Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2017, 15:41   #16

Re: Furuno MFD8/12 - Replace HDD with SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Pretty steep price, but it is what it is.

Did you get the other GPU working? Are these GPU boards made by Furuno or could you possibly source them elsewhere (perhaps used on flea-bay)?

Greg
On principle alone, I object to the price and will work hard to find an alternative. I have ordered a couple replacement drives, one identical to the OEM, the other and IDE SSD. The more I think about it, the more confident I am that I will be able to clone one of my other drives. (The fact that Furuno will sell the replacement drive without knowing my unit's serial number is strong evidence that the encryption is not machine specific.) I suspect the HDD failed before the video did (I kept using the unit, I just couldn't display from it).

Yes, I repaired one of the video (GPU) cards and expect to be able to repair the other. It was not made by Furuno but is no longer manufactured and none available on the internet, as far as I can find. Even so, I don't expect to need one, but if I do, I think I figured out how to replace without having a driver problem. .

Old 02-10-2017, 17:02   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I'm impressed with your efforts.

As for the price, it seems it is part of the direction high tech has taken. Spend $800 for a smart phone and find the network never updates the OS, the manufacturer updates the OS at most for 2 years (but it won't be available for phones bought from the network operator), and you risk destroying it to change the battery. They will happily sell you a new one every two years - if they can get away with it. When I spend $4,000 for a navigation system I don't expect to replace it every 5 years either. Or get hosed on repair costs. I feel your pain

I suppose you have already worked it out, but you should clone the new HDD to the SSD before you do anything else. That way if the fresh drive is tied to specific hardware during the initial run you will still have the ability to create new SSDs for the other machines. Come to think of it you would be doing some folks a favor if you made available the image of the fresh drive - then others could repair their boxes with SSDs and avoid the $835 extortion payment. How large a drive are you getting? If it is 80GB or 120GB I would be interested in the image file - my cloned SSD has the capacity but there is no way to expand the encrypted 40GB content. (I inferred from your comments that Furuno is selling you the drive for your installation - is that correct?)

If you do need to chase down a new GPU card I think one approach is to find models of computers that shipped with it originally, then look for those on flea-bay. Otherwise I suspect that the card would be considered to be so obsolete as to not have a market. I wouldn't be optimistic about installing a newer design as I think it would be beyond our abilities to put a newer driver into the WinCE firmware image.

Greg

Old 07-10-2017, 13:28   #18

Quote:
I'm impressed with your efforts.

I suppose you have already worked it out, but you should clone the new HDD to the SSD before you do anything else. That way if the fresh drive is tied to specific hardware during the initial run you will still have the ability to create new SSDs for the other machines. Come to think of it you would be doing some folks a favor if you made available the image of the fresh drive - then others could repair their boxes with SSDs and avoid the $835 extortion payment. How large a drive are you getting? If it is 80GB or 120GB I would be interested in the image file - my cloned SSD has the capacity but there is no way to expand the encrypted 40GB content. (I inferred from your comments that Furuno is selling you the drive for your installation - is that correct?)

If you do need to chase down a new GPU card I think one approach is to find models of computers that shipped with it originally, then look for those on flea-bay. Otherwise I suspect that the card would be considered to be so obsolete as to not have a market. I wouldn't be optimistic about installing a newer design as I think it would be beyond our abilities to put a newer driver into the WinCE firmware image.

Greg
I am not sure I understand your suggestion, or reference to fresh drive. I took a brand new blank drive and cloned one of my two good NN3D black box drives to it. I then installed that newly cloned drive into the bad NN3D black box. Everything works, problem solved.

Also, I was able to replace my second video card with a similar (PCI with DVI out) graphics card and that works fine. So, all problems solved.

Thanks for your insights and inspiration.
Old 07-10-2017, 14:33   #19

I'm glad to hear you solved your problem. I'm particularly impressed with your GPU efforts - not something I think the MFD8/12 would benefit from.

I perhaps misunderstood. I thought you had ordered a hard drive from Furuno. In that case I would be interested in the image from it (no charts, or basic charts) in an 80GB or 120GB size so I could enlarge the usable space in my 120GB SSD (now formatted to 40GB). Anyway, if you have a drive that doesn't have purchased charts on it I would be interested if you could provide an image. Also, if anyone needs an image I could make one but it would only be in a 40GB size. At least that would allow owners to get an MFD back in use without the $835 cost.

Greg
Old 07-10-2017, 14:47   #20

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you solved your problem. I'm particularly impressed with your GPU efforts - not something I think the MFD8/12 would benefit from.

I perhaps misunderstood. I thought you had ordered a hard drive from Furuno. In that case I would be interested in the image from it (no charts, or basic charts) in an 80GB or 120GB size so I could enlarge the usable space in my 120GB SSD (now formatted to 40GB). Anyway, if you have a drive that doesn't have purchased charts on it I would be interested if you could provide an image. Also, if anyone needs an image I could make one but it would only be in a 40GB size. At least that would allow owners to get an MFD back in use without the $835 cost.

Greg
I was put off (putting it mildly) by what I regarded as extortionistic pricing and refused to buy a replacement drive. (The truth is, I never needed 3 NN3D drives to achieve my objective, as each machine is capable of driving two separate displays, but that is not the way it was explained to me at the time, so I purchased 3 units to have 4 separate displays).

Rather than paying $835 for a <$100 drive, which contains no software that I haven't already paid for, I cloned one of my others, as it appears to be identical to the "bad" drive -- any encryption is common at least to my NN3D network. I haven't thought to check whether purchased charts are still accessible, although as I understand it, the license should be good for all NN3D boxes on the same network. In any event, since my "new" drive, being a clone of a 40GB drive, is a logical 40GB drive, even though it is an 80GB physical drive, I don't think it is of any use to you, right?
Old 07-10-2017, 16:48   #21

Sadly you're right - it is of no use. But it does give me an idea: a friend has a newer MFD12 with an 80GB HDD, so the next time I see him (in a few months - he's overseas now) I will propose installing an SSD in his system. He can buy the SSD, I'll do the labor and make a clone of his HDD for myself. He has no purchased charts yet so that is not an issue. Then I can post a link to the image for those who need to repair their MFDs. Everyone wins (except Furuno, but the price for the antique HDD pretty much eliminates any sympathy in that direction).

Greg

Tags
furuno

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: