Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 14:56   #961

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod
Re: Feature Requests

Have you tried setting the screen resolution to a lower setting? Say 800x600 or 600x480, depending on what your monitor supports?
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 19:21   #962

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Have you actually tried any of these on windose?I've had middlin' success with JauntePE030Alpha -but my PE-made 2.5 version still writes a log to the host computer's app data......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Portable Windows application A portable application does not leave its files or settings on the host computer. Typically the application does not write to the Windows registry or store its configuration files (such as an INI file) in the user's profile; instead, it stores its configuration files in the program's directory. Another requirement, since file paths will often differ on changing computers due to variation in Windows drive letter assignments, is the need for applications to store them in a relative format. While some applications have options to support this behavior, many programs are not designed to do this.

To be considered portable, for purpose of this list, a software program must:
  1. Not require any kind of formal installation onto a computer's permanent storage device to be executed, and can be stored on a removable storage device such as USB flash drive, enabling it to be used on multiple computers.
  2. Settings are stored with, and can be carried around with, the software (i.e., they are written to the USB drive). If the registry is used to store settings, the application's configuration isn't portable, and must be set up on every PC it is used on
  3. Leaves a zero (or near-zero) "footprint" on any PC it is run on after being used. i.e., All temporary files/registry settings should be removed once the program has exited, and files created by the user can be saved directly to the same removable media as the application is stored on.
Generally, smaller utility/toolkit software is inherently fairly portable; though larger applications are sometimes changed in order to allow a portable versions to be released (e.g., Opera@USB and OperaTor).

The need for portability arises when going aboard a boat that already has an integrated computer system that doesn't include OpenCPN. Replacing the operating system, or adding and removing applications is usually considered bad form. However, running an portable application off a flash drive is more likely to be acceptable.

I find it hard to believe that making a portable version of OpenCPN is that difficult. It seems that since OpenCPN doesn't write to the registry the main modification would be to make the file paths relative to the OpenCPN executable.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 20:10   #963
Marine Service Provider

VikingSailor....

Ok, Ok, I hear you.

You are correct, it is not that difficult to implement. Just has not had any priority so far. But your wheel is squeeking fairly well now.

I agree that a truly portable, transiently runnable version is a good idea.

Pretty soon now we shall be starting the 2.6 Beta cycle. Stay tuned...

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 22:39   #964

Boat: Fantasia 35

Dave,

Thank you very much.

Paul

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 23:08   #965

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
The need for portability arises when going aboard a boat that already has an integrated computer system that doesn't include OpenCPN. Replacing the operating system, or adding and removing applications is usually considered bad form. However, running an portable application off a flash drive is more likely to be acceptable.

I find it hard to believe that making a portable version of OpenCPN is that difficult. It seems that since OpenCPN doesn't write to the registry the main modification would be to make the file paths relative to the OpenCPN executable.

yes,I know what portable apps are,ideally,but using other people's computers would be the hard part,portable or not.I'd rather have my own laptop or cellphone with me.Or,it might be better to have a portable operating system on the usb drive.....and Paths are not so easy.Usb drives can identified as E:\to Z:\-different on every Windows machine you plug it in to...so it wrecks havoc with any simple config files.(though there are fixes)Also Portable Apps rely on the windows files being ok... what if you plug in to a computer that hasn't got the updated vcredist that was such a nuisance with XP machines?..your Portable OpenCPN is not going to interfere with the boat's machine but you just need to update the OS so it'll run...?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 23:12   #966

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
-but my PE-made 2.5 version still writes a log to the host computer's app data......
...but only where OpenCPN is installed already.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 04:41   #967
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull
Have you actually tried any of these on windose?I've had middlin' success with JauntePE030Alpha -but my PE-made 2.5 version still writes a log to the host computer's app data......
have you tried

http://cameyo.com/products.aspx

It has an online packager system but I cannot get it to accept my password

Regards

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 04:53   #968
Marine Service Provider

Just download and installed cameyo

You need to install a fresh version of OpenCPN on your PC in order for cameyo to detect all the files needed. I have just done this and copied the virtual app to a USB drive. Then launched OpenCPN on my wife's laptop that has never has OpenCPN installed It ran ok. I have uninstalled OpenCPN from my own PC and launched OpenCPN from the USB drive. I am now copying over my chart files to the USB drive to see if pointing to them in OpenCPN is retained when I run on my wife's PC. my wife is less than happy as she is worried about Facebook I will let know how it goes I will also try connecting GPS, AIS etc Virtual OpenCPN is about 32Mb on the USB drive.

