Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 16:09   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Climatology

A routing starting in early July for an Atlantic crossing to 51,0 using Climatology rather than Grib, synchronized with the boat as starting point, Wind On, Current Off. ...Sean's exciting new planning plugin, validate Jimmy Cornell and and pilot charts & perhaps find new routes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July Atlantic-X 7-6-14-sm.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	60773  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 17:24   #32

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Ah, it looks bad because you need to use a lot more angular steps for boat directions to travel, and probably a larger timestep to make computation take the same time.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 16:54   #33

Now, for testing. We do need a lot of testing. I was playing around with the output for a few hours and didnt run into any issues. I'm on x86 linux though.

opencpnplugins - Browse /climatology_pi at SourceForge.net

I have been improving the plugin gradually, and Rick has been compiling vast amounts of data into a usable form and size for general use. The currents are based only on the year 2012, so in the future, we need to support all the years, and also show differences based on climatology indicies.

Otherwise, I still need precipitation, fog, humidity, air temperature etc.. I think I have found the data, but my connection is too weak to complete a download.

More importantly, if anyone has access to swell data, it would be good to have. If not, I think I can derive it off wind and current eventually, but it may not be as accurate.

You need library and data files. If compiling from source, you still need the data files.

Opencpn 3.2 or later (git version) required, and opengl must be enabled as well. I am tempted to support non-opengl mode, but it will be slow, and not easy to implement for overlay maps.
Old 14-05-2013, 17:10   #34

Sean, if you want to give me the links to precip, fog, humidity, air temp data that you what I'll see if they can be downloaded. (I might have to purchase a drive for space, but I should put this base data somewhere more permanent anyway) -There will be some choices to be made about Data vs Storage. Perhaps the choice can be made by the user with some of these additional data types? - I was just writing an email to you about this.

Thanks for making us all a great tool.
Old 14-05-2013, 17:26   #35

Code:
Ah, it looks  bad because you need to use a lot more angular steps for  boat directions to travel, and probably a larger timestep to make  computation take the same time.
I see, I've got to adjust the configuration settings, so that the routing becomes less angular by adding more steps, and an even greater timestep (I had increased it up to 20000)

I need to work with the plugin more now, but recall a place to set the start date, but I did not notice a finish time? Also if the distance exceeds a month, does the plugin switch to the next month's data?

Also I was wondering if the current is factored into the route if the data is available? I've already had some questions from a friend about being able to establish some other guidelines like the one you have for wind speed (such as wave height, etc)
Old 14-05-2013, 19:37   #36

A few notes about the Windows Climatology plugin

Put the downloaded data into 'plugins/climatology/data/'
If number values don't show in the display control when you scroll the cursor across the map, try shutting Opencpn down and restarting, then start Climatology.
There should be a progress bar that shows as the data is scanned. If not check your paths and shutdown and start up Opencpn & plugiin again.

Sean, this window dll download does not seem to show the map overlays.
Old 14-05-2013, 21:21   #37

[QUOTE=rgleason;1235580][CODE]

I need to work with the plugin more now, but recall a place to set the start date, but I did not notice a finish time? Also if the distance exceeds a month, does the plugin switch to the next month's data?

I just added finish date and time. and yes it switches to the next month, but does not interpolate between months for a gradual data shift yet
Quote:
Also I was wondering if the current is factored into the route if the data is available? I've already had some questions from a friend about being able to establish some other guidelines like the one you have for wind speed (such as wave height, etc)
Yes it uses currents, and can use grib wind and climatology currents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

If number values don't show in the display control when you scroll the cursor across the map, try shutting Opencpn down and restarting, then start Climatology.
There should be a progress bar that shows as the data is scanned. If not check your paths and shutdown and start up Opencpn & plugiin again.

Does it render everything else?
Old 15-05-2013, 04:43   #38

Regarding Variability Factors

First reviewed some previous discussion:
Sean re logic for Climatology
Rick some ideas for Climatology

Sean response with some discussion about variability

Rick details about the wind rose and variabilty

Sketch of possible way to include variability

I am not sure what Sean has done with Climatology logic,
if you assume that the Monthly data averages each wind rose on the grid from 6 hour data (170gb of data) and then the weather_routing plugin uses that information to calculate routes.

