Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 12:22   #16

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
sounds great, the only reason why it didn't work intuitively for me was because the distance (name) of the mark was empty and the alarm just kept going off (see my screenshot above).

Perhaps all new marks should have default names btw, as is intended in the case of routes..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:35   #17

Boat: Sailboat
Quote:
For sure the method of setting the distance should be at least easier to guess. But I still like the value in the name. LeaseOnLife is right that this should be a generic value for default (80% length of anchor chain?). How about this:

- the radius value is set in config file per each ship, default default = 75 meters
- when setting anchorwatch, the name of the mark is set to "<default> mtr" (if not suitable for distance already)
- the mark is then editable as usual, so one can adjust it
- even is someone does not know how to operate anchorwatch, (s)he will notice the change in mark name, and once the Mark Properties dialog is open, all becomes clear

Is it OK?
Pjotr,

I think this could work, with one addition. When changing the distance for that anchor mark, I would like to have that new value written back to the config file. The amount of anchor chain really depends on the anchoring situation, not the maximum possible chain length. For example, I am anchored in only 10 feet of water, good holding muck, with a scope of 1:5 = 50ft. My GPS sensor is at the stern of the boat, add 44ft. Therefor my anchor watch radius is set to 40meters.

Also: a choice of meters or feet should be possible.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12   #18

I think this is just how it works. That specific mark name is saved in the opencpn.ini file. One can reuse it next time, as long as it is still nearby.
The default, as most defaults, might be in the opencpn.ini as well.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 07:02   #19

How about adding a log entry on the event of an anchor watch alarm?

Dan
raisin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 17:49   #20

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
First of all, thanks for adding anchor watch. It took me a while to figure out how to actually activate it. A few issues:

How to actually set the anchor line length? I normally use 2 anchors, but lets not make it too complicated at first.

Second, why does it draw such a weird outline shape around the boat instead of a circle? Why does it not scale when I zoom in and out?

How to actually use a sound for an alarm and set it?

Thanks
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 09:02   #21

The name of the alarm mark sets the distance in metres, just give it a try, the weird symbol is the alarm going off sicne its at 0 metres. Negative figures give prox alerts.
Old 23-04-2010, 13:09   #22

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Ok, I got the distance set.

I am assuming the sound alarm is not implemented? That is what I really need. Also, if it uses wxwidgets wxsound class, it is a bad idea under linux because it uses OSS. That means if another program has the device opened even if it isnt playing a sound, it wont work.

alsa would be better, and really just invoking an external program to play the sound is probably the most versatile.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 13:01   #23

Yes, the alarm subsystem needs reworking to include a unified general facility (AIS, anchorwatch, XTE, COG, charted dangers... visual/sound/log alerting...). Just now the chart handling is obviously a priority, so let's wait with structural modifications until 2.x.x stabilizes.
Some suggestions as to the usability/defaults for anchor watch have already been posted in this thread, but I am so busy now with the ship, that probably I will not be able to code anything before October ... ( :-) / :-( )
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:16   #24

Setting Anchor watch

Hi, Firstly many thanks to everyone for OpenCPN it's great.

Many I suggest that setting an anchor watch standard default will be very difficult since there are so many variables; size of boat, chain, warp or combination, depth, wind, how many anchors set, open or tight anchorage etc. etc.

I like:
1) your suggestion of using the last value used and saving it in opencpn.ini.
2) using the mark name to display the alarm value. It works well.
3) the ability to place the centre of the alarm circle where it's needed.

Keep it simple and leave it to the skipper to decide what is appropriate on the day.

Many thanks.
Washboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25   #25

Boat: Sessa Oyster18 Mercury 90hp Carb
Sorry but I do not understand how.

Should I put the anchor-watch up where I left the anchor?

If I left the anchor 30 meters from the boat, how to configure the settings of the brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
The name of the alarm mark sets the distance in metres, just give it a try, the weird symbol is the alarm going off sicne its at 0 metres. Negative figures give prox alerts.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46   #26

The anchor watch mark defines a radius (circle) within which you think you may swing whilst anchoring, so it could be where your anchor is.

Para definir o tamanho do alarme, voce tem que clicar no símbolo com o botao direito da mouse, "propriedades" (mark/wp properties). Aí tem que definir o nome do símbolo com a distancia do circulo do alarme, por exemplo nome = "100" -> raio do alarme = cem metros
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00   #27

I get it, forget my doubts, thanks you all for your enormous patience!

Quote:
The anchor watch mark defines a radius (circle) within which you think you may swing whilst anchoring, so it could be where your anchor is.

Para definir o tamanho do alarme, voce tem que clicar no símbolo com o botao direito da mouse, "propriedades" (mark/wp properties). Aí tem que definir o nome do símbolo com a distancia do circulo do alarme, por exemplo nome = "100" -> raio do alarme = cem metros
Old 04-05-2010, 10:08   #28

Eu quiz dizer: coloca como nome SÓ a distancia em metros assim: 100

Pronto!

Parece que já esta funcionando como voce colocou. O alarme esta ativado (circulo), quando esta ligado parece como no seu ultimo imagem acima. Voce pode definir um som (alarme) também.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22   #29

Quote:
Eu quiz dizer: coloca como nome SÓ a distancia em metros assim: 100

Pronto!

Parece que já esta funcionando como voce colocou. O alarme esta ativado (circulo), quando esta ligado parece como no seu ultimo imagem acima. Voce pode definir um som (alarme) também.
PT - Já entendi, o nome do waypoint é a medida do circulo.
Exemplo 50 quer dizer 50 metros de raio.
Fantástico.
Outra situação que seria muito útil, mesmo tendo outras plotters no barco é que as informações dadas pelo GPS deveriam ser bem maiores e não tão reduzidas. Mas isso é a minha opinião!

EN - I got it, the waypoint name is the measure of the circle.
Example 50 means 50 meters radius.
Fantastic.
Another situation that would be very helpful, even though other plotters in the boat is that information given by GPS should be larger and not so small.
But that's my opinion!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28   #30

Quote:
Another situation that would be very helpful, even though other plotters in the boat is that information given by GPS should be larger and not so small.
That's a popular request, but it goes against the interface design. Why don't you try an external programme to display GPS data, such as PolarCOM or gippy on linux

PT: O principio do desenho de opencpn quer o tamanho máximo para mostrar as cartas.. As vezes voce quer tentar usar outra programa para mostrar os dados do gps

Tags
anchor