Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2012, 08:31   #1

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II
Boat will only back out to the right

My Whitby 42 has a major default backing out of a dock, she will only turn right and in a narrow channel, I have already been in serious trouble not being able to exit properly. This is caused by my propeller, which is the most effective one in forward gear.
There are many boats with similar problems and I was wondering if anyone had found a way to exit the slip nicely turning left with a line attached on the dock, an anchor back in the channel or any other way to back out of my dock on the left side with elegance regardless of the direction of the wind?
How about keeping a line attached to the dock until the boat reaches mid-channel, would the boat turn to the left or would this accelerate the move to the right?
Old 19-10-2012, 08:39   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Boat will only back out to the right

Mine doesn't seem to steer (predictably!) in any one direction when going astern - so, count yerself lucky ........but mine is pretty predictable at simply going dead astern .

So I do my turning when going forward, even though that means a bit of toing and froing. The upside is that she turns quicker when going forward.

Oh, and fenders .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 08:41   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

most boats are affected by the itch of the prop--try feathering the throttle as you try to reverse--sailboats do not back up like cars, in any way, shape or form.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:02   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44

put helm over hard get way on in reverse then go to neutraland or use the prop wash to push the stern one way or the other.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I had a similar problem. First the PO had installed a prop with a pitch greater than that recommended by the designer. Until I was able to change the prop, and even after the correct prop was installed, I found that getting the boat to move slightly astern and then going to neutral helped to track straight back.

Now I use a combination of reverse, neutral and rudder to port; followed by- forward and rudder to starboard to effect a tight radius turn. At no time does SOG exceed 1.5-2. At 2, my "SOP" requires neutral and if close quarters immediate opposing gear. This has worked well on a Tartan 33, your result may vary...

Bill

WOW took too long composing this! Sorry for redundant post
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:27   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Try practiceing with your spring lines ! you can make a boat go where ever ya want, with spring lines ! It's one of your biggest helpers in backing up or leaveing a dock! just takes some practice to get the idea down !! Just sayin, your spring lines can be your best friend when backing up !!
Old 19-10-2012, 09:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
My Whitby 42 has a major default backing out of a dock, she will only turn right and in a narrow channel, I have already been in serious trouble not being able to exit properly. This is caused by my propeller, which is the most effective one in forward gear.
There are many boats with similar problems and I was wondering if anyone had found a way to exit the slip nicely turning left with a line attached on the dock, an anchor back in the channel or any other way to back out of my dock on the left side with elegance regardless of the direction of the wind?
How about keeping a line attached to the dock until the boat reaches mid-channel, would the boat turn to the left or would this accelerate the move to the right?
When I back my boat I sit in front of the wheel and steer it as I look back at the stearn,helps alot,still a little tricky but its easier to steer..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:49   #8

Practice. If blowing hard you need to use lines. In normal circumstances: with the rudder centered, put the boat in gear at idle only just until it starts moving, slip it out of gear, then back into gear at idle for more momentum etc. Once you're maybe half way or more out of the slip, start to turn the rudder the direction you want the stern to go, goose the engine a bit in Reverse and back to neutral. To swing the bow around turn the helm all the way and give the engine a good strong goose in forward and back to neutral. This should spin the stern quickly to one side, bow to other. Continue with the turn helm/reverse and then turn helm/forward goose-it thing to get the boat headed where you want. The more the wind is blowing, the more you need to have the timing down. Eventually your intuition will know your boat well enough to get it right. That's the short version..!
The key when starting the above , is to get the boat moving a little, without the prop turning continuously (the prop pushes the stern one way) , so in and out of reverse at idle will get some momentum going.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
When I back my boat I sit in front of the wheel and steer it as I look back at the stearn,helps alot,still a little tricky but its easier to steer..
I did this on my previous boat and it worked as a charm. But not on this one, she has a mind of her own!
Old 19-10-2012, 10:12   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah the joys of backing a full keel boat with a barn door rudder. Between prop walk and wind pushing the bow, its a wonder they back up at all.

Get a bit of speed up and go neutral, which will neutralize the prop walk and drift back. If your lucky you might get some rudder control.

Sometimes I just zen it and let the boat go where it wants. Doing a back and fill Which is while backing up the fairway, when the boat starts drifting to one side, apply a bit of forward to get the boat straight again and continue in reverse.

With a barn door rudder your using full right or full left with sometimes straight back. Plus the wind will push the bow however it wants.

With a bit of practice, you can turn the boat around in about a boat length.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 10:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
With a bit of practice, you can turn the boat around in about a boat length.
A boat length is about all I got to back out! It will take a lot of practice unless I find an other solution (not excluding a bow thruster).
Old 19-10-2012, 10:26   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

You say it backs to the right? Start with the boat all the way against the port-side finger pier. Start with a neutral rudder. As soon as you put it in gear, gun the engine so that it pulls you away from the finger pier. Then shift to neutral and coast the rest of the way out of the slip.
Old 19-10-2012, 10:27   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Look in thread. docking in Heavy Weather. Some techniques of using springs are discussed there. If you have the possibility, attach a stern line to the end of your slip on the port side.

When you back out, the line will tighten and your.boats stern will turn to port.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 10:35   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Speed in reverse is your friend. Go slow and prop walk will turn the boat every time. Give a bit of throttle, say 50% to get the boat moving and go idle/neutral will give you rudder control.. To stop turning, go forward a few feet and reverse again..

Same thing with turning 180-270 degrees, use the prop walk to rotate the stern, with wheel hard to prop walk in reverse and hard opposite forward. Have done that in a 36' space with strong side current (Lots O fun there for a minute too).
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 10:58   #15

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress

Roland
Have you thought about backing into your slip? That way you go out in forward which is much easier and you can also see what's going on the the fairway.
Backing in can be tricky. Since my slip is on the port side of the fairway I come in along that side. When the helm is about 1 1/2 slips before my slip I turn hard to the starboard when I start getting close to the boat across the fairway I put the boat in neutral and when my wife starts screaming I rev the engine in reverse to stop forward motion then slow it down and let the prop walk take me into my slip. I can straighten out the boat by putting the rudder to port or if necessary putting the engine in forward and giving it some speed then back to reverse. It sounds more complicated than it is. The real trick is to determine where to begin your turn across the fairway. When you put the boat in reverse you want your stern to be slightly below your slip so that the propwalk will bring you in.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote