Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39   #31

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Spot Hug Users ?

Figured I would update this thread as SPOT has introduced the SPOT generation 3 tracker.

Although there are 2 huge flaws - lights are blinding at night, and the spotadventures tracking is next to useless now.. there are a LOT of new, improved features (NO I do not work for SPOT - actually I am not a fan as of late, but I still try and be fair and open minded)

It now offers (some extra cost)
  • 'unlimited' tracking - which WILL NOT shut off at 24 hours! And as granular as every 2 minutes! Customizable!
  • 'unauthorized movement' notification - will alert you via email and text, AND alert Boat/US (IF you purchase the boat/us help alert feature) and they will coordinate a search for your boat!
  • USB power - can power via boats battery!
  • software upgradable!
  • a second 'ok' button - they call it 'custom message'
  • tracking will STOP of your boat is in the same location (won't have 2000 flags at your mooring!) Will resume posting tracks once the boat has movement!
  • more versitle mounting
  • a lot lighter and smaller than spot-1

Might have missed something.. but thats the gist.

That said, as I mentioned in another post, I think the SPOT 3 needs to be recalled and fixed. It is very dangerous to use at night, as the green LEDS are blinding and will ruin your night vision, cause a constant, annoying distraction if within eyeshot.

But these are features We SPOT users have been waiting for. Now if they would just fix SPOTAdventures and the unreasonably bright, and not dimable, LEDs it would be close to perfect.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"USB power - can power via boats battery!"
Sounds like management has been reading up on the online discussions about how to keep SPOT powered up without Energizers.<G>

Daylight-visible LEDs often are too bright in a dim setting, there's little you can do about that from the outside, but covering half the LED with some black or metal tape makes a good compromise.

Wait for SPOT4...if Higher Management is still listening, maybe they'll let you control the LED brightness by pushing a button combination that changes it among four discrete levels.<G> And putting a solar panel on the front, to keep it trickle charged.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:45   #33
Wireless Satellite Boat Monitoring

Community Sponsor

I just would like to chime in with our service called WEBBOATWATCH.

We do have a status LED on our unit that is position away from the user and is nowhere near as bright as the Gen 3 SPOT LED, I have seen it in person and can verify this. Also, I am attaching a picture of our tracking so everyone can see how it looks and functions.

We offer everything that SPOT does and more. Although, currently we are getting approval for GEOS. Our service provides bilge level notification, intrusion notification and impact notification all sent through text, email and documented on the web. All our devices are wireless and self-powered.

Please PM for pricing.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Figured I would update this thread as SPOT has introduced the SPOT generation 3 tracker.

Although there are 2 huge flaws - lights are blinding at night, and the spotadventures tracking is next to useless now.. there are a LOT of new, improved features (NO I do not work for SPOT - actually I am not a fan as of late, but I still try and be fair and open minded)

It now offers (some extra cost)
  • 'unlimited' tracking - which WILL NOT shut off at 24 hours! And as granular as every 2 minutes! Customizable!
  • 'unauthorized movement' notification - will alert you via email and text, AND alert Boat/US (IF you purchase the boat/us help alert feature) and they will coordinate a search for your boat!
  • USB power - can power via boats battery!
  • software upgradable!
  • a second 'ok' button - they call it 'custom message'
  • tracking will STOP of your boat is in the same location (won't have 2000 flags at your mooring!) Will resume posting tracks once the boat has movement!
  • more versitle mounting
  • a lot lighter and smaller than spot-1

Might have missed something.. but thats the gist.

That said, as I mentioned in another post, I think the SPOT 3 needs to be recalled and fixed. It is very dangerous to use at night, as the green LEDS are blinding and will ruin your night vision, cause a constant, annoying distraction if within eyeshot.

But these are features We SPOT users have been waiting for. Now if they would just fix SPOTAdventures and the unreasonably bright, and not dimable, LEDs it would be close to perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 4.28.06 PM.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	65314  
WebBoatWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49   #34

Boat: Morgan 41 O/I

I have a spot hug since they were release I have been satisfied. I love the key fob it just remove the thinking out of the process. You just get on the boat normally never think about your hug. The fact that i am not able to turn on the bilge remotely is irrelevant for me because my super hitech boat has a automatic bilge switch and a backup. If your high water alarm go on its probably that your bilge is broken or your battery are dead no point for me to spend 2000$ on a eagle. The only flaw of the hug is its missing a contact for the system being active, if i could know when the fob is aboard or the keypad is deactivated then i would not need a other alarm system against burglary. Now i have two system running simultaneously one silent: spot hug and a door/motion detector running who is not as good as the hug beacause i have to punch the code every time but at least it alarm my neighbor that i'm getting rob or that my bilge is full.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58   #35

Just to chime in on this I wrote a little tracking website called thekeel.com which can integrate with Spot. You can create passages, annotate them, get an iframe for your website, etc. $0, I use it myself.

It's new so if you have problems email me or send me a PM, happy to help.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 15:15   #36
Wireless Satellite Boat Monitoring

Community Sponsor

Our system would integrate the motion detection along with the your desired features into one comprehensive unit. Please PM for pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Conquest View Post
I have a spot hug since they were release I have been satisfied. I love the key fob it just remove the thinking out of the process. You just get on the boat normally never think about your hug. The fact that i am not able to turn on the bilge remotely is irrelevant for me because my super hitech boat has a automatic bilge switch and a backup. If your high water alarm go on its probably that your bilge is broken or your battery are dead no point for me to spend 2000$ on a eagle. The only flaw of the hug is its missing a contact for the system being active, if i could know when the fob is aboard or the keypad is deactivated then i would not need a other alarm system against burglary. Now i have two system running simultaneously one silent: spot hug and a door/motion detector running who is not as good as the hug beacause i have to punch the code every time but at least it alarm my neighbor that i'm getting rob or that my bilge is full.
WebBoatWatch is offline   Reply With Quote