Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 15:09   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Spot Hug Users ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian R View Post
Are you associated with Eagle Track ?
I was thinking the same thing.

Also, I don't know how I feel about a piece of electronics having the ability to remotely kill the engine. Having a kill switch fail on a car is one thing, but on a boat.. I dunno how I feel about it.

I can see someone getting an alert, forgetting their partner had the boat for the weekend, thinking it is stolen, then killing the motor remotely, just as the driver of the boat was just about to get out of the way of a tanker or barge. trying to restart the motor in a panic.. I am sure if the siren and everything was going off.. that would just add to the drama.. also would only work if the engine was gasoline.

Also...how do you electronically kill a diesel engine??? You can turn the key off and the main 1-2-b-n switch and the motor will still keep going.. probably fry the alternator if you remotely kill the motor.. you would have to kill the motor BEFORE it was started. don't know how you do that though..

yea... more I think of it.. the less I like the remote-kill of the starter. Won't work unless you are clairvoyant and know when it will be stolen. can get someone in trouble killing it while its in motion (thief or your friend), and wont work on a diesel if already started (other than killing the alternator).

I just have a hidden kill switch I flip when I leave the boat. sure seems to work.

sure you MAY get a notice via text/email, if the boat isn't out of cell range (pretty easy around here), then the owner has to contact the proper authorities himself . Not sure about the average owner, but I don't have the USCG, harbormasters, etc committed to memory. plus if you don't have your cellphone with you, or your computer, you may not get the messages at all. I don't sleep with my cellphone...so be the next morning I get the text from midnight the day before when my boat was stolen. At least with HUG, the service will track the boat and alert the authorities for you.

not saying the eagle track is a bad product, just doesn't fit my particular needs.

I am strongly suspect that 4-post pokerdv8 has some sort of vested interest in eagle track.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 18:35   #17

Boat: 38ft motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian R View Post
Are you associated with Eagle Track ?
Not really sure how got into this so deeply,,, lol I have an eagletrack tracker, I think its fantastic, I looked at hug and passed, Im only involved in this conversation cause I came across a post then saw some one mis rep what this American made product does. And I kinda want them to do well, employing home grown labor should be rewarded,, I did buy the Onshore version because I rarely go out more then 10 miles and cell coverage is good all the way out,, So for $16 month you cant go wrong,
FYI I bought a tracker for my 16 year old's car too, it tells me everytime he speeds,,, he hates it.. lol
pokerdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 08:25   #18

all of 5-post pokerdv8's posts to date have been promoting eagle track. No doubt there is a relationship somewhere in there.

as far as the cell range/10 miles, etc. I don't buy it. Cell service is horrific here in the boston area near the shore. Most cell towers are inland and just kiss the shore. i have a hard time getting a cell singnal in my marina. I don't buy that cell service is reliable 10 miles out. I can't get good singnal 2 miles out, and trouble even 1 mile at times. If boston area doesn't have good marine cell service, I suspect lesser populated area would have even worse.

I wouldn't trust my security of my boat to a product/service that 1) relies on cell service only 2) has no monitoring center 3) can be remotely manipulated in any way, shape or form. The captain should have 100% control of his vessel, not the OWNER (or person with access to the remote capability).

Not knocking the product, its just not for me.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:22   #19

Boat: 38ft motor yacht

Paul. like I said, I got drawn into this conversation about this tracker, everytime theres a post it comes to my email, and I have to respond. Where I live cell coverage does got out ten miles and more, Ive gone to Bahamas and have cell coverage about a third of the wat there and pick up in the Bahamas (roaming) about 5 miles out. But once again there are mis understandings about eagle track. The vessels engines will automatically shut down if alarm is triggered, So it wont start if any thing triggers alarm from outset. If ur boat is under power and has been stolen and for some reason alarm wasnt triggered u can manually turn off engines, i believe boat has to be a later model with electronic ignition and fuel ... older diesals cant be shut down.. I dont need global coverage so i am comparing hug to the GSM based version of eagle to hug... I dont know about you but I have workers going on boat fairly often, and i like the ability to deactivate alarm system without being there, hug cant do that. thats the reason i got this tracker/alarm,,, now im done responding.... im sorry i ever got into it with u... wasnt looking for an argument... i just think i got better deal...
pokerdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:24   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

mind you SPOT is the only thing keeping Globalstar going at the moment!!!

Dave
Old 19-02-2013, 10:19   #21

again comparing apples and oranges. two totally different systems. pick which is right for you. The features you like are the ones I don't like and vice versa.

The best deal is the one that fits someones needs.

I, personally, wouldn't want the liability of remotely shutting off a motor at the wrong time and killing the thief...repo guy...or your friend/partner/wife..because the boat stopped while trying to cross a tanker or something like that. Thats why car alarm installers kill the STARTER not the ignition. Why anyone would kill an ignition is beyond me. Unsafe doesn't begin to describle that practice. If you have yours killing the ignition, please change it to kill the starter.

but we have different needs and these different products satisfy each specific need. Not saying one is better than the other. I dont own either product.

The only workers on my boat is ME, myself, and I. On the hard, I do have a varnish guy. Thats it. On the water, I am the only soul that ever touches any mechanical system. The only alarm I have is the wife when she screams when we heel too much!
Old 28-05-2013, 09:42   #22
Wireless Satellite Boat Monitoring

Community Sponsor

Hello,

My name is Eric. I am the Marketing Director for WebBoatWatch and we provide satellite boat monitoring. I have been reading user reviews of the SPOT HUG system as well as other systems and I believe we have the answer for satellite boat monitoring. We provide a service that is completely wireless with minimal installation. We stand out from the competition in that we provide notifications of not only GPS location information but also engine tampering, bilge water level, intrusion, battery level as well as speed and heading information all through wireless technology. All our sensors are self-powered and can be installed by you the user.

Notifications are sent to your cell phone through text or email and are also listed on the web.

If you have any questions please send a private message and I will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Eric M.
Marketing Director
Web Boat Watch
10751 75th Street N
Largo, FL 33777
Phone 727.541.4149
Fax 727.541.4293
WebBoatWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 13:15   #23

Is this your website Eric? XPONDR-Inner2

Still some shortcomings, for me, is there appears to be no 'unauthorized movement' out of a 'fenced in area' area like HUG.

Also there is no monitoring center. The owner gets the notification via email or cell? I would prefer that a monitoring center contact the appropriate law enforcement or response contact, and not have to let it rely on the owner to track them down.

I don't see anything about price on the website as well.

I think it would be more helpful, if you are going to plug your product, to engage in the discussion and explain why it is superior to other products. and not hide the price of the product and the service price.

This is all assuming the website above is yours.
Old 29-05-2013, 07:06   #24

Community Sponsor

Hi Paul,

First of all I would like to say thank you for responding to our first post. We are still a relatively new company.

The website you are referring to is indeed our site.

I want to go ahead and address some of the other concerns that have appeared in this thread. WebBoatWatch always sends a notification based on movement parameters that are preset, it can be turned off when the user is on the boat. We provide these notifications through email, text and web logs.
No confusing wiring to deal with, it is basically plug and play. Due to the nature of the notification transmission, our batteries can last up to a year with normal usage. If the user would prefer a wired unit the device is already constructed with the necessary electronic equipment. We also offer 8 channels for wireless sensors that are self-powered and require no permanent modifications to the boat to be installed.

In reference to your questions Paul, we are working on our own version of Geo-Fencing that will be set by the user and will report to the parameters that they set from their point of origin.

We do not have a monitoring center that the notifications are reported to and this is meant to keep the costs down for you, the user. The notifications can be reported on both Facebook and Twitter and can also be accessed from the web by anyone with the proper login information.

I will private message you the pricing information.

Please let me know of any additional questions you may have.

Thank you,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Is this your website Eric? XPONDR-Inner2

Still some shortcomings, for me, is there appears to be no 'unauthorized movement' out of a 'fenced in area' area like HUG.

Also there is no monitoring center. The owner gets the notification via email or cell? I would prefer that a monitoring center contact the appropriate law enforcement or response contact, and not have to let it rely on the owner to track them down.

I don't see anything about price on the website as well.

I think it would be more helpful, if you are going to plug your product, to engage in the discussion and explain why it is superior to other products. and not hide the price of the product and the service price.

This is all assuming the website above is yours.
Old 29-05-2013, 08:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebBoatWatch View Post
Hi Paul,

First of all I would like to say thank you for responding to our first post. We are still a relatively new company.

The website you are referring to is indeed our site.

I want to go ahead and address some of the other concerns that have appeared in this thread. WebBoatWatch always sends a notification based on movement parameters that are preset, it can be turned off when the user is on the boat. We provide these notifications through email, text and web logs.
No confusing wiring to deal with, it is basically plug and play. Due to the nature of the notification transmission, our batteries can last up to a year with normal usage. If the user would prefer a wired unit the device is already constructed with the necessary electronic equipment. We also offer 8 channels for wireless sensors that are self-powered and require no permanent modifications to the boat to be installed.

In reference to your questions Paul, we are working on our own version of Geo-Fencing that will be set by the user and will report to the parameters that they set from their point of origin.

We do not have a monitoring center that the notifications are reported to and this is meant to keep the costs down for you, the user. The notifications can be reported on both Facebook and Twitter and can also be accessed from the web by anyone with the proper login information.

I will private message you the pricing information.

Please let me know of any additional questions you may have.

Thank you,

Eric
Thanks I replied privately as well

The key feature I want (other owners may vary) is the unauthorized movement and call center.

What am I going to do, 3am my boat is moved. I won't know til the morning when i check my phone. Even if I did get the alert. what am I going to do? I am an hour away from my boat, its on a mooring, i can't get to it even if i were there (the launch isnt running 7x24). i don't have the harbormasters # handy (unsure what they would do anyway if i woke them), maybe call the USCG? I would rather leave that up to a call center to handle who to call and when.

It seems like a good reliable system, it is just missing the key features I want.
Old 29-05-2013, 08:33   #26

Community Sponsor

Thank you for your post.

From what I gathered Geo-Fencing is important to most boat owners who consider any type of monitoring. We are currently working on our own version and will post it on our site once it is completed.

The call center is one aspect that may be addressed in the future. In certain situations it may be a comfort for the boat owner.

We do want our system to be suitable for the majority of users.

Paul, have you ever had the call center call you?

Thanks

Quote:
Thanks I replied privately as well

The key feature I want (other owners may vary) is the unauthorized movement and call center.

What am I going to do, 3am my boat is moved. I won't know til the morning when i check my phone. Even if I did get the alert. what am I going to do? I am an hour away from my boat, its on a mooring, i can't get to it even if i were there (the launch isnt running 7x24). i don't have the harbormasters # handy (unsure what they would do anyway if i woke them), maybe call the USCG? I would rather leave that up to a call center to handle who to call and when.

It seems like a good reliable system, it is just missing the key features I want.
Old 29-05-2013, 08:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebBoatWatch View Post
Thank you for your post.

From what I gathered Geo-Fencing is important to most boat owners who consider any type of monitoring. We are currently working on our own version and will post it on our site once it is completed.

The call center is one aspect that may be addressed in the future. In certain situations it may be a comfort for the boat owner.

We do want our system to be suitable for the majority of users.

Paul, have you ever had the call center call you?

Thanks
I dont have HUG now, so I have never had them contact me. SPOT's customer service has been great (to me) the few times i have called.

it is similar to a home alarm. I have had my monitoring center call me more than a few times for different reasons. I like that piece of mind. If I am going to have a security subscription, I would like a call center there to handle the calls as the first line of defense.

Not having a call center for a monitoring service, to me, is like getting rid of 911 and having you contact the fire, police, ambulance, etc directly.
Old 29-05-2013, 09:13   #28

Community Sponsor

I understand your concern and I can see the monitoring centers usability in certain circumstances.

Thanks Paul!

Quote:
I dont have HUG now, so I have never had them contact me. SPOT's customer service has been great (to me) the few times i have called.

it is similar to a home alarm. I have had my monitoring center call me more than a few times for different reasons. I like that piece of mind. If I am going to have a security subscription, I would like a call center there to handle the calls as the first line of defense.

Not having a call center for a monitoring service, to me, is like getting rid of 911 and having you contact the fire, police, ambulance, etc directly.
Old 30-05-2013, 22:13   #29

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

I have a spot hug, but tracking stop after a while , sometimes 1 hour , sometimes 2 hours later.

Is there any reason and solution that you know ?
meteonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 06:58   #30

Community Sponsor

I have seen the Spot Hug system in use before but I do not know if it has a delay built in. WebBoatWatch reports in every 1/2 hour if you have moved more than 1000 ft. and those parameters are constant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteonal View Post
I have a spot hug, but tracking stop after a while , sometimes 1 hour , sometimes 2 hours later.

Is there any reason and solution that you know ?