Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 15:25   #16

Boat: Lagoon 500
Re: Grib files via Iridium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
Hi,
This is Topher from Global Marine Networks.

Apple’s 10.8 Mac OS X release restricted third party software being able to automatically create a sat phone location in the network settings. The process can still be accomplished manually. We walk XGate customers through this process almost daily.

XGate is an email client built for satellite users (specifically created by a mariner and for mariners). XGate compresses all traffic from 50% to 90% AND gives you the ability to receive weather forecasts, push posting to social media, and much more.

Warning: direct Mac to sat phone setup; there is no firewall to filter traffic (people can get in AND applications/updates can draw usage $$$). We highly recommend people use an Optimizer for protection as well as minimizing Airtime Costs. The Optimizer is a small router that works with most satellite device on the market, creates a firewall, and also gives you the ability to use smart phones and mobile devices.

Regardless, we are happy to help any customer establish their setup without an Optimizer. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions at support@gmn-usa.com

XGate Satellite Phone Email| Iridium 9555, Inmarsat, Globalstar via XGate | GMN

Satellite Phone Data RedPort Optimizer, Router and Firewall | GMN
Hi Topher,

This is the first bit of encouraging news that I have received on this issue - someone really does know about the issue and how to resolve it. I spent nearly $500 in airtime with my Satphone service provider and Iridium technical support and it resolved nothing. Interesting to see that you think it was back as far as MacOS 10.8 that Apple introduced the restrictions. It definitely worked with 10.12.3 and it stopped with 10.12.4 onwards.

I did communicate with Louis Soltero back last November and he recommended that I use the Redpoint Optimizer with PredictWind for iPhone to get my GRIB files. I should point out that I am not using an xGate account - just my Iridium data account. I did what Louis recommended and the Redpoint Optimizer works fine with PredictWind for iOS and Iridium Mail & Web for iOS direct with my Iridium data account. However, I cannot download my GRIB files or use other Mac weather applications on my Mac (OpenPPN and LuckGrib for instance) to download GRIB data.

Just want to get back to where I used to be - a dialup connection giving me direct access to the internet without firewalls, compression etc. and using my Iridium data account only.

Should I contact you for the work-around or can you post it here? As I said, I have a Redpoint Optimizer but no xGate account.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 18:29   #17
Moo

You can seamlessly grab GRIBs with a Sailmail subscription and Airmail.

Using the GRIB selector build into Airmail you graphically select the area and parameters you want to download. You get and estimate of the file size so that it is easy to keep the download time withing whatever limits that you set.

The system uses saildocs but Airmail offers extra compression over the transmission path.

It has a built in Iridium mode with an exclusive option which blocks all all other software from grabbing the bandwidth.

Airmail is a good mail client, does what it says on the tin and has lots of bells and whistles if you need them.

If you don't want to pay a Sailmail subscription use WinLink2k for free.

The Viewfax GRIB viewer that comes bundled and integrated with Airmail is a great little GRIB viewer. Highly recommended.

Oh and it all works great on SSB too.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Hi Topher,

This is the first bit of encouraging news that I have received on this issue - someone really does know about the issue and how to resolve it. I spent nearly $500 in airtime with my Satphone service provider and Iridium technical support and it resolved nothing. Interesting to see that you think it was back as far as MacOS 10.8 that Apple introduced the restrictions. It definitely worked with 10.12.3 and it stopped with 10.12.4 onwards.

I did communicate with Louis Soltero back last November and he recommended that I use the Redpoint Optimizer with PredictWind for iPhone to get my GRIB files. I should point out that I am not using an xGate account - just my Iridium data account. I did what Louis recommended and the Redpoint Optimizer works fine with PredictWind for iOS and Iridium Mail & Web for iOS direct with my Iridium data account. However, I cannot download my GRIB files or use other Mac weather applications on my Mac (OpenPPN and LuckGrib for instance) to download GRIB data.

Just want to get back to where I used to be - a dialup connection giving me direct access to the internet without firewalls, compression etc. and using my Iridium data account only.

Should I contact you for the work-around or can you post it here? As I said, I have a Redpoint Optimizer but no xGate account.
No response.

It is sad that the $$$s dictate everything in the satellite communications area. The satellite phone provider takes the first big bite with the cost of buying the hardware followed by expensive airtime package and very low bandwidth. Then there is the intermediary email/web/data "access" provider which wasn't required if you had an Iridium phone, but since Iridium has backed away from supporting Iridium Mail & Web WIFI, you are left with another expensive add-on - xGate or similar. Then there is a third layer of charges if you use a weather routing provider such as PredictWind.

It is about time that someone upset this expensive apple cart(el) and stopped the consumer gouging!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:06   #19
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
It is about time that someone upset this expensive apple cart(el) and stopped the consumer gouging!
See my response above. I will add that the consumer gouging is just companies like CGate taking advantage of consumers naivety - don't blame the satellite companies.

The main problem with failed Iridium connections is a poor connection to the satellites. The second is unwanted traffic trying to access the internet as soon as the connection is made. This is easily handled with a firewall and there are dozens of free variants out there (I use Tinywall in conjunction with Windows built in firewall as it is easy to operate and I can talk my clients through it).

If you want a hardware more foolproof method then the Optimiser is simple and out of the box but it is $$$

Almost all of the data products that the routing companies (as you call them) provide are available for free. The easiest to use source is Saildocs. Mr Soltero, Topher and others will poo poo this service but in reality they are only trying to talk up their own product (that is not say their service is crap, but it isn't much better and it is expensive; they are just salesmen).

The main expense comes in if you want to get advanced with your weather routing as the data from some of the models is not free, unless it is bundeled with already expensive software such as Timezero which includes data from the Euro model.

If people don't want to learn this stuff they buy products and pay somebody to do it for them. This is exactly the same principle as somebody who is not a carpenter and who doesn't want to learn employing a carpenter to build a set of stairs for them and then employing a painter to paint it for them.

So yes you can get almost everything for a very low cost, some basic material, but if you start paying for people's time to develop software, do routing for you etc, then it cost money for their time and their skill. Bottom line is that the cheapest way to get weather data is to learn how to do it yourself; much like everything else in life
Old 12-03-2018, 12:23   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Almost all of the data products that the routing companies (as you call them) provide are available for free. The easiest to use source is Saildocs. Mr Soltero, Topher and others will poo poo this service but in reality they are only trying to talk up their own product (that is not say their service is crap, but it isn't much better and it is expensive; they are just salesmen).
I understand that you are talking about GRIB and other data products (I get mine from Saildocs and other free services), but the reason I use XGate is for the connection protocol optimization.

When I first tried Iridium email, I used a regular email client program connecting to my ISP via the Iridium "modem" port. This was a terrible approach, as there was a ridiculous amount of overhead, handshakes weren't spoofed, timeouts and slowdowns were killing me. Dropped file transfers were abandoned, and had to be restarted from scratch every time.

So I tried XGate and it worked. I still use it. In the meantime, I believe that Iridium has provided an improved connection scheme (or did they always have it and I didn't know how to use it?) Sailmail also uses a connection protocol that is similar to XGate, and there are others.

I haven't bothered to review my options lately. Once we have the satphone and airtime paid for, are there good free methods for Iridium email? I have the Iridium 9575 phone.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:25   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And given how much lower the uptake was on satellite phones & internet compared to when the launched, we really should be grateful they exist at all.

https://youtu.be/q8LaT5Iiwo4
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:52   #22
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I haven't bothered to review my options lately. Once we have the satphone and airtime paid for, are there good free methods for Iridium email? I have the Iridium 9575 phone.
Iridium has their direct internet service but when I go to page on the Iridium site https://www.iridium.com/services/iri...rect-internet/ I can't see the download link (Chrome browser perhaps something is not showing up) but the links are here Iridium Direct Internet

I generally use and recommend Airmail because it is such a competent package and XGate when clients prefer. Neither are of course free but it is a once per year cost so is at least easy to budget for and as you mention saves you airtime costs.

I don't know a source of pre-compressed GRIB on a free service.
Old 12-03-2018, 18:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Iridium has their direct internet service but when I go to page on the Iridium site https://www.iridium.com/services/iri...rect-internet/ I can't see the download link (Chrome browser perhaps something is not showing up) but the links are here Iridium Direct Internet

I generally use and recommend Airmail because it is such a competent package and XGate when clients prefer. Neither are of course free but it is a once per year cost so is at least easy to budget for and as you mention saves you airtime costs.

I don't know a source of pre-compressed GRIB on a free service.
I use a MacBook Pro and Iridium's support for the Mac is almost non-existent. I gave up on trying to get Direct Internet 3 working. The only Mac application that still works with my Iridium Extreme (9575) is the original Iridium AxcessPoint Mail & Web with AxcessPoint WIFI. Iridium no longer sell or support AxcessPoint WIFI - Optimizer (replacement for AxcessPoint WIFI???) will not work with AxcessPoint Mail & Web. Optimizer does work with Iridium Mail & Web for iOS so I do have a backup for receiving my emails and GRIB files.

So at this moment, I can get my GRIB files with my Iridium Extreme and use them with the very impressive Weather Routing PI in OpenCPN - cost of Iridium airtime only. No extra charges from xGate, Airmail, PredictWind etc. and I still have the firewall and compression provided by Iridium Mail & Web - for now.
Old 17-03-2018, 15:37   #24
Moo

I came across this today. Some may find it helpful.

Sending and Receiving Emails in Windows 10

Tags
iridium, rib