Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37   #76

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Why buy the expensive MMSI for your AIS and EPIB

By way of update to the original post. I was able to obtain a Bermuda MMSI number without registering my vessel with the British Maritime peeps. I was then able to buy an EPIRB from the U.S and register it with NOAA using my Bermuda MMSI. I don't think I've broken any laws, I've registered my EPIRB responsibly and I've saved myself some money. Win, win.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:19   #77

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
By way of update to the original post. I was able to obtain a Bermuda MMSI number without registering my vessel with the British Maritime peeps. I was then able to buy an EPIRB from the U.S and register it with NOAA using my Bermuda MMSI. I don't think I've broken any laws, I've registered my EPIRB responsibly and I've saved myself some money. Win, win.
Interesting approach.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:29   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
A question for all you sailors that have traveled to different countries.
I'm in the process of purchasing an AIS and EPIRB for my 44' sailboat and need an MMSI number first. Although my boat is registered lawfully in Bermuda with the local Marine and Ports department, Bermuda requires me to register my ship with the British Shipping Registry and then apply for a licence to get my MMSI...a $1,500 process...plus annual registration.

What would happen if I paid the $25 to register my boat for local travel, got my MMSI number and then traveled overseas? Surely the MMSI number would remain the same as would the boat and emergency details associated with it?

Obviously, I wouldn't dream of upsetting the authorities or breaking the law but in reality, what would happen if I turn up in a different jurisdiction with an MMSI issued for local travel? Would they even know?

Do you live in Bermuda ?
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais