Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 06:55   #1

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer 35
Spot Hug Users ?

Hi,
I'm looking for input from any users of the Spot Hug device. I have it installed on my sailboat but it appears to have a few glitches. Don't want to pour out my experience if no one is interested, but if there are users out there I'd be interested in exchanging ideas.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:14   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Spot Hug Users ?

i use spot-- i have used two different models-- the newer one-- with tracking unit is better than the older original one. the older one you HAVE to push button every time you want it to send a message or position. th newer one will track for up to 24 hours -- but ye have to check on it-- sometimes it stops, so ye push the button again. is cheap and easy and keeps my mom happy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:20   #3

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma

I believe he's referring to the SPOT HUG which like monitors the security of your boat? Correct?
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:22   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oh my bad....i have feline onboard security and a baseball bat.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 08:19   #5

Yes I was asking specifically about the Spot Hug (odd name, I know). It provides ability to track and send SOS like other Spot devices, but also is able to monitor sensors on 4 "channels" such as high water, open doors, etc. as well as monitoring unauthorized movement. If alarms are generated, the Spot system sends email and texts to multiple phones. Great for unattended boats like mine is a lot of the time. At least that's the claim, but as I said it has some glitches, such as wiring color codes that don't match the manual.
Old 18-07-2011, 17:42   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"wiring color codes that don't match the manual. "
That's how Detroit used to build cars. "Hey boss, we're out of red wire!" Can't stop the assembly line, use whatever you got.

But I'd certainly complain to the maker and the seller, and send the damned thing back if it doesn't work and the installation instructions don't match the product.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:10   #7

Boat: Leopard 39

I am actually getting ready to hard wire my Hug in this weekend. I used it to track our progress on a just completed delivery trip, but that was running on AA batteries.

I do intend to wire it up to a bunch of on board sensors. Any specifics you can share with your problems? I will see if I can duplicate it on my end!

Rick
fhcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 19:34   #8

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

I would contact spot. have had decent luck with their support.

Also Zeehag, BOTH SPOT1 and SPOT2 have 24 hour tracking. I have been using it for 3 years now with my SPOT1. Use tracking exclusively.

Both will ONLY track for 24 hours when you have to reinitiate it

Also SPOT1 has far longer battery life (AA vs AAA batteries 4-5x as long life with the old unit). The SPOT1 floats. SPOT2 doesnt. They are having issues with the caps that cover the buttons on spot2

the new unit is a lot smaller, supposedly has better/faster GPS lock, but I have never had a single issue with getting a lock yet.

I wish they would come back with longer battery life and self floating.

But I digress.. I do like the HUG. I would be interested in what the issues are, that were mentioned in the opening post.

Also, posting on the SPOT facebook page gets you pretty prompt responses as well.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 06:28   #9

Boat: 38ft motor yacht

I was looking here to find out about Spot hug because I saw it at the boat show">Miami Boat show yesterday, I had no idea you needed batteries for it, or that you had to push a button to make it work... Starting to sound kinda rinky-dink to me.. I saw another tracker that seems better, Anyone have any info on the Eagletrack GPS ?? Atleast it connects right to ship power and has all the functions as an alarm with the GPS tracking to boot. The boat alarm send s text messages if your boat is being stolen or taking in water too.
pokerdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 07:09   #10

I believe the hug connects to the ships power, but uses batteries as backup power in case it is cut or the battery dies. Also it needs the batteries if you take the unit out of the holder to use it as traditional tracker.

it is a good system for what it is designed for. I like the security feature HUG offers. It will notify you if it moves out of its fenced in area (it gets stolen, or breaks free from the mooring/anchor), as well as the other optional alarms (bilge water, security, low battery, etc)

what response cener does eagletrack use for its SOS feature (does it have a sos feature?)? SPOT uses GEOS. Does it have a web based tracking page you can share with your friends? check in features to send ok messages to facebook as well as your email and text friends?

Spot offers a lot for a reasonable price....that is if the product fits your needs.

from a brief view of the sea-eagle, it looks like a marine version of a slap and track that repo guys use, or a lojack type device. Only offers a small portion of what spot offers with HUG.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:09   #11

I bought my Spot Hug one year ago at the Miami Boat Show, and after fixing a few glitches it has been in permanent use since then. Yes, it connects to the boat's main batteries. It is permanently mounted out of sight. It has internal batteries for backup, and the daily email message gives you the state of the battery supply as well as GPS location and confirmation of sensor configuration.

Not sure what you mean about having to push a button to make it work. It is configurable from a keypad, and if you want it to send an SOS or an OK message of course you have to push a button. However, it sends an automatic signal if any of the four configurable sensors are triggered, or if the boat moves (or vibrates) without authorization. If the boat moves without authorization, you get a phone call from the monitoring center.

I got the Hug because I am slightly paranoid about taking on water. I am out of town for long stretches and sometimes can't check the boat regularly. If I get a high water alarm text, at least I can telephone for help.

As Phantomracer said, it does a lot for a reasonable price, if it's what you need.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:16   #12

Phantomracer,
I just noticed that you asked for details of the glitches in your post of a year and a half ago. Sorry I didn't notice that at the time.

The main glitches as I remember were a fault or short that caused the internal batteries to run down within a few days, and wiring color codes for sensors that didn't match the manual. The fault/short was fixed by replacing the unit. The web site had, I recall, at least two different versions of wiring diagrams at the time. One was not correct, and neither matched the manual or the actual unit. I figured it out by talking to a Spot engineer. Things are probably rectified by now.
Old 18-02-2013, 09:38   #13

Boat: 38ft motor yacht

Phantom. The Eagle Track ST-100 is A true Marine tracker, has web based tracking available to family and friends and is only $349 made in the USA and has real time two way communication with the vessel. If you want to have your mechanic come do some work, you can deactivate alarm functions from anywhere in the world and reactivate when the work is done. Not to mention if your taking on water you can turn on the bilge pump. Plus if your boat is being stolen it will cut off fuel supply and ignition automatically.. Global Star doesn't offer two way communication, it only tracks.....
pokerdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 14:32   #14

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerdv8 View Post
Phantom. The Eagle Track ST-100 is A true Marine tracker, has web based tracking available to family and friends and is only $349 made in the USA and has real time two way communication with the vessel. If you want to have your mechanic come do some work, you can deactivate alarm functions from anywhere in the world and reactivate when the work is done. Not to mention if your taking on water you can turn on the bilge pump. Plus if your boat is being stolen it will cut off fuel supply and ignition automatically.. Global Star doesn't offer two way communication, it only tracks.....
Are you associated with Eagle Track ?
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 14:41   #15

I cant find anything online about the st100. I found the sea eagle here https://www.eagletrackgps.com/eagel-products/sea-eagle/

I did find this article New GPS Boat Security Device Provides Tight Security in a Tiny Package | Business Wire

says the EAGLE TRACK, ET-ST100 is GSM, not satellite like the HUG (true only one way). The eagle that is satellite (ET-STP100) is $1600

it looks like it alerts the owner via email and/or text, not a response center. Spot goes to GEOS, which will handle the issue (alert authorities) as well as alert you, and track the boat.

kind of like apples and oranges. totally different systems

I don't have a dog in this fight. Was just curious what the eagle track is and what it offered.

If you are near a cell tower, always, the eagle looks like a good deal. where I boat there is iffy, at best, cell service.