Looking at the monthly wind rose at a specific location on the grid, there are 8 vectors, representing direction and magnitude (wind speed). Attached to each vector is a % frequency with the total of all 8 vectors being 100%.

Here is one idea of how to calculate variability:
1. Sum the vectors with the frequency %.
Vector1 x Frequency1% + Vector2 x Frequency2% + etc.
2. Result: a single wind rose vector for a specific grid location which represents a frequency weighted summation vector.
3. The above is calculated for the Month, assume that it actually calculated as follows:
  • Pre-calculate during processing the wind rose at a given location, for each of the 4 weeks.
  • Pre-calculate during processing the weighted summation vector for each week.
  • Store each of these 4 weekly vectors in the wind rose database that the users download, slightly increasing the size.
  • Utilize them to inform the routing during the month.
  • Calculate the differences between the vectors to determine how to change the monthly wind rose week by week.
  • Perhaps during week 1 use vector1, week 2 use vector2, etc.
Old 15-05-2013, 08:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason

Does it render everything else? --- It did not render Wind, current, etc.

Just now. after Git fetch branch, and git clone Climatology_pi, compile (same as what I just sent as email, with immediate breaks in MSVC) BUT as Release version.
Took that dll and put it in Opencpn 3.2.0 plugin folder and then tried it, even though it has an immediate break in MSVC.

The plugin opens, and I can move cursor around and get good values in all the data types. When cursor is over land the data is shown as "1.$" When I check box Cyclones nothing is showing yet (have to check config), clheck box on Cloud cover the cloud overlay shows, check box on seatemp the seatemp text shows, then buiding isobar starts and it hangs up on High cpu use and gets just partway through. (I first tried this with check box wind, same thing) Had to shutdown opencpn from Task Manager.

Also noticed that it shows "1.$" in data field if the file is not there. miinor. I add the full set of current files 1-12 and that becomes good data.

Ah just restarted Opencpn. Started climate. went to config, turned of Isobar under wind and just have the overlay map (colors) and numbers, NO Isobar. -And it rendered the colors overlay map for wind just fine! -This seems faster than before, no big pause to re render between months, very nice. Also the number display and wind roses are better layout.

So it seems like checking the isobar for wind and sea temp, causes High CPU and hang. (also keep in mind that under MSVC Debug mode there is an immediate break due to some wx date problem which has been troubling for awhile. -sent via email, just awhile ago.)

Attached is a picture of the first hangup.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climatology-CheckWind-BuildisobarMap-HighCPU.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	60831  
Old 15-05-2013, 08:11   #40

Found out currents is acting a little weird. sometimes shows data for a month then next month shows 1.$ but should show data because have that currents file. Don't know what is causing it yet.

Just check box pressure and the building Isobar window is up with High CPU useage again. So this is pretty consistent problem. Have to cancel the prgram similar to cntrl-alt-del
Old 16-05-2013, 04:37   #41

Nassau - Newport Climatology Routing using Month of June (May 29 - June10) Opencpn 3.3 using Ubuntu 12.04LTS running in Virtualbox on a Win7 Laptop

Sean it works very well in Unbuntu. Thank you for a great improvement!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nassau to Newport May 29 - 12 days  3 hours.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	60865  
Old 16-05-2013, 07:25   #42

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48
Looks very nice, I am looking forward to the Windows version.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 07:48   #43

It is almost there for Windows, I think, (Sean may be sailing). Here is the result of the latest compile from sean's github. It hangs when Isobars are building. So you cannot turn on Isobars or you will have to close the entire program and restart. It uses Plugin API 1.10 so it must be run in the Opencpn 3.3 environment, more later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climatology Plugins Win7 -closer-works without Isobars.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	60868  
Old 18-05-2013, 14:38   #44

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello,

I placed a french translation of Climatology plugin here :