Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 17:15   #1

Boat: Norseman 447
Thumbs down Icom DSC VHF

I recently installed a Icom M422 DSC VHF and hooked up gps input to our simrad CE32 plotter, but no joy with position on VHF, Further research led me to Discover that VHF is quite specific as to Version of NMEA that it will read and that version just happens to be used by Garmin, who I think are tied in with Icom, pisses me off that what is a safety feature should be so limited in its interface capabilities,
Anybody else had this problem?
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 17:50   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I have connected Icom VHF radios to Garmin, Raymarine, Lowrance and several other GPS set ups with no problem whatsoever. NMEA 0183 is a standard used by just about everyone so not sure what problem you are having. If you are trying to connect an NMEA 2000 which is something newer and not compatible with all devices than that is a different matter.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 18:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just looked at the on-line manual for the Icom M422 (http://www.icomamerica.com/downloads...422_manual.pdf), and they say it accepts NMEA0183 "RMC", "GGA", "GNS", "GLL" as input. These are hardly Garmin proprietary, and just about every chartplotter or GPS I've seen (including Garmin GPS) can output an "RMC" sentence.

Since I'm bored, I also looked at the CE32 manual (http://cs.simradyachting.com/Index.a...y=Download,230), and it will output NMEA0183 "RMC". I think you've got something mis-configured, or mis-connected.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 18:54   #4

NMEA 0183 has quite a few versions,up to over v3.0, Icom is quite fussy as to which ones it reads, I understand interface was developed using Garmin V3.01 and unless NMEA talker sends datain identical format VHF wont recognize it.
Has anyone connected ICOM m4422 with simrad CE32?
radio works fine with Garmin GP72 handheld but dont wont to run that all the time just to keep radio happy
Old 03-08-2007, 19:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Icom spec says NMEA0183 ver 2.0 or 3.01, and the Simrad spec says NMEA0183 ver 2.0 -- this shouldn't be the problem. The Simrad unit can be programmed to output other formats than NMEA 0183, so could this be your problem? Look at page 85 of the Simrad spec I referenced (7.1.1 Interface Setup).

No, I haven't tried any of this myself with these two units, but this is so commonly done, and the specs indicate that it should be possible, so I have to believe you've got some wires crossed, or the chartplotter set for some incompatible output.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 20:18   #6

Nothing like a rainy sunday to sort out problems.
We are all go now, what was happening was Iwas taking NMEA feed from NMEA out on AP20 autopilot which was replacing normal nmea data stream prefix (GP) with (AP) so yes required streams were there and Maxsea has no problem with different prefix, Icom VHF did so now Radio has its pick up direct from plotter and its happy and Maxsea can continue to talk to plotter through autopilot, talk a bit of playing around with Hyperterminal to figure it all out
Old 18-08-2007, 06:49   #7

Boat: 1985 Gozzard Pilothouse 36
I have had the same problem. I started out with an Icom m-127 VHF with DSC# programed by the factory. Absolutely "NO JOY" ( All the instruments Ray marine) Got Hooked up with an Icom rep. at the boat show">Annapolis Boat show. He said "I experienced this problem before, with the same set up" "We will resolve this problem by selling you (Deeply discounted) a new Icom 602 VHF." "I know that will solve the problem!"

What I recieved was a factory reconditioned 602 (OK with me if it works)
Hooked it up according to the Manual. Same result. I am at a loss.
Boko~maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:33   #8

If you have gps hooked up to a computers as well have alook at datastreams using Hyperterminal and see what sentences are being sent, because i was taking my feed initially from nmea out on autopilot I di8dnt realize it was changing NMEA sentence prefix from GP to AP which radio didnt like although Maxsea didnt have a problem, when I tapped into data out pins on GPS for feed it was still GP prefix and now radio is Happy and so am I
Old 18-08-2007, 15:43   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Boko, If you are trying to connect to a Raymarine chartplotter you need to connect the radio to the chartplotter direct using the NMEA cable from the back of the Raymarine display. The NMEA out on that cable hooks to the MNEA in on the radio and the other wire from the radio hooks to the sheild of the Raymarine cable. There are also two speaker wires additionally on some of those units so don't get them confused since they are not marked.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, icom