Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2023, 17:33   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Options for VHF at the helm

On my Tashiba-31 I have a B&G V50 VHF radio installed at the chart table in the cabin. I also have a handheld VHF radio I use at the helm. I'm thinking that I would have much better reception if I was able to have a radio at the helm that used the VHF antenna installed on top of the mast.

I don't really want to move the existing VHF from the cabin - and B&G doesn't seem to offer an extension for the mic. Anyone have a suggestion on possible options? Is it possible to have 2 VHF radios connected to a single antenna?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 18:17   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Options for VHF at the helm

Easiest way is to buy a radio that does have a remote mic. Then sell the B&G. Actually I use my hand held most of the time. I'm talking mostly to bridge and lock tenders and other vessels making passing agreements. Rarely more than a mile or so away and no need for the big radio and tall antenna for that.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 19:03   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
B&G doesn't seem to offer an extension for the mic. Anyone have a suggestion on possible options?
The B&G V50, briefly on the market and now discontinued, did have a wireless remote handset available. They still show up on ebay and from various other sources.

Quote:
Is it possible to have 2 VHF radios connected to a single antenna?
In general, no, though there are various solutions that allow the antenna to be switched between two radios.

I have a VHF at the nav station and a remote mic at the helm and would characterize this as being more or less the standard solution to the problem. It is also possible to have the VHF at the helm -- either in a navpod or installed in the bulkhead next to the companionway or to the side somewhere. It is also possible to have a blind or headless radio at the helm where the transceiver has no display and the mic controls do everything.

Real world, it's really rare to want to talk on the VHF to a station that is more than a few miles away. It's just not that useful. The workaday conversations with bridges and locks and passing boats and marinas all take place at a few miles or less. For emergencies the USCG and similar agencies worldwide have fantastic facilities so in most cases you can achieve communications with a modest setup.

In that light you can have a lower antenna -- on the bimini, on a pole, on a 4' extension on the taffrail -- and use that, and 99% of the time that will be all you need. Sure an antenna at the top of the mast has the potential to perform better (good antenna properly installed with the proper feedline) but most of the time it just doesn't matter.

So your choices are:
1) Find someone selling a wireless handset for your V50
2) Replace the V50 with a radio that supports a wired remote mic
3) Install a second radio and use that in the pit, using an antenna on the taffrail or something
Old 07-08-2023, 11:20   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Standard Horizon VHF have full function remote mics. My set allows for 3 mics the main radio and 2 remotes. Nav st., Helm, berth, they also operate as intercoms.

Wired. I was advised against wireless mics as well.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:29   #5

Boat: Hunter 38

Recommend you stay away from wireless hand mics. Get a wired one. I have the Standard Horizon with the wireless mic, after having abysmal performance from it I called SH twice and tech support both times admitted their advertising matierial is a straight up LIE with respect to range. I can't get reliable performance from 6 feet away line of sight.

A friend has a different brand wireless on his boat with the same issue
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:34   #6

Boat: Privilege 435

We have a standard horizon with remote mic. It was a big upgrade. Wired through the steering pedestal right next to the wheel. Definitely wouldn’t go back to handheld.

Only thing to note is that you really can’t use it if wind past maybe 12ish kts is not shielded from it. You’ll still have to suck inside to be heard well. It doesn’t noise cancel wind. Not sure if any do.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:44   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I second the comments about wireless mics. The sound quality is poor and there's a delay before they connect for transmission. A wired remote mic is better. Better still is a proper fixed mount radio. Wind noise is always going to be a problem in an open cockpit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, vhf