Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 18:42   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Garmin InReach questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
Yeah I will give it a go.

I wonder if there would be scope to create a weather app for this device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It doesn't do apps. You can get the texts (weather or other) on a cell phone or tablet via BlueTooth, but it's within the InReach app. Not sure if other apps have access to them. If so, then an app to interpret and display the wx info would probably have some real value to users.
Looks like there are some APIs, but I havent looked at them:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...api/147452-faq
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:30   #62

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Sweet! App developers, get coding!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:12   #63

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Unfortunately it looks like this only enables programming between an internet connected computer and the Delorme servers handling inReach messages ... there is no provision for developing apps for the handset itself ... and it's only available for corporate/professional accounts.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 15:12   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Unfortunately it looks like this only enables programming between an internet connected computer and the Delorme servers handling inReach messages ... there is no provision for developing apps for the handset itself ... and it's only available for corporate/professional accounts.
Too bad. Would be nice if they would open it up a bit, maybe not running on the device, but at least publish the API used by their Earthmate app. Then developers could at least build Android apps which talked to the InReach.
Old 12-06-2018, 15:59   #65

Boat: Beneteau First42

Yeah not quite advance enough. IridiumGo seems to be the best option at the moment but still paying $$$
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:04   #66

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
We sailed from TCI to PR in the past week, and subscribed to OCENS wx (very affordable for full-timers) for the first time just before our passage. I must say it was great to receive unlimited information for specific areas. No pretty pictures, but the Mk I brain does a reasonable job of doing this itself. If not, a pencil and paper can help. Having up-to-date info was great to plan when to tack.

We feel that the InReach + OCENS is a pretty good combination for budget-conscious long-term cruisers.

Of course an app that automagically sends requests and assembles it in graphic form, hmmm, that would be neat. But that might spam up the OCENS servers enough for them to reconsider their model.

For now, it affordably works for us and offshore wx.
We did inreach with the ocens subscription for four months in 2016. Texas to Bahamas and back, for four months. Very happy with the service. Will be doing it again in 2019.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:15   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
Yeah not quite advance enough. IridiumGo seems to be the best option at the moment but still paying $$$
IridiumGo is a cool option, but more spendy than InReach. I looked at renting one for a delivery...DAMN...cheaper to buy one!
Old 12-06-2018, 21:08   #68

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm not a tech guy so really don't know what's possible and what's not.

It would be nice if the inreach would give you a pay as go grib option. I realise this isn't it's market but I find the oceans spot forecasts abit limiting. It would be cool if you could use it exactly the way it is now but for those occasions where a grib would be better you'd have that option.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:29   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'm not a tech guy so really don't know what's possible and what's not.

It would be nice if the inreach would give you a pay as go grib option. I realise this isn't it's market but I find the oceans spot forecasts abit limiting. It would be cool if you could use it exactly the way it is now but for those occasions where a grib would be better you'd have that option.
InReach is a text messaging only device, it has no ability to transfer files. You could download GRIBs via an IridiumGo or Satt Phone with data cable.
Old 15-06-2018, 08:01   #70

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Yes, it's a tracker and text messinger. Ours has been in constant use for more than three years now and still going strong. We haven't found its spot weather forecasts really useful on oceans. You do need some spatial development info like you get from gribs and weather faxes. I would have both Inreach an Iridium Go, if I could afford that.

It is possible to download your tracking info from Inreach/Garmin server and feed into your web page or any other applicaton you may have. Not depending what type of contract you have.
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:46   #71

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
You do need some spatial development info like you get from gribs and weather faxes. I would have both Inreach an Iridium Go, if I could afford that.

Remember that the only difference between spot forecasts and a grib is that the grib contains an integration of many spot forecasts.

What is nice about the OCENS forecasts (see post #60), is that it is affordable, and you can approximate a grib by requesting your own spot forecasts.

Agree about having a grib would be great if more affordable.

Good winds and wx!
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 13:26   #72

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Remember that the only difference between spot forecasts and a grib is that the grib contains an integration of many spot forecasts.

What is nice about the OCENS forecasts (see post #60), is that it is affordable, and you can approximate a grib by requesting your own spot forecasts.

Agree about having a grib would be great if more affordable.

Good winds and wx!

I can't figure out what OCENS is giving you, based on the scant info in your posts. The OCENS web site isn't much help either. Can you explain your setup, how it works and what info it provides?

Thanks.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 13:38   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I can't figure out what OCENS is giving you, based on the scant info in your posts. The OCENS web site isn't much help either. Can you explain your setup, how it works and what info it provides?
Thanks.

Explorer+

And

Spotcast Extreme Weather. $100/yr + $20 activation. You can make unlimited requests for any lat/long, and receive each forecast in 5-8 texts per lat/long.

As most passages start and end with internet access, this provides a fairly simple, and cost-effective way to keep track of any changes enroute.

No graphics, but, that’s what our brains can be used for! [emoji3]

HTH
Steve
Old 16-06-2018, 07:49   #74

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Explorer+

And

Spotcast Extreme Weather. $100/yr + $20 activation. You can make unlimited requests for any lat/long, and receive each forecast in 5-8 texts per lat/long.

As most passages start and end with internet access, this provides a fairly simple, and cost-effective way to keep track of any changes enroute.

No graphics, but, that’s what our brains can be used for! [emoji3]

HTH
Steve
That's a lot of texts. You probably would like to have an unlimited plan for you Inreach then. That will add to the total cost too. Also, entering a number of lat/lon into Inreach to get any spatial information is quite a bit of work. Did try that but didn't find it practical.
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:06   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
That's a lot of texts. You probably would like to have an unlimited plan for you Inreach then. That will add to the total cost too. Also, entering a number of lat/lon into Inreach to get any spatial information is quite a bit of work. Did try that but didn't find it practical.

Yes, you’re right. We do subscribe to the InReach unlimited plan - we have a daughter who insisted on being able to contact us anywhere, and fortunately PREFERS texts to voice, so that decision was already made.

Here’s how I get around the tedium of entering all those lat/longs:

Before leaving on a passage, sit down with a plotter, and choose a grid of lat/longs you might/will be interested in. Capture a screenshot of the area you are interested in, and mark it so you know at a glance which lat/longs on your list go where. It is much less work at anchor than it sounds.

At sea, simply copy and paste. You can get 24, 48 or 72 hr forecasts. We tend to always request the 72. You only need to enter the coordinates, no other text is needed. You do need to pay attention, as the reports do not include the lat/long. So I do one at a time.

For us, it is way more affordable than a satphone, but YMMV. If I had the budget, I would go with a high speed satellite connection.

We also have friends on standby when we are at sea, who are happy to provide answers to specific requests, also via the InReach, very much appreciated. One of them is a sailor on this forum, so he provides knowledgeable input without prompting, which is fantastic.

Tags
garmin