Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 15:59   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: DIY MMSI (re)programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
What you say is correct, if all you have is the EPIRB....

However, if you have any DSC equipment and/or Class A or B AIS then you have to have an MMSI number, when you register your EPIRB you have to list any equipment that requires an MMSI....

Registration information - Beacons

Having said that, you are correct about not been able to change your details online if you have an MMSI linked to your EPIRB, but the same goes for your MMSI linked to your DSC/A or B AIS, so it would be pointless not to have your EPIRB linked to your MMSI because you will still have to contact AMSA to change your details for your Radio/AIS equipment....

Anyhow, when I went to register my EPIRB I declared my HF/MF DSC, VHF DSC and Class B AIS equipment (which legally you are required to do, see pdf link below) so had to also apply for an MMSI which was then automatically linked to my EPIRB registration, there is/was no choice in the matter...

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/documents...nsBrochure.pdf

Yes, if all you have is an EPIRB and you want the ability to change your details online yourself then by all means don't link to an MMSI, but if you have other equipment that legally requires an MMSI, your EPIRB will be linked to it, if you declare said equipment that is...
I think we are in general agreement; however to clarify,if you have radio equipment that requires a MMSI, then an MMSI will be issued (after applying etc).

The EPIRB does need to be programmed with the MMSI number, it can be registered with its hex ID. Even though it will be linked to your MMSI at AMSA, you can still update details yourself.

However if you choose to have the EPIRB programmed with your MMSI, it now becomes part of your MMSI equipment on board and not just "linked" by AMSA. AFAIK, you cannot then update the details of the EPIRB yourself.

The point that HankOnthewater was making that one would need an MMSI to register a beacon in Australia is incorrect. The beacon can be registered using its hex ID and if you need an MMSI for other reasons, then the beacon is simply "linked" on the AMSA database. There is no need to have the beacon programmed with the MMSI number.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I think we are in general agreement; however to clarify,if you have radio equipment that requires a MMSI, then an MMSI will be issued (after applying etc).

The EPIRB does need to be programmed with the MMSI number, it can be registered with its hex ID. Even though it will be linked to your MMSI at AMSA, you can still update details yourself.

However if you choose to have the EPIRB programmed with your MMSI, it now becomes part of your MMSI equipment on board and not just "linked" by AMSA. AFAIK, you cannot then update the details of the EPIRB yourself.

The point that HankOnthewater was making that one would need an MMSI to register a beacon in Australia is incorrect. The beacon can be registered using its hex ID and if you need an MMSI for other reasons, then the beacon is simply "linked" on the AMSA database. There is no need to have the beacon programmed with the MMSI number.
Ahh, now I see where your coming from, programing the MMSI into the EPIRB, I was thinking along the registration process...

Yes there is no requirement for recreational or non-SOLAS vessels to program the EPIRB with an MMSI, SOLAS vessels have to as the EPIRB is a component of the GMDSS system...

As far as updating on the AMSA website goes though, once you have everything linked to your MMSI updating your info is limited, I can update my contact/personal details no problem, but once I received my Ships Station Licence and got a new call sign from ACMA, I had to contact AMSA to do the updating on both my Beacon & MMSI pages, I couldn't access to do the changes myself, it took a few days to get that done through email....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:45   #33

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Thank you Wotname, Island Hopper and StuM, to clarify this matter for me. And I guess JasonL had his question answered in the meantime as well!

Hmmm, my EPIRBs are 'programmed' with my MMSI. Hehehe there was then no need to do that then.
However the email exchange with AMSA has always been swift, questions answered and changes to the database made promptly and copies of that emailed to me, always within 2 working days, mostly within 24 hours.
Old 06-08-2017, 17:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
However the email exchange with AMSA has always been swift, questions answered and changes to the database made promptly and copies of that emailed to me, always within 2 working days, mostly within 24 hours.
Yes you are correct, depends on there workload though, my last contact took only three days to complete but it's usually quicker than that, Brooke is my usual goto and is very helpful....

As for revalidating my commercial cert's? that is a whole new ball game, painful at best lol

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Thank you Wotname, Island Hopper and StuM, to clarify this matter for me. And I guess JasonL had his question answered in the meantime as well!

