Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 23:37   #946

Re: Feature Requests

I would like to see a PORTABLE version of the program which can be run directly from a USB memory stick without the need to physically install it on each and every computer you own or use. This would enable users to take their OpenCPN program and Charts and move between boats and computers without having to carryout a full install each time.

If anyone else considers that this would be a useful function then please add your request to mine so that the program developers can get an assessment of the need for it.

Doug
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:10   #947

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwm10 View Post
I would like to see a PORTABLE version of the program which can be run directly from a USB memory stick without the need to physically install it on each and every computer you own or use. This would enable users to take their OpenCPN program and Charts and move between boats and computers without having to carryout a full install each time.

If anyone else considers that this would be a useful function then please add your request to mine so that the program developers can get an assessment of the need for it.

Doug
doug. I think it already is at least in WindowsXP.Copy all the files from the Open CPN Program files folder into the OpenCPN settings folder....Start Open cpn from a new shortcut here.Voila.You can take it to any Windows computer and copy this folder into the appropriate place-it must however be in the Appropriate place( XP=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\).

Voila.at least for me.
or there's the 2-folder way to make it portable...

because
You can copy the OpenCPN folder from Program files anywhere now and start Opencpn.exe(make new shortcuts,though!)
Start it,and you have a brand new O on a new computer.

BUT to keep your settings...you need two folders copied.The above and this:

the "opencpn"settings folder from it's location (that canfound by clicking the ?....for XP=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\ ...this must be placed in the same place or I guess,to the appropriate place found the same way,if you are copying to WIN 7...

I have successfully and easily copied full installs of O from one computer to another but it still pre-supposes your charts and your gps are in the same location on each computer.No big deal if they aren't though.Just show the cloned O where they are...your other settings should stay the same...

But how much time is saved?
Many(but not all)so-called Portable apps often have the same issue per "outside files".They will start without "installation",but still need to be told again where the files are,where the gps is,and whatever else is outside,if they aren't in the same place on the new computer.
and anyways O2.5 is the least painless an install that can be found anywhere on windoze,I think..
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:41   #948

Boat: Fantasia 35

This has been a long standing (and ignored) feature request. See the following for info on making both Windows and Linux portable apps.

Portable application - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 20:32   #949

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:

Doug
I agree with you, Doug

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:49   #950

Boat: HR40

Quote:

Doug
You find a portable version with lots of goodies here:

http://navigatrix.net/index.php

Navigatrix.net • View topic - Navigatrix 0.4 Sea Tested

You will need a 4 gigabyte or larger usb-stick to include the maps.
Old 21-09-2011, 16:52   #951

Boat: Swan 56

Thanks for providing OCPN, I'm using it more and more these days.

One feature I would find really valuable would be the ability to offset the GPS position.

Often the older charts are based on a local datum and not WGS84 so the GPS derived position, while correct, shows the boat in the wrong place on the chart. For example, the raster charts I have for the Philippines show me about 100 metres and 120 degM from where I actually am.

The ability to manually adjust the boats' position on the chart would be greatly appreciated.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 17:22   #952

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

The 'Additional information' feature of OCPN which can be set up through the Route Manager has limited space for the links entered. Could you please make this box scrollable?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_05 Sep. 21 21.21.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	31900  
Old 21-09-2011, 19:09   #953
Marine Service Provider

Dear Bewitched

I thought you could offset the chart in OpenCPN which has the same effect. I know this can be done with cmap 93 charts I am not sure if it can be done with rasters. Perhaps you can extract the image from your charts and recalibrate with map cal. I'f the inaccuracy is the same for all the chart you should be able to compensate for the error when you recalibrate. Do the latest NGA charts cover your area? I don,t have access to OpenCPN at the moment so cannot. Check out the offset facility for you.
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 08:32   #954

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Thanks for providing OCPN, I'm using it more and more these days.

One feature I would find really valuable would be the ability to offset the GPS position.

Often the older charts are based on a local datum and not WGS84 so the GPS derived position, while correct, shows the boat in the wrong place on the chart. For example, the raster charts I have for the Philippines show me about 100 metres and 120 degM from where I actually am.

The ability to manually adjust the boats' position on the chart would be greatly appreciated.
Check this tracker entry.
FS#309 : Offset corrections for rastercharts.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:19   #955

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
Dear Bewitched

I thought you could offset the chart in OpenCPN which has the same effect. I know this can be done with cmap 93 charts I am not sure if it can be done with rasters. Perhaps you can extract the image from your charts and recalibrate with map cal. I'f the inaccuracy is the same for all the chart you should be able to compensate for the error when you recalibrate. Do the latest NGA charts cover your area? I don,t have access to OpenCPN at the moment so cannot. Check out the offset facility for you.
Thanks for the response. I'd rather not recalibrate the charts, there are about 200 of them and I haven't even established whether they are on the same datun ( no datum is mentioned on the charts). I'd much rather get to an area, establish the offset by taking bearings and then plug in the offset.

I hadn't come across the CM93 offset facility......ill look again........any pointers where I will find this?

Thanks
Old 22-09-2011, 21:25   #956

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Check this tracker entry.
FS#309 : Offset corrections for rastercharts.
Thomas
Thanks....looks like its in the pipeline.

The link mentioned a manual way of doing this...do you know how?
Old 23-09-2011, 00:24   #957
Marine Service Provider

Bewitched

Turn off chart quilting
Right click on a cmap 93 chart
Select Cmap 93 Offset Dialog

A full explanation is in the user guide selected via help button

Regards

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 01:32   #958

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Thanks....looks like its in the pipeline.

The link mentioned a manual way of doing this...do you know how?
As was mentioned in the tracker entry, it is a question of manipulating the DTM field in the kap file header. Really using it for something it was not intended for!
To know what this actually means, read through Chart Conversion Manual.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 18:24   #959

Thanks all
Old 25-09-2011, 13:57   #960

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
This has been a long standing (and ignored) feature request. See the following for info on making both Windows and Linux portable apps.

Portable application - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you actually tried any of these on windose?I've had middlin' success with JauntePE030Alpha -but my PE-made 2.5 version still writes a log to the host computer's app data......
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote