Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 13:48   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Stecktronics Anchor Light

Recently, actually almost a year ago, bought a boat with the above anchor light controller. Sometimes it works somewhat, sometimes it does nothing. The company is out of business and the email to rsteckly gets no response. I would like to find out if the electronics are up in the light or down below somewhere. I have had the light come on so the light seems to be working, just the control circuit isn't.
So if anyone has one of these or is familiar with them, are the electronics in with the light or separate down below somewhere?

Thanks,

Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 13:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Stecktronics Anchor Light

Not familiar with the brand but I'm guessing from your post that this light is supposed to come on automatically when it gets dark?

If that is the case then the photo sensor and solid state switch are almost certainly in the light itself. However it also needs to be powered on from the panel or switch below.

First, always check the easy stuff first. Make sure the below decks circuit that sends power to the light is always switched on (make sure it isn't powered by some circuit that gets switched off and on for something else). Also make sure you're getting good power to the light.

If that end it good then you probably have a problem at the masthead. Either a bad wiring connection to the light or a failure in the light itself.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:23   #3

The light has several functions, always on, dusk to dawn, and several flashing sequences. Dug through some of wiring mess behind the breaker panel today. Thinking maybe a bad ground connection somewhere. Keel stepped mast enclosed in paneling, I'll have to remove that so I can get to the actual wires going into the mast. I'm sure you are right in that the electronics are up in the light itself.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:24   #4

Just got an email from someone who used to sell them and he confirmed that the electronics are in the light. I've had the light come on real bright at one time and then real dim another time, that's what makes me think that maybe it's a bad ground somewhere. Really don't want to have to listen to the admiral if I have to go up the mast.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Not sure if this is so on the Whitby but my keel stepped mast all the wiring goes to a bus bar by the base of the mast so easy to check voltages to the various circuits up the mast.

Hope you will have the same.

You probably already know this but just in case, when you get to the wiring for the light check the voltage when the light is on or trying to be on. I have several times tested a circuit on a boat that showed full battery voltage until I turned on the light or whatever was fed by that wire, only to see the voltage drop to essentially zero. A bad or corroded connection can show good voltage until there's a load on the circuit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12   #6

Boat: Shuttlecat 32

there was a version of the masthead light they made that had an ability based on how you turned it off/on to do different functions. ie. turn it on/off x number of times and it would strobe SOS, or not turn on automatically at night, etc. I had the instructions somewhere, but can't seem to find them. Might be worth searching some more, Reynold (the founder) lived on a Trumpy MY in BKH then KW.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59   #7

That's the light. Apparently the boat sank during Irma and they lost everything and retired.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02   #8

>>Not sure if this is so on the Whitby but my keel stepped mast all the wiring goes to a bus bar by the base of the mast so easy to check voltages to the various circuits up the mast. <<
That would be great but have not run across anything like that, but have not really spent a lot of time on this project. Right now A/C is a priority, this is Texas, after all.

Tags
anchor