Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 02:21   #1

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Grib files via Iridium?

Posting for a friend.

Up to a couple of years ago I was getting my GRIB files at sea via Iridium and GRIB US. That was very convenient as the GRIB viewer had a compressed mode for Iridium. Unfortunately GRIB US is not operating anymore. I have been searching the Internet for something similar (compressed GRIB files) that I could use with my Iridium 9505 A. Perhaps because this Iridium model is getting old, I haven't found anything suitable except perhaps using a compression service such as Xgate that cost an arm and a leg. There are also options with Iridium Go but that involve purchasing new hardware.

In short would you know of a free or reasonably priced way to get compressed GRIB files on Iridium 9505A?

I can't answer his question. Any takers?

Thanks, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 03:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Grib files via Iridium?

It shouldn’t be too difficult to make a small script witch send the grib request to a server witch fetches the request from the desired grib source, then compress the files before returning the compressed grib files to you.

I did did a quick test with compression of a grib file with different compression methods

Original grib file size: 669,7 kb
compressed with 7-zip 334,1 kb
compressed with bz2 253,8 kb

It seems that bz2 is the best method for compressing grib files.

with a such script you will be able to use any grib server to download compressed grib files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Posting for a friend.

Up to a couple of years ago I was getting my GRIB files at sea via Iridium and GRIB US. That was very convenient as the GRIB viewer had a compressed mode for Iridium. Unfortunately GRIB US is not operating anymore. I have been searching the Internet for something similar (compressed GRIB files) that I could use with my Iridium 9505 A. Perhaps because this Iridium model is getting old, I haven't found anything suitable except perhaps using a compression service such as Xgate that cost an arm and a leg. There are also options with Iridium Go but that involve purchasing new hardware.

In short would you know of a free or reasonably priced way to get compressed GRIB files on Iridium 9505A?

Thanks, Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grib-size.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	164039  
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 03:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Saildocs
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 16:05   #4

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Posting for a friend.

Thanks, Terry
The secret to downloading Grib files over a Satellite phone is to keep the file size small - less than 100kb. Satellite phones transfer data at 12 kb/minute and so a 100kb file is going to take 500 seconds or 8.33 minutes to download, assuming no dropouts or poor satellite connections.

I keep my Grib files to 25kb by requesting Wind, Pressure and Current over a 10 degree latitude x 16 degree longitude grid with 1 degree x 1 degree resolution and 6 hourly spacing for 6 days. An example Grib request is:
GFS:10N,0N,93W,77W|1.0,1.0|0,6,12..144|WIND,PRESS
RTOFS:10N,0N,93W,77W|1.0,1.0|0,12,24..144|CUR

Now for the satellite phone service. I use an Iridium 9575 with Iridium's AxcessPoint Wifi device and Iridium AxcessPoint Mail & Web. I am using the MacOS version. This gives you the compression and filtering needed to keep the file size small. The email app attached to AxcessPoint Mail & Web is called Scribe and it is quite easy to send a Grib request to SailDocs. Dialup again 5 minutes later and you can download the requested Grib files.

I do this a lot and my experience is that the Grib request will take less than a minute of airtime to upload and less than 2 minutes of airtime to download the 25kb Grib file.

Unlike xGate, there are no extra charges for this service, just your Iridium airtime. Unfortunately, Iridium has discontinued the AxcessPoint wifi device but it still works if you can get one. It has been replaced by GMNs RedPort Optimizer, but you require a xGate subscription for it to work with a computer.

The other alternative is to use the RedPoint Optimizer with Iridium's Mail & Web for iOS (iPhone or iPad). Strangely enough, you can get the Grib files by email using this app.

You will need to do some reading on AxcessPoint Mail & Web, AxcessPoint Wifi, Mail & Web for iOS and RedPort Optimizer, but if you put the time in, you will get the results.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 07:53   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
AxcessPoint Wifi
Does GO! work the same, or are there pro's and con's?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 08:15   #6

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Saildocs
Works for me.
Old 16-02-2018, 09:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Does GO! work the same, or are there pro's and con's?
Don't know anything about Iridium Go. But the principles will definitely be the same. I think Go is a wifi device in itself and does not require AxcessPoint wifi or the RedPoint Optimizer, or an xGate account.

