (Priority: 1)

Im not sure what I did to present the new port option but its running. This is a HUGE HUGE win as Iv never had it going in the year + that iv had it. Ill be using it as a secondary nav system for my next transPac

Thanks so much for your patience and assistance. You too Carcode
Old 21-09-2017, 17:59   #1290

Quote:
Nohal, the GPS just started running!!!

For the first time ever I saw Serial:/dev/cu.usbserial4 as a data port option so I tried that and it fired right up.

Log:
7:14:43 PDT: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/cu.usbserial4
17:14:43 PDT: Metrics: m_display_size_mm: 285 wxDisplaySize: 1280:800
17:14:43 PDT: Changing NMEA Datasource for GPGLL to Serial:/dev/cu.usbserial4 (Priority: 1)

Im not sure what I did to present the new port option but its running. This is a HUGE HUGE win as Iv never had it going in the year + that iv had it. Ill be using it as a secondary nav system for my next transPac

Thanks so much for your patience and assistance. You too Carcode
I've heard computers are scared of me, just didn't know it works even over this distance Fair winds.