Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 01:22   #16

Boat: wanted a Westerly bought a Halcyon 27
Re: Why buy the expensive MMSI for your AIS and EPIB

I don't know where you are from but in Belgium you need to get the SRC-permit for using a radio onboard. With that license you get a callsign and MMSI # what you need put in your radio and AIS device. No SRC-license = no callsign nor MMSI#
tgv62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 14:29   #17

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
...I performed a random check of 12 local recreational vessels with FCC-issued MMSI and found that fully half of them fail to show up in the ITU database, although all are listed in the FCC database--searchable, and available here:

License Search - Ship License Search
Many thanks for that pointer to a customized FCC license search. I did not realize (or perhaps did not remember) that you could perform an FCC license search and limit it to certain categories, such as ship station license.

Your results are most interesting. I suspect that ship station licenses that were issued many years ago may have never been coordinated with the ITU ship station database.

I am very interested to see what the FCC will respond with to your inquiry.

Also, I am a bit surprised their license search webpage is still working. I tried to search another of their databases recently and got a re-direct to a page explaining that due to the government shut-down that resource was temporarily unavailable.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:04   #18

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Many thanks for that pointer to a customized FCC license search. I did not realize (or perhaps did not remember) that you could perform an FCC license search and limit it to certain categories, such as ship station license.

Your results are most interesting. I suspect that ship station licenses that were issued many years ago may have never been coordinated with the ITU ship station database.

I am very interested to see what the FCC will respond with to your inquiry.

Also, I am a bit surprised their license search webpage is still working. I tried to search another of their databases recently and got a re-direct to a page explaining that due to the government shut-down that resource was temporarily unavailable.
You don't need an MMSI for a non DSC radio, in fact they are not issued unless your radio is DSC capable. My handheld for instance does not have one. Maybe these older ships station licences were issued for non DSC VHF radios so would not have any MMSI nor be included in a database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockholm View Post
This means British registered boat need a European certified SSB set and must have the long range comms certificate to operate it.
You don't need an SSB radio in the EU or in the UK. You only need a VHF and even then it only needs to be a handheld. An MMSI is issued by Ofcom for any and all DSC equipment (ship station, handheld, EPIRB and shore stations). You also do not need a long range certificate, the Short Range Certificate is all you require to operate a VHF.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 22:24   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
You don't need an MMSI for a non DSC radio, in fact they are not issued unless your radio is DSC capable. My handheld for instance does not have one. Maybe these older ships station licences were issued for non DSC VHF radios so would not have any MMSI nor be included in a database.

You don't need an SSB radio in the EU or in the UK. You only need a VHF and even then it only needs to be a handheld. An MMSI is issued by Ofcom for any and all DSC equipment (ship station, handheld, EPIRB and shore stations). You also do not need a long range certificate, the Short Range Certificate is all you require to operate a VHF.

And AIS, which is not DSC equipment.

But the UK does require British-registered boats going offshore beyond the range of VHF to have a MF radio on board that can be used for communications (as well as a bunch of other safety equipment, all based on area of operations). They haven’t unfortunately allowed satellite phone technology as an alternative yet.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 00:28   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

But the UK does require British-registered boats going offshore beyond the range of VHF to have a MF radio on board that can be used for communications (as well as a bunch of other safety equipment, all based on area of operations). They haven’t unfortunately allowed satellite phone technology as an alternative yet.[/QUOTE]

Things may have changed since I left but the UK position up to 2010 was that they advised recreational vessels sailing offshore to carry SSB but only required it of commercial vessels. The reason sat phone are not recognized as safety communications at sea under SOLAS (so applies to all countries not just the UK) is because they cannot broadcast a general distress call but only contact specific numbers. This means they cannot link into AIS or other systems that would alert nearby ships or broadcast a mayday distress call. They may be very useful in other ways but are not part of the ships safety system.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 00:31   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

[QUOTE=Privilege;2796685]A question for all you sailors that have traveled to different countries.
I'm in the process of purchasing an AIS and EPIRB for my 44' sailboat and need an MMSI number first. Although my boat is registered lawfully in Bermuda with the local Marine and Ports department, Bermuda requires me to register my ship with the British Shipping Registry and then apply for a licence to get my MMSI...a $1,500 process...plus annual registration.

Found this link that may be of interest. Bermuda is part of the wider red ensign group but has a separate registry to the UK.

https://www.guidetoshipregistries.co...ountry/bermuda
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:53   #22

Quote:
...Maybe these older ships station [licenses] were issued for non DSC VHF radios so would not have any MMSI nor be included in a database.
The original comment (by TUGWIT, see earlier in the thread) to which you refer explicitly mentioned the vessels in question that were not found in the ITU database had "an FCC-issued MMSI."
Old 11-01-2019, 04:13   #23

Quote:
You don't need an MMSI for a non DSC radio, in fact they are not issued unless your radio is DSC capable.
To obtain an FCC-issued MMSI one just has to check a box on the application form. There is no entry on the form that you must make to swear and avow to owning a specific radio with specific capabilities.
Old 11-01-2019, 13:53   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

David, Just a couple of pieces of information for you. When we lived in Bermuda our boat was only registered with Marine and Ports, we later found out it was not registered in any country. While there we bought an AIS and a DSC radio and so wanted an MMSI. Being in Bermuda we applied for a Bermudian one, Harbour Radio as it was then called let us known that this was an international number, it started with 310....good anywhere in the world. Before leaving Bermuda we registered the boat in Canada. On our departure Harbour Radio gave us a call on the VFH to verify our float plan, at this time they mentioned to us that our MMSI was Bermudian and that we should get a Canadian one. They reaffirmed that our MMSI in the EPIRB would still be valid but that for sure we should make the change.
Now this cost us some dollars, can’t remember what it was but we had to have a technician with the proper credentials change the MMSI in the EPIRB and two PLBs. The MMSI in the radio has to be done by a tech as well, we were able to change the AIS ourselves. So a bit painfull to have to change it. Best to get the MMSI from the country where you are going to register your boat. We registered where we are citizens. Don’t know if this is true but one official I spoke with said that if you need help and are in a situation where help is not immediately forthcoming your own country is more likely to apply pressure.
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 15:05   #25

I search the international data base and my MMSI appeared.(from 2007). However it showed an EPIRB that expired.. It was replaced in 2016 and register and recently (DEC 2018) re-registered. It shows up on the FCC site along with my ships license but not on the International database. It appears someone is not updating records. I'm US based
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 18:15   #26

The topic of this thread contains a misleading question (as well as a mangled acronym and an omitted question mark):

Quote:
Why buy the expensive MMSI for your AIS and EPI[R]B [?]
If the OP meant to write "EPIRB" instead of "EPIB", which I think is a safe assumption, then the OP has a misunderstanding about how an EPIRB works.

EPIRB devices do not transmit an MMSI. Each EPIRB transmits its own unique identifier code that is ASSOCIATED WITH THE EPIRB ITSELF and embedded in the device by the manufacturer. EPIRB devices were in use before the invention of the MMSI. All EPIRB devices are not associated with a vessel.

For some cogent advice see this webpage:

How do I register an EPIRB?

When you "buy the expensive MMSI" it is not for an EPIRB.

The irony of EPIRB and PLB identification numbers is that there is no registration fee for them. Unlike the MMSI, which must be purchased at some cost, about $225 in the USA, registration of the EPIRB in the USA is free.

The manufacturer embeds the identification code in the EPIRB device. When an EPIRB is purchased, the owner then registers himself as being associated with that device's permanent identification number. If the EPIRB is associated with a vessel, and that vessel has an MMSI, then the MMSI can be included in the information submitted with the registration of the EPIRB.

When an EPIRB is registered, here is the NOAA form used for USA registrations:

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/...orms/epirb.pdf

There is a line for entry of a vessel MMSI under the section VESSEL INFORMATION and the sub-section VESSEL TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Old 11-01-2019, 18:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
It appears someone is not updating records. I'm US based
I don't know how often the FCC sends data to the ITU, nor how often the ITU adds new entries to their database.

It took about five or six weeks for my newly issued MMSI from the FCC to appear in the ITU database search on-line.
Old 11-01-2019, 18:30   #28

Boat: Valiant 42
Why buy the expensive MMSI for your AIS and EPIB

Our MMSI and call sign show up correctly in both FCC and ITU database. But my EPIRB is only showing in the NOAA database. Can't get the FCC to add it even though I have sent multiple online change requests. And NOAA database has the wrong FCC call sign even though I have tried to change that a few times. Right now we don't need the EPiRB so I have time to keep trying to fix that.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Our MMSI and call sign show up correctly in both FCC and ITU database. But my EPIRB is only showing in the NOAA database.
Is there a public-access search for the NOAA EPIRB registration database? If so, please mention the URL. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2019, 15:12   #30

Boat: Valiant 42
Why buy the expensive MMSI for your AIS and EPIB

NOAA database is only available to account owner to check their personal data. No ability to search other person’s data.

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/index

There is confidential personal data in that database. I would not want it open to the public. I suspect most of us would agree.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais