Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2018, 06:44   #46

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Garmin InReach questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Interesting link on comparing both versions
https://andrewskurka.com/2017/previe...h-se-explorer/
Good link, but to me the biggest difference is in the next-to-last paragraph:

"...The inReach SE+ has basic features: a feature-less grid map, and the ability to import and create waypoints, routes, and breadcrumbs. It’s like an old-school GPS unit, before they were spec’d with decent screens and maps."

In other words, the important difference is the moving-mode map (chart) capability of the Explorer. I'd see that as well worth it for hiking or other shoreside traveling.

But underway, the InReach lives below decks and unseen anyway. It's plugged into a USB port so it's always fully charged in an emergency. If I need a hand-held chart, there are several apps on each cell phone, tablet and laptop on board. Having one on the InReach would be of little value.

The BlueTooth connection has been rock solid for us, using Android devices. Sending and receiving text message via the phone is great.

Garmin also has a good write-up on the differences ("Which inReach Is Right for You?") near the bottom of this page.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 17:48   #47

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
A few things...

The InReach is NOT a phone. Text only.

Why the Explorer and not the SE? Do you really need a moving map mode? We never really look at ours underway, just use it via BlueTooth from a cell phone (which of course can have a charting app, too.) Writing text messages on a cell phone is much easier than trying to do it on the InReach.

Texting from one InReach to another will actually be slower than from InReach to a normal cell phone. Two devices to sync up with a passing satellite, rather than one.
CapTom
I picked up an Explorer+ at West Marine for the $379 special but after re reading your post feel like taking it back and change it for the SE+ version,only $329.
My only doubt is,when texting on your SE,does the text include location,will like my daughter know where I am.so she can track my position>
and the SE will get weather?
thank you
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 18:02   #48

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Another question: Will the InReach function as an anchor alarm while off the boat? In other words, can it send a text to your cell phone if the boat moves out of a pre-defined circle?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 21:11   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Another question: Will the InReach function as an anchor alarm while off the boat? In other words, can it send a text to your cell phone if the boat moves out of a pre-defined circle?
No, but there are apps that will, like MAW (My Anchor Watch)...will send email and/or SMS.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 03:37   #50

Quote:
CapTom
I picked up an Explorer+ at West Marine for the $379 special but after re reading your post feel like taking it back and change it for the SE+ version,only $329.
My only doubt is,when texting on your SE,does the text include location,will like my daughter know where I am.so she can track my position>
and the SE will get weather?
thank you
David
Yes, you can opt to have the text include a location, and I think, a link to the map. Note that with the new EU privacy rules, this is an opt-in option. You have to go to the web site (garmin.inreach.com) and allow this.

The weather options are basically a service which sends you text. So it should work fine.

Again, if you don't need moving-map mode, the SE would be sufficient. That's about the only benefit to the Explorer. But if you ever think you might need it, the difference in price may be worth it to you.
Old 19-05-2018, 05:03   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A friend of mine got one of the new Garmin Explorers and I played with it a bit. The choice of charts to download is limited and the display is small. I did not find that functionality very useful and decided not to upgrade. The old Delorme InReach, gives me a basic chart plotter functionality (way points, routes, tracks, but no charts) which is good enough for basic/emergency nav.

There is a new mini-Inreach which replaces the older Delorme style product line. Worth looking at I think.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 16:12   #52

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Hodges Marine has the SE+ for $299, free shipping.
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Garmin-...jqeniramsegdoh

With West Marine's new price matching policy, they will probably match this price.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 17:23   #53

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thanks Jerry
nothing tastes sweeter
found another

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-i...-SE-P5139.aspx
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 07:33   #54

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
thanks Jerry
nothing tastes sweeter
found another

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-i...-SE-P5139.aspx
I have purchased from gpsstore.com. Good service.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 14:24   #55

I found the maps useful on a recent pacific crossing...each message I received from other inReach users caused their bearing and location to show their exact location. Very convenient.

Left it on the nav station and used ipad to text...(lots of texts at 3 am watch lol.

Just the SOS function alone is worth the cost....a little less impersonal as compared to my epirb.

I've had it for about a year...put it on the $3/month suspend plan when not using it.

Many of my friends are using inReach and Iridium Go at the same time. Staying in touch gets very important in the middle of no where.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 00:55   #56

Boat: Beneteau First42

Im very interested in the Garmin Inreach Mini.
Are they suitable for tracking on a yacht?

Weather forecasts any good on them?

Gareth
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:52   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
Im very interested in the Garmin Inreach Mini.
Are they suitable for tracking on a yacht?

Weather forecasts any good on them?
The mini has a shorter battery life, but my advice is to just leave it plugged in (via USB) all the time anyway. That way, it's at 100% if you ever really need the distress comms.

And yes, tracking works great; you can leave bread crumbs at 10-minute intervals.

I haven't tried them, but have heard very good things about the weather texts since Garmin has taken over. Remember it's just a text, nothing fancy.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:24   #58

Boat: Beneteau First42

Yeah I will give it a go.

I wonder if there would be scope to create a weather app for this device.
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 16:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
I wonder if there would be scope to create a weather app for this device.
It doesn't do apps. You can get the texts (weather or other) on a cell phone or tablet via BlueTooth, but it's within the InReach app. Not sure if other apps have access to them. If so, then an app to interpret and display the wx info would probably have some real value to users.
Old 10-06-2018, 18:38   #60

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Not sure if other apps have access to them. If so, then an app to interpret and display the wx info would probably have some real value to users.

We sailed from TCI to PR in the past week, and subscribed to OCENS wx (very affordable for full-timers) for the first time just before our passage. I must say it was great to receive unlimited information for specific areas. No pretty pictures, but the Mk I brain does a reasonable job of doing this itself. If not, a pencil and paper can help. Having up-to-date info was great to plan when to tack.

We feel that the InReach + OCENS is a pretty good combination for budget-conscious long-term cruisers.

Of course an app that automagically sends requests and assembles it in graphic form, hmmm, that would be neat. But that might spam up the OCENS servers enough for them to reconsider their model.

For now, it affordably works for us and offshore wx.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin