Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 13:20   #46

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Furuno MFD8/12 - Replace HDD with SSD

Thanks for that - you are most welcome. I'm happy to know that the work I did is benefiting more than just myself.

BTW these MFDs are closer to military grade than you might realize. They are used on USCG launches and SEAL team boats. I have been told that the ones for the SEALs shipped with SSDs from the beginning, and I expect there was different firmware to support military grids and such, So definitely "almost military grade"!

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 13:43   #47

I can't believe what I am reading. I have a BB that is having issues booting and I have wanted to replace my HDD with a SSD but I didn't think it was possible. You guys have given me new hope! I could definitely use the 80G image if that would be possible. Please let me know what I can do to obtain a copy.

Thank you
kahekili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:26   #48

It appears that the BB version is different from the MFD8/MFD12 versions, as you will note from the preceding posts. The HDD apparently is not encrypted, and it may be that parts (or even all) of the OS are installed on it, as opposed to the separate flash memory in the MFD8/MFD12. I suggest you contact TunaTango and see if he could provide you with an 80GB image from his system. It is easy enough to burn a clone onto a 128GB micro SDcard (use Macrium Reflect Free to create a byte-by-byte clone file on the SDcard instead of cloning to the flash drive); 128GB SDcards are running around $20 (less for off-brands). These little cards are easy to mail - just tape to a sheet of paper, fold and put in an envelope. Also, you might try re-installing the OS - v.2.13 installers are available.

Greg
Old 23-03-2021, 17:28   #49

Boat: Glacier Bay 2680

I wanted to thank CarinaPDX for helping me with my HD issues in a MFD12. Using the advice in this thread and a clone from a working 80GB drive, I was able to change out my drive and install a new SSD drive (kingspec 128 GB from Amazon) and all is working well. What I learned from this experience is: 1. Keep current backups of your waypoints and routes. I was shocked how long it had been. 2. The MFD12 is really easy to work on if you are comfortable with basic electronic and PC assembly. and 3. Look very closely at the ribbon cables inside your unit once open. There is one near the hard drive that handles the display and it is really easy to dislodge. In my case, I am fairly certain that this cable had actually become dislodged in service just enough to cause a failure that was intermittent and independent of my drive. I got lucky and was able to extract data from my original drive (see lesson 1). If you are having problems with your unit, seriously consider a DIY fix, at least to verify that the internal connections are still good. Thank you again Greg!
ploughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:59   #50

You are most welcome - I'm glad it worked out.

I just checked and on eBay one can buy MFD8 and MFD12 for $400-$500. If anyone wanted a great MFD that would be cheap, and adding an SSD would assure a long life.

I am watching for this year's NOAA charts to drop - something that usually happens about now. I wouldn't be surprised if they are a bit delayed this year. I'll post here when they are out.

Greg
Old 10-04-2021, 00:56   #51

The new 2021 NOAA vector and raster charts are out now. See: https://mytimezero.com/charts-catalog

Greg

Tags
furuno