Regards

Richard
Old 26-09-2011, 05:29   #969

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
VikingSailor....

Ok, Ok, I hear you.

You are correct, it is not that difficult to implement. Just has not had any priority so far. But your wheel is squeeking fairly well now.

I agree that a truly portable, transiently runnable version is a good idea.

Pretty soon now we shall be starting the 2.6 Beta cycle. Stay tuned...

Thanks
Dave
I hope you're thinking in terms of making OpenCPN truly portable and are not contemplating having two versions of the program.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:34   #970
Marine Service Provider

Just copied all my chart Files across to USB drive. I ran OpenCPN on my wife's PC pointed OpenCPN to the charts and charts displayed ok Set up a route in and saved it as a gpx file to the usb drive Moved USB drive to my PC opened OpenCPN from the USB drive charts not displayed but route diapays ok. Problem is each PC may or may not assign a different letter to the USB drive. not a problem point OpenCPN to the drive letter assigned on the parent PC and then point OpenCPN to the drive letter assigned on your other PC. Opencpn is pointing to both drive to fiind then charts. OpenCpn then appears to completely mobile from one PC to the other. early days yet I will continue running OpenCPN solely from a USB drive. Others will need to test on other os's as I am running on XP.Will It run on Xp and Vista and Win 7 from the same USB drive virtual open CPN. I hope we can in future distribute the installable OpenCPN and the virtual OpenCPN solely contained in single virtual .exe file.
Regards

Richard
Old 26-09-2011, 05:43   #971

You might try manually editing the relevant lines in opencpn.ini to eliminate the drive letter. It's possible that OpenCPN might then default to whatever current drive letter it's installed on:

[ChartDirectories]
ChartDir1=C:\\Documents and Settings\\username...

[ChartDirectories]
ChartDir1=\\Documents and Settings\\username...

I also recall being able to use relative referencing to move up the heirarchy of folders, using ..\ to signify going up a level above the current folder.

This is experience I have had with other applications, so you'll have to try it yourself with OpenCPN to see if it works. You'll need to check it again after quitting the application to see if OpenCPN overwrote your changes.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:49   #972
Marine Service Provider

Just tested virtual OpenCPN running on a USB drive with a Bluetooth gps ruining on com7 of the host computer. OpenCPN detects the com port ok and displays the correct position on the chart. looks like OpenCpn on a stick may be possible without too much work. As far as I can see OpenCPN is not wiriting to any directory under Application Data on my host computer

Regards

Richard
Old 26-09-2011, 05:50   #973

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411

I have two feature requests as follows:
  1. As a long time user of Microsoft Streets & Trips (for car navigation), I love (and frequently use) the zoom feature in which you create (via right button drag) a rectangle and click inside to precisely define the view. I realize the right button is currently used for something else. One idea would be to add an option under the right button menu to zoom to rectangle.
  2. Add the 'From Ownship' status to the Dashboard add-in so that practically everything in the status line can be replaced. This is important in those cases where the status line is desired, but the text is too small to read. The Dashboard allows font size to be adjusted and the Dashboard to be moved out of the way.
Thanks
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:56   #974

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
J...As far as I can see OpenCPN is not wiriting to any directory under Application Data on my host computer
In Windows it writes to opencpn.ini, typically located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\opencpn.ini
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 06:08   #975
Marine Service Provider

What I am saying is that virtual OpenCPN does not need to write or read from a directory in application data but can do this locally on the usb drive I will start a new thread titled Virtual OpenCPN or OpenCPN in a Stick to separate from Features request to features now

Richard