Check it out on the Iridium website.
Old 16-02-2018, 09:38   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes it's a standalone WiFi hotspot, can use generically or has voip email etc optimized apps.

Thought maybe the file-size issue would be different
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 10:12   #9

Quote:
The secret to downloading Grib files over a Satellite phone is to keep the file size small - less than 100kb. Satellite phones transfer data at 12 kb/minute and so a 100kb file is going to take 500 seconds or 8.33 minutes to download, assuming no dropouts or poor satellite connections.

I keep my Grib files to 25kb by requesting Wind, Pressure and Current over a 10 degree latitude x 16 degree longitude grid with 1 degree x 1 degree resolution and 6 hourly spacing for 6 days. An example Grib request is:
GFS:10N,0N,93W,77W|1.0,1.0|0,6,12..144|WIND,PRESS
RTOFS:10N,0N,93W,77W|1.0,1.0|0,12,24..144|CUR

Now for the satellite phone service. I use an Iridium 9575 with Iridium's AxcessPoint Wifi device and Iridium AxcessPoint Mail & Web. I am using the MacOS version. This gives you the compression and filtering needed to keep the file size small. The email app attached to AxcessPoint Mail & Web is called Scribe and it is quite easy to send a Grib request to SailDocs. Dialup again 5 minutes later and you can download the requested Grib files.

I do this a lot and my experience is that the Grib request will take less than a minute of airtime to upload and less than 2 minutes of airtime to download the 25kb Grib file.

Unlike xGate, there are no extra charges for this service, just your Iridium airtime. Unfortunately, Iridium has discontinued the AxcessPoint wifi device but it still works if you can get one. It has been replaced by GMNs RedPort Optimizer, but you require a xGate subscription for it to work with a computer.

The other alternative is to use the RedPoint Optimizer with Iridium's Mail & Web for iOS (iPhone or iPad). Strangely enough, you can get the Grib files by email using this app.

You will need to do some reading on AxcessPoint Mail & Web, AxcessPoint Wifi, Mail & Web for iOS and RedPort Optimizer, but if you put the time in, you will get the results.
I just did a test with Iridium Mail & Web for iOS and the RedPoint Optimizer on my iPhone. Works very well and no xGate charges. Once the Grib files have been downloaded from Saildocs to Mail & Web on your iPhone, it is a simple matter to transfer them to your Mac with Airdrop. You can then open the Grib files in OpenCPN.
Old 16-02-2018, 13:35   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Posting for a friend.

Thanks, Terry
Terry,

Saildocs works well and offers compression and optimization of files.

We use the email service UUplus with a computer using the sat phone as a modem. UUplus handles all our email needs as well as file downloads. [Including Wx files of all types...] It more than pays for itself [~US$1/day] in sat time saved. [3x+ on average/month...]

We still find this cheaper [by about half] vs. an IridiumGO! with an unlimited data plan... [but a GO! may be in our future if data demands increase...]

We use an Iridium 9575, but I know for a fact it works well with your 9505A as well.

If you want more details about why we chose UUplus and why it is faster, see the page we maintain regarding sat comms. [Don't worry- no ads or begging for beer money...]

Best wishes finding what is best for you.

Cheers! Bill
Old 22-02-2018, 19:35   #11

Used to be able to connect my Iridium 9575 directly to my Mac USB port and connect to the internet with the Mac Dialler under System Preferences/Network/Iridium ....Handset. No compression or filtering but you could download/upload anything.

Following MacOS 10.12.4 update, the dialler stopped working and still does not work. It will log onto the Iridium server and it will show that there is data being sent/received (progress bars on dialler) but you cannot upload or download data to/from your Mac.

Anyone else come across this problem or found a solution for it?
Old 23-02-2018, 01:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

With SQUID (Squid - The Best Marine Weather Data Provider), you can request GRIB files (and routing and synoptic charts) by email ...

depending on the package you have, you can access a lot of models ... for free you get GFS (all resolutions), Meteo France Arpege and Canadian GEM ...

then saved on disk, uncompress and open in it with OpenCPN.

however, Squid do provide routing by email to avoid downloading large GRIB files just to compute a route ... the routing request + result (KML) is by far smaller to download (for a transatlantic, it is all about 25 Kb only). Very cost effective with Iridium and emailing like skyfile (or anyother)
mdelatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:38   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Used to be able to connect my Iridium 9575 directly to my Mac USB port and connect to the internet with the Mac Dialler under System Preferences/Network/Iridium ....Handset. No compression or filtering but you could download/upload anything.

Following MacOS 10.12.4 update, the dialler stopped working and still does not work. It will log onto the Iridium server and it will show that there is data being sent/received (progress bars on dialler) but you cannot upload or download data to/from your Mac.

Kevin,

We also use Mac OS with our Iridium 9575, direct connected. However, we always use UUplus email service for email and downloading files [including Wx] and that continues to work as normal after the recent Mac OS upgrade. [UUplus has never malfunctioned after any upgrades in the 4 years we've been using it...]

Sorry, I'm not set up to dial out directly from the Mac via the 9575... We let UUplus handle that for us.

UUplus is a service [~US$1/day] and we find it pays for itself 2-3+ times compared to the sat minutes saved due to internal efficiencies and its use of the Iridium RUDICS data optimization service.

I understand Sailmail also works with our sat phones, but only have experience with it over HF radio...

Good luck finding the best solution for your needs.

Cheers! Bill

PS: We keep a page about our sat comm choices updated mainly for ourselves so we can keep track of all the hows and whys [with links to testing and shortcuts, etc.] if you are interested.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:42   #14
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

Hi,
This is Topher from Global Marine Networks.

Apple’s 10.8 Mac OS X release restricted third party software being able to automatically create a sat phone location in the network settings. The process can still be accomplished manually. We walk XGate customers through this process almost daily.

XGate is an email client built for satellite users (specifically created by a mariner and for mariners). XGate compresses all traffic from 50% to 90% AND gives you the ability to receive weather forecasts, push posting to social media, and much more.

Warning: direct Mac to sat phone setup; there is no firewall to filter traffic (people can get in AND applications/updates can draw usage $$$). We highly recommend people use an Optimizer for protection as well as minimizing Airtime Costs. The Optimizer is a small router that works with most satellite device on the market, creates a firewall, and also gives you the ability to use smart phones and mobile devices.

Regardless, we are happy to help any customer establish their setup without an Optimizer. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions at support@gmn-usa.com

XGate Satellite Phone Email| Iridium 9555, Inmarsat, Globalstar via XGate | GMN

Satellite Phone Data RedPort Optimizer, Router and Firewall | GMN
Old 23-02-2018, 15:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Kevin,

We also use Mac OS with our Iridium 9575, direct connected. However, we always use UUplus email service for email and downloading files [including Wx] and that continues to work as normal after the recent Mac OS upgrade. [UUplus has never malfunctioned after any upgrades in the 4 years we've been using it...]

Sorry, I'm not set up to dial out directly from the Mac via the 9575... We let UUplus handle that for us.

UUplus is a service [~US$1/day] and we find it pays for itself 2-3+ times compared to the sat minutes saved due to internal efficiencies and its use of the Iridium RUDICS data optimization service.

I understand Sailmail also works with our sat phones, but only have experience with it over HF radio...

Good luck finding the best solution for your needs.

Cheers! Bill

PS: We keep a page about our sat comm choices updated mainly for ourselves so we can keep track of all the hows and whys [with links to testing and shortcuts, etc.] if you are interested.
Thanks Bill,

Works with UUPlus taking control of the logon. Works with AxcessPoint Wifi taking control of the logon. But doesn't work with anything using Apples direct dialler under System Preferences/Network. There is something in the changes Apple have made since 10.12.3 that is preventing the data to flow through in or out. I am using the latest MacOS 10.13.3 and still the issue persists.

Tags
iridium, rib