Hmmm, my EPIRBs are 'programmed' with my MMSI. Hehehe there was then no need to do that then.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-08-2017, 17:16   #36

Quote:
Yes you are correct, depends on there workload though, my last contact took three days to complete but it's usually quicker than that, Brooke is my usual goto and is very helpful....

As for revalidating my commercial cert's? that is a whole new ball game, painful at best lol
Hehe, well while that has been my experience most times, AMSA became a little pushy when I wanted to remove my HF (DSC) from their MMSI database. They were initially unwilling to do so and wanted to know why and where the radio was. I told them what I did with it was none of their business apart from advising them that it was no longer fitted (or being used) on my boat as a maritime mobile station.

In the end, the standoff was resolved when they advised their only concern was that the MMSI number programmed into the radio would be misleading if it was used by anyone else. I let them know that the MMSI number was no longer programmed into the radio and we became friends again.
Old 06-08-2017, 17:26   #37

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Yes you are correct, depends on there workload though, my last contact took only three days to complete but it's usually quicker than that, Brooke is my usual goto and is very helpful....

Funny that, Brooke was the one I emailed with too! I won't show her surname on a public forum, but I was impressed! Hehehe, maybe anyone reading this and needing to deal with AMSA could/should ask for her, her official title is : SUPPORT OFFICER, SAFETY AND DISTRESS ALERTING SYSTEMS
SAR SYSTEM ENGAGEMENT & POLICY
SEARCH AND RESCUE
Old 07-08-2017, 07:22   #38

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
I'm a little new to this, but, when a boat gets sold, changes country / location, why does the mmsi , the ais , and the vhf call sign all linked to that vessel, need changing?
I recently bought a Canadian registered, with mmsi, ais and dsc vhf, all linked to Canada, but, now in Australia, and now registered as an Australian owned vessel, but have not bothered to change the Canadian linked mmsi/ais/dsc vhf, due to the inane complexity.
( have asked this on the rather old "changing mmsi" thread, that i searched and found!)
Will I be sent to jail?
Ahh well,
Looks like i'm off to jail.
Yes there is a almost new 406 epirb, an Australian 10 year warranty and battery life one, bought in Indonesia and its had the boats mmsi connected to it
Phoned AMSA today to try and get ths all set up, new mmsi, ( sorry, no radio licence, problem no 1), no mmsi for me, and, epirb is not acceptable, wrong country, you need to buy a new one, the raymarine 240 is programmed, as is AIS, and everytime I turn on the electrics, Big Brother can see me, with my "wrong" mmsi?

I asked amsa the question,,,, what if I'm up to my chest in water, and I set off the epirb, will you come rescue me?
Oh yes, but we'll fine you for having the wrong epirb, and not having a radio licence.
I told her, ,,,,ok, when I see the helicopter, i'll smash it open, and sink the epirb,the boats taken the vhf with it, so then you cant fine me, for what I dont have.
She tut tutted me,,,,

Madhouse me thinks! Due to a physical incapacity, I wont be venturing very far from shore, reality is just local waters.
Should I bother with the headaches?
Old 07-08-2017, 13:42   #39

Quote:
Ahh well,
Looks like i'm off to jail.
Yes there is a almost new 406 epirb, an Australian 10 year warranty and battery life one, bought in Indonesia and its had the boats mmsi connected to it
Phoned AMSA today to try and get ths all set up, new mmsi, ( sorry, no radio licence, problem no 1), no mmsi for me, and, epirb is not acceptable, wrong country, you need to buy a new one, the raymarine 240 is programmed, as is AIS, and everytime I turn on the electrics, Big Brother can see me, with my "wrong" mmsi?

I asked amsa the question,,,, what if I'm up to my chest in water, and I set off the epirb, will you come rescue me?
Oh yes, but we'll fine you for having the wrong epirb, and not having a radio licence.
I told her, ,,,,ok, when I see the helicopter, i'll smash it open, and sink the epirb,the boats taken the vhf with it, so then you cant fine me, for what I dont have.
She tut tutted me,,,,

Madhouse me thinks! Due to a physical incapacity, I wont be venturing very far from shore, reality is just local waters.
Should I bother with the headaches?
Quick reply due to time but more later.

