Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 09:17   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Largest boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I wouldn't even consider singlehanding without a competent crew!

Have made a few singlehanded trips but all were coastal so allowed anchoring overnight. Don't really like the idea of sailing without someone keeping watch, even far offshore.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:44   #17

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Size for me its not a isue if i anchor in the open, now docking in tight marinas could be a disaster....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We think alike. .

I was just about to post the same thought when I you beat me to it. .
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:55   #19

Boat: J/42

I had decided on 40(ish) feet. Why would one person need more boat than that, anyway? But after actually starting to shop around and looking at the increased costs for... well, everything... Sticking with 30 feet is starting to look more comfortable.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:12   #20
cruiser

Re: largest boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd sail some really big ones, the high dollar ones have power everything.
Just don't ask me to dock say a 65' Oyster single handed
I'll show you how to do it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:23   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

and now, for another opinion!

Go with the smallest well found boat you will be satisfied with. If you like ketches, it will keep the stacks formed by the mainsail fairly small, unless you go with roller cars, for easier reefing going downwind. The small stack made by the head of the sail will be easily reachable.

You need a comfortable berth, make sure the one you choose is snug and secure in a seaway.

The reasons for going as small as you'll be satisfied with is that it keeps all costs lower, and the boat will be easier to maneuver in tight docking situations. Everything will be easier to do. If you are tall and strong, nothing wrong with 40 ft. Me, at 5'3", I'd be looking 30-36 ft., and not a ketch.

Now, we personally prefer cutters, partly because of less top hamper, also because they are likely to work to windward better, and windward performance is important to us, so you might want to consider cutters, as well.

You are unlikely, at your age, to increase much in strength and agility, however, if you're in good nick, you should be able to maintain strength and agility pretty well, barring unforeseen circumstances. Going smaller means the boat will not generate such huge forces. This, in turn, is easier on your body.

Ann, the wrinkly
Old 07-02-2017, 12:45   #22

Boat: Colegate 26

I've been watching a lot of sailboat review videos on YouTube, and it seems to me there is a size range where everything seems comfortable. It's not so cramped that you're fumbling around equipment that's in the way, and not so spacious that you're constantly out of reach of necessary thing. From what I've seen, that goldilocks range is 60 to 65 feet, depending on the design.

That's not to say a 40 foot boat is uncomfortably small - just that more than likely something is going to be in your way, like the main sheet, cockpit table, helm, bimini ... And when you get to 60+ everything starts being so comfortably spread out that you can move more freely, and see more clearly, everything that is necessary when you need it.

But as the boats keep getting bigger suddenly you're SO spread out that you're taking several steps just to reach the instrument or gear that you need.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:49   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

How big, huh?

I've pitch poled 14, 16, and 17 foot catamarans, and turtled a 20'. Sank a 7' sailing dinghy.

I think I'd better downsize!

When you talk about single-handing, don't just think sails. Think about the other stuff, and when something goes wrong.

Say, for example, your windlass craps out, can you lift a 44lb anchor? A 65lb anchor?

When the gearshift breaks off while landing the boat, can you stop it yourself with a dockline?

In a big blow when the furler stops working, do you want to have to go up on deck and try to yank the sail down? Or would you rather send your wife?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:00   #24

This is a not uninteresting question.

One factor in size is LWL and longer LWL means higher hull speed and in most conditions the longer LWL will get you there quicker... and that's a good thing.

My Contest 36s has plenty of room for one and I don't feel I need more because of how well this boat is laid out.

Perhaps a 40' with a stand up after cabin would be more comfy... but I don't sleep there unless anchored... so the V and the aft cabin are storage places for passage and the aft cabin is where I sleep when anchored.

More tank capacity would be welcome... as well.

But then as you get bigger you have more sails and everything else is larger and forces will be greater... so I wouldn't want to get much bigger and have to rely completely on mechanical and electrical assists. If they fail... YIKES...

I suppose low 40s would be the max for me... all things considered.

The bigger you go the more expensive everything is... Why spend when you don't have to or can't?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:07   #25

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
How big, huh?

I've pitch poled 14, 16, and 17 foot catamarans, and turtled a 20'. Sank a 7' sailing dinghy.

I think I'd better downsize!
I've often found the little boats to be more difficult than bigger boats because everything happens so fast, and you're likely sitting down rather than already on your feet.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:10   #26

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
My crew is an a**hole. But singles just fine on a 43 until I try to dock it.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:27   #27

Quote:
That's too funny, its impossible to single hand with a crew, lol
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:44   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
But singles just fine on a 43 until I try to dock it.
Docking single handed is really no harder than docking with a crew. It's getting the lines over and tied up when the wind or current is going that's the hard part.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:59   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Largest boat

Going alongside solo is just a matter of preparation.. I lead my bow and stern lines to midships.. also have a line on the mid cleat.. come alongside and step over with the midship line and secure it.. then grab the stern line, tie that off and then collect the bowline as I walk forward.. tie off.. job done.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:59   #30

Boat: SOLD

Í´d say that a 40-50 range boat is handy enough to siglehand and big enough to have real confort onbaord, have guests, put a solar array, carry a small dingy on deck ,lots of storage space, fridge and freezer, a/c, .........

Some will say: -"it has too much sail for a single sailor". That´s why someone nvented furlers. Just remenber to reef early, before you need it.
-"it´s hard to dock in a tight spot or with cross winds". Practice, practice, practice, and a good bow trusther.

And most important: hear and read all type of opinions, but ONLY buy the boat you and only you (or the admiral) are confortable with.

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat