Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 11:05   #796

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: OpenPlotter project

Hi Sailoog & rgleason,

I have made a pull request to opencpn for my changes to the dashboard_pi.cpp, dial.cpp and instrument.cpp.

thanks
Nick_Currawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 22:04   #797

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Nick_c thankyou for the dashboard contribution. Hope you troubles are resolved.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:39   #798

Boat: none yet

Hi Sailoog,

Would it be possible to incorporate this NAVTEX code in to your work, here's the link from youtube. Low-Cost NAVTEX Receiver https://youtu.be/SwL_ZQ_iBIM

He's released the code, http://fmode.de/NavTex_Receiver_by_kutt.txt

So hopefully asking permission to use the code for your work should be ok. The hardware needs to be built, I've asked if he could write a simple tutorial for the building of the NAVTEX Receiver.

It would be nice if there's a NAVTEX window, that could be drag and resized, displaying NAVTEX messages.

Thanks
Rich UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 11:09   #799

Hi Sailoog,

Would it be possible to incorporate this NAVTEX code in to your work, here's the link from youtube. Low-Cost NAVTEX Receiver https://youtu.be/SwL_ZQ_iBIM

So hopefully asking permission to use the code for your work should be ok. The hardware needs to be built, I've asked if he could write a simple tutorial for the building of the NAVTEX Receiver.

It would be nice if there's a NAVTEX window, that could be drag and resized, displaying NAVTEX messages.

Thanks
Old 28-05-2016, 03:05   #800

Keyboard & Mouse

Could someone recommend a Pi3 / openplotter compatible wireless keyboard and mouse please? Should I go Bluetooth or WiFi?

Thanks
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 03:12   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich UK View Post
Hi Sailoog,

Thanks
You can make a Navtex-receiver even cheaper with just a SDR, and let the software do the decoding.
Alekoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 03:15   #802
Marine Service Provider

Re: Keyboard & Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
Could someone recommend a Pi3 / openplotter compatible wireless keyboard and mouse please? Should I go Bluetooth or WiFi?

Thanks
95% of the time after the system is installed and operational, you will only use the mouse. I have seen hundred's of fishing boats using the Logitech cordless marble trackball, and the reason is simple: you do not have to move the mouse when operating, you only scroll the ball on the mouse. Very convenient with limited space on-board a vessel. Except for that recommendation, I would try to find a keyboard that has native F1 to F12 function keys that can be handy to use with opencpn. Nowadays, it has been more and more usual to use the F1 to F12 keys for multimedia functions and you will have to press shift to get access to the F1 to F12 functions, not so convenient when it's a little choppy waves and you try to operate your navigation pc.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 03:17   #803
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekoy View Post
You can make a Navtex-receiver even cheaper with just a SDR, and let the software do the decoding.
Is there a cheap sdr which will receive down to 518Khz? Would be great if there is, then wfax would be with reach as well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 05:27   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Is there a cheap sdr which will receive down to 518Khz? Would be great if there is, then wfax would be with reach as well.

I've been looking can't find one that covers that frequency of 518Khz
Old 29-05-2016, 05:47   #805

Yeah, It turns out that the video I found and based my response on used a $300 SDR.. so not cheap at all...
theoretically if you had a radio that you could tune to the correct frequenzy and fed the audio into a computer, it could decode the data, but that way, the arduino solution mentioned earlier would be better
Old 29-05-2016, 05:58   #806

Boat: Pearson 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
It appears that your best bet is to use an up converter.

https://www.itead.cc/spyverter.html?acc=cfcd208495d565ef66e7dff9f98764d a
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 07:28   #807
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekoy View Post
Yeah, It turns out that the video I found and based my response on used a $300 SDR.. so not cheap at all...
theoretically if you had a radio that you could tune to the correct frequenzy and fed the audio into a computer, it could decode the data, but that way, the arduino solution mentioned earlier would be better
Degen 1103's are excellent ssb receivers, not that pricey. Then fldigi running on the Pi will decode. Though I use the ham radio I have onboard. Downside is you need to remember to turn in on and run fldigi to receive, an upside is you can cut and paste lat and long of nav warnings etc from the messages straight into opencpn waypoints.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:55   #808

Hi Guys,

I have been thinking about the CAN interface, could it work with a wifi version of a obdii device?
To save having to run more cables through the boat.

My idea goes like this,

Connecting the obdii device (elm327 wifi) to the N2k (can bus) only using the can high/low pins and power pins.
Inputting/outputting the wifi signal into openplotter.

I can't anything about it being bi-directional.

Link to cheap device,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...l_8w12qtniqs_b

Any ideas for or am I missing something?

Ps. I have fixed my rpi, problem with .Xauthority, deleted and recreated resolved the issue.

Thanks
Old 29-05-2016, 15:05   #809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Currawong View Post
Hi Guys,
onnecting the obdii device (elm327 wifi) to the N2k (can bus) only using the can high/low pins and power pins.
Inputting/outputting the wifi signal into openplotter.
The ELM327 does not support N2k.
Old 30-05-2016, 01:19   #810

Hi Alekoy,

Maybe I am getting my terminlogy wrong, from the Raymarine manual for my C-series plotter, it implies than you can connect any N2K device straight to my SeatalkNG network as a spur device. Which is the way I was/am going to connect the can-usb adapter which Openplotter is referring to.

I guess my underlying question is, is there a difference between the can-usb adapter and the ELM327 on the "can" side and can openplotter handle the output of it? Also is the ELM327-wifi a bi-directional device?

Thanks