It sounds like a KTI EPIRB, if so, it can be reprogrammed for the Australian country code (503) and the old MMSI number can be removed. Then register it with AMSA using its hex ID and that will get most of the monkeys off your back.

More later...
Old 07-08-2017, 19:57   #40

^^ if the existing EPIRB is not GPS enabled, it might bet better to just spring for a new one with GPS. They aren't expensive, $250 Aussie will get a KTI SA1G with 10 year battery and warranty. However if yours is already this model, contact KTI in Melbourne and find out the cost of getting it reprogrammed and where it can be done in Qld.

I won't worry about the VHF, there is no (or almost no) VHF DSC shore/ base stations in Oz.

If you have already got one, you really should get a VHF radio operators certificate (or whatever the current name is). This allows to legally use your VHF radio etc. They aren't hard to get.

I dunno if you need a station licence for AIS in Oz or not but I'm sure others will know!
Old 07-08-2017, 21:13   #41

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Thanks,
Annoyingly, the 12 month old epirb IS a KTI SA1G, with the GPS function.
I am questioning the need to get an Australian made product, "re-Australianised"
It will still do what it is designed to do, if ever it is needed.

Am now thinking "why bother" with AMSA and getting it re-mmsi'd to Australia,
Along with re-mmsi-ing the boat

I have noticed, when out and monitoring/scanning, that the VHF fitted, is awfully, almost worryingly, quiet, i might pick up one RX in every three hours.
I dont TX, dont need to.
Whereas, the more common 27neg marine CB ( range approx 4-6nm) is very very full of chit chat, in comparison.
No, I dont have a licence, but am now studying to obtain a newish licence called an AWQ, it is supposedly for Aus waters at 12nm limit, basic VHF grade qualification
Old 07-08-2017, 22:12   #42

Quote:
Thanks,
Annoyingly, the 12 month old epirb IS a KTI SA1G, with the GPS function.
I am questioning the need to get an Australian made product, "re-Australianised"
It will still do what it is designed to do, if ever it is needed.

There are a couple of issues if you don't get it reprogrammed but you will need to decide if they are important to you .

No matter where you are or who you are, the first thing that happens when an EPIRB is activated is that the alarm is directed to the RCC of the country it is registered in. That country then checks it's database to see who is in trouble and tries to contact the "emergency contacts" that the owner gave when it was registered. After all that, it usually askes the nearest country to find the beacon.

So in this instance, you pop the button in Qld, Canada gets the alarm, tries to contact the old owner see if it a real distress call etc. Finally, they call AMSA in Canberra to say we don't know WTF but there is one our beacons beeping away in Qld. Could your guys check it out please?

So yeah, it becomes a bit messy. I still think KTI would not charge much to reprogram it.
Old 20-08-2017, 00:08   #43

If you have a VHF radio with AIS you can not be tracked. The radio's will only receive AIS information.

The MMSI number is only used with DSC calls, not every transmitition.

If you make a DSC call to another vessel they will see you MMSI number. But then you called them so you should expect them to see it so they can call you back if needed.

If you make a DSC Distress call then everyone will see your MMSI. Search and Rescue will be able to look up the details of your vessel so the know what type of vessel they are looking for. They will also have contact details and may be able to ask someone how many POB etc.

Sounds like some people are paranoid about big brother watching them

To broadcast you vessel to everyone you need a AIS class B transponder. not a VHF radio.

Keeping your details up to date may be worth it in an emergency.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:00   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Here is a link to reprogramming a SH HX870 on another forum:

Reset of MMSI for DSC Radio by End User - CONTINUOUSWAVE

And a BG V50 on our own forum:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2522640
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 13:31   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Came across one more for the Camino 108 AIS. Never tried it myself.

To reinitialize the MSMS No for Camino 108, follow the steps below:
1. Execute the “AIS class B Configuration Utility” and connect it to your class B transponders.
Click continuously on the “MMSI” for at least 3 seconds
2. A pop-up window will appear. Input the activation code 2367 in the red marked area and
then press “Active”.
3. The MMSI No is reset and now you can configure the new MMSI No. After entering the new
MMSI, click on “Config Device” to save the new setting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf To_reinitialize_the_MSMS_No_for_Camino_108.pdf (70.9 KB, 294 views)
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass