Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-03-2022, 15:42   #1

Re: Feature Requests

Thanks, Hakan. One thing the manual doesn't mention is you have to restart OpenCPN for change to take effect.
calm seas60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 08:07   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm seas60 View Post
Thanks, Hakan. One thing the manual doesn't mention is you have to restart OpenCPN for change to take effect.

Fixed https://www.opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwik...res:user_icons
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 18:56   #3

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

And welcome to CF, Calm-Seas!

We're always here to help if you need us!
Old 09-05-2022, 19:25   #4

While browsing through the source code, I found there seems to be a beginning of an implementation to parse and handle altitude data (from SignalK and gpsgate buddy 'FPROS' update messages) but it's just discarded. Would it be possible to develop that further or make the data available to the plugin API? (I haven't checked if it is yet)

For example, showing the target altitude as subscript under the target, or inside if the target is just an outline? I work with both AUVs, drones and USBL systems (trackpoint & co) so being able to track and display things that would be above or under the surface would be immensely useful.

It would also be useful for TPR and TPT sentences, not necessarily for trawling but for towed or lowered equipment.
Maes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 19:42   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

All of this you can do in a plugin, where you have both the SignalK and NMEA data feeds available. For most of the users the altitude has next to zero importance so doing anything about it in the core application has very low priority.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 20:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
All of this you can do in a plugin, where you have both the SignalK and NMEA data feeds available. For most of the users the altitude has next to zero importance so doing anything about it in the core application has very low priority.
Ah that's good to know, thanks. I'll have to look more into that.
Maes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:15   #7

Maes,

If you have a look at source for either the OpenCPN built-in Dashboard or the Engine Dashboard you can see how to receive both NMEA & SignalK messages.

If you are interested in your own vessel/drone etc, you can get the current position from the Plugin API SetPositionFix. and convert that to a pixel location with GetCanvasPixLL.

If you are interested in another vessel/drone that is in the list of AIS Vessels/Tracked targets, I think you'll have to iterate the AIS target list using the GetAISTargetArray API, determine it's position and annotate the chart.

From my perspective, it would be nice if there was a mechanism to annotate the chart or add a context menu item to AIS Context Menu for an AIS vessel.

So many plugins must now be performing the same tasks (ie. determining if an item of interest is in the current viewport) that there must be some performance impact.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 10:16   #8

Vector chart display options. Improve interface.

A way to access all settings and options affecting vector chart display with a single action. Click an icon, a single menu choice, anything. OpenCPN’s implementation of vector chart displays is excellent. It’s finding all the options that could use some improvement. The current set up works well enough once the navigator has studied the charted area, laid in waypoints and routes and need only tweak the interface for the best view based on the current activity. However when viewing an area for the first time and needing to study the chart and set it up we have to go to 3 separate areas to find all of the settings and options.

• Chart Panel Options/Display Category/drop menu for Base, Standard, All and User Standard
  • Options/Charts/Vector Chart Display for numerous settings
  • Options/Display/Units
Navigating the current interface can be a real challenge when using OpenCPN on a small touch screen device in rough weather.

As NOAA, CHS and other agencies move away from raster and go to vector only such subtle yet useful changes in the interface would be most welcome.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 11:34   #9
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

There is a tool not very well known called "templates" you might want to consider for scenarios you are decribing..
Options|Display|Templates
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 08:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
There is a tool not very well known called "templates" you might want to consider for scenarios you are decribing..
Options|Display|Templates
bcn, if you are responding to my post #3261 thank you for the prompt response. However the use of templates does not seem to solve the problem.

My request is for easy access to all vector chart display options which will vary depending upon geographical location, the chart in use, conditions and what the navigator is trying a accomplish at any given time. Templates seem to give the user a way to make global settings.

Using templates would require advance work creating multiple templates for all conceivable situations for the transit ahead.

I admit I'm just learning to use templates and may not fully understand their use yet. I am unable to find any documentation for templates in the user manual.

There also seems to be some buggy behavior but I won't post on that until I'm sure it is OpenCPN vs my inexperienced operator error.
Old 21-05-2022, 11:16   #11
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Templates will deal with pre-cooked settings for standard situations like planning, detailed views or what ever you like and how one prefers. A way to organize personal and individual preferences.

Given the big zoo of different devices with all type of screens and resolutions plus the diverging standards how the Hydrographical Offices define for example SCAMIN parameters (the scale from which on the object will be shown) there is now way to make some "fits all" recipe. Add the preferences of the user. How much "clutter" do you like? How large shall a font be? How large the symbols? Or the AIS targets. One does like some different color scheme? Define it and navigate.

The main options to play with the settings you will find at

- Options|Display
- Options|Charts|VectorCharts
- Options|UserInterface
- Panel Options (Hamburger down right on the screen)
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 10:58   #12

Boat: Najad 34

I think you're overdoing this.
In Options->Charts->Vector charts select all but "Important text only".
Set the depth limits once to fit your boat.
In the per canvas menu, "Hamburger", to the right select "Display category" "All" if your PC can stand it. (Most will do today).
In the Hamburger select or not "Look ahead mode"
For day and night switch lights on/off by key "L".
That's it. How a narrow entrance can change that I don't understand. Maybe use two canvases and overview on one and details on the other for a full control.
... My simple view.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 12:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I think you're overdoing this.
In Options->Charts->Vector charts select all but "Important text only".
Set the depth limits once to fit your boat.
In the per canvas menu, "Hamburger", to the right select "Display category" "All" if your PC can stand it. (Most will do today).
In the Hamburger select or not "Look ahead mode"
For day and night switch lights on/off by key "L".
That's it. How a narrow entrance can change that I don't understand. Maybe use two canvases and overview on one and details on the other for a full control.
... My simple view.
Thank you for your response and helpful suggestion. However I think you are both missing one of my main points yet helping make it at the same time. That is persons unfamiliar with OpenCPN when presented with a new area are going to struggle with the interface. Your familarity with OpenCPN's UI make it easy for you. Not all of the persons I might have for crew on a given voyage are familiar with OpenCPN or necessarily computer literate.

Regarding the narrow entrance. It is not the width of the channel that makes it challenging. The Columbia River is well know as a very hazardous entrance. The navigator needs to be able find all of the information / data they need without overload. Without struggling with the UI.

Simply put, the UI could be easier to use.
Old 27-05-2022, 06:03   #14

Boat: Gemini 3200

A user unfamiliar with OpenCPN should not be trying to learn his way around it while trying to enter a difficult channel. A large crew unfamiliar with the program should not be tweaking it while under way.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 09:37   #15

Re: Vector chart display. Improve interface

Back from non-boat responsibilities here are more thoughts on my feature request “Vector chart display options. Interface improvement” post #3261. As requested by nohal post #3266 I have specific suggestions on how to improve the interface. Having the various options and settings that affect vector charts in several places of the UI requires the user to memorize where those locations are. In a very real sense negating the usefulness of a GUI. I’m no longer requesting that the location of the options and settings for vector charts be moved. I am requesting a streamlined access to those settings. This can analogous to the way hot keys work but without additional hot keys. The options and settings remain where they are, we simply have easier, faster ways to access those options and settings. These suggestions will not adversely affect experienced users of OpenCPN.

This could be implemented as follows.

In Chart Panel Options (The hamburger menu) / Vector Charts we could have new selections / icons located beneath the Display Category drop box. These selections / icons would open the current UI’s relevant dialogs.

The first and most important new selection / icon would take the user to the
Options/Charts/Vector Chart Display dialogs where the majority of vector chart settings are located.

The next two are not as important and might be under a new heading in the hamburger menu All Chart Display because they affect both vector and raster charts.

A selection / icon to take the user to the
Options/Display/Units dialogs. This will give the user access to options and settings that affect both vector and raster charts with depth being the most important setting here with respect to vector charts

Finally consider a selection / icon to take the user to the
Options/User Interface/General Options dialogs. The reason for this one is to give easy access to font settings. It may not be considered important enough to place access in the hamburger menu.

The new Chart Panel Options menu might look something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New hamburger menu.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	258518