Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2017, 10:18   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
B&G V50 VHF - change MMSI?

Does anyone know if there is a way I can change the MMSI number in the B&G V50 VHF radio? Or do I have to get a tech to do it. I've read the manual and I don't see any reference to making a change.
Old 20-11-2017, 10:37   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450F
Re: B&G V50 VHF - change MMSI?

I went through this last year and could not find a way to do it myself. It took a couple of tries but I found a B&G dealer/repair shop Ft. Lauderdale who would do it.
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 10:50   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

My ICOM has to be sent to factory, i understand it’s an anti theft feature.
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 10:59   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its usually easier and cheaper to get the MMSI reassigned to you. It can be done with both Boat US and FCC assigned MMSI numbers, but you have to involve the person to whom the number was originally assigned.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 19:25   #5

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

Thanks for the replies. The current MMSI is for US domestic travel. Since we need international, looks like we need a new MMSI. Looks like we'll have to get a tech onboard to do the change once I get the new MMSI from the FCC. I got a message from the local yard (True North) this afternoon saying they could do the update assuming the radio has only had one MMSI since new. Otherwise, it will have to go back to the factory for the update.
Old 21-11-2017, 05:28   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Its usually easier and cheaper to get the MMSI reassigned to you. It can be done with both Boat US and FCC assigned MMSI numbers, but you have to involve the person to whom the number was originally assigned.
I have a case where the boat was donated after the prior owner passed away. I was wondering how this is going to work with the MMSI number. Anyone been through that? I'm thinking it may be cheaper to just buy a new radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
..I got a message from the local yard (True North) this afternoon saying they could do the update assuming the radio has only had one MMSI since new. Otherwise, it will have to go back to the factory for the update.
That used to be pretty standard; you could change the MMSI twice or at most, three times. This allowed the original owner to correct an entry error.

In other words, if the yard can do it, than there's a good chance YOU can do it. The manual should explain how, or Google it.

I think newer models only allow one entry before it has to be returned to the factory.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 09:53   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Have had the same issue with the V50, but it is no problem.

Factory reset:

press X and scan

code 7100

and follow instructions

Could be forbidden in US to do it by yourself.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 09:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way I can change the MMSI number in the B&G V50 VHF radio? Or do I have to get a tech to do it. I've read the manual and I don't see any reference to making a change.
I was given a B&G V50 to replace a defective SIMRAD version of the same radio, and it had been previously programmed with an MMSI. Through Navico, with some effort, I was given the instructions for reprogramming the radio. It is possible, and you'd never figure it out using logic.

However, after a SW update to my radio and remote handset, I have NEVER been able to get them to communicate. No amount of resetting the handset and telling it to pair with the base unit has worked. I am still looking for a solution.

While I love some of the features of this model of radio, I think it's buggy and that Navico hasn't figured out how to fix it. And I love B&G/Navico product, but the radio is problematic.

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 08:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
While I love some of the features of this model of radio, I think it's buggy and that Navico hasn't figured out how to fix it. And I love B&G/Navico product, but the radio is problematic.
I bought a B&G radio for the same reasons; they seemed to offer some great features for the price.

It works, and I use it, but I'm very disappointed. The programming just seems amateurish.

First and foremost, I can't easily scan multiple channels. The process for setting up scanning is cumbersome at best. Even the language used to describe this common feature is bizarre. After reading the manual and jumping through all the correct hoops, it only scans three channels at a time. Adding or removing one from the list takes another dive into the manual and a lot of time away from running the boat.

The whole thing is like this; nothing is easy.

Mine has a known bug, too. The radio just randomly switches from 16, or from scanning, to a weather channel. The display still shows 16, but the speaker plays the weather channel.

There is a fix, but to load fixes you need a B&G MFD, or un-install the radio and bring it somewhere there is a B&G MFD.

It's too bad. I really like the hardware, but I'm very leery of any Navico product after this experience.
Old 22-11-2017, 09:20   #10

I don't understand the issues with B&G V50. To scan all channels you only have to press a key labelled with SCAN. It is also possible to monitor 3 channels at the same time. Can be a handy feature. Here too, only one button has to be pressed. Realy easy.
Old 22-11-2017, 17:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
I don't understand the issues with B&G V50. To scan all channels you only have to press a key labelled with SCAN. It is also possible to monitor 3 channels at the same time. Can be a handy feature. Here too, only one button has to be pressed. Realy easy.
Scanning all channels is totally useless if you're anywhere near a busy port or fishing area.

Changing which three to scan is not simple.

This is just one example. Overall I find the user interface difficult. And I've used many different VHF radios over a span of four+ decades.

If you don't use the radio much, or don't use more than one channel, then I suppose you'd never notice. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a B&G, it's just that the poor software design, to me, keeps them at the bottom of my list.
Old 23-11-2017, 02:03   #12

To scan the three selected channels you only have to press the "3CH" button and then the "scan"button. In order to define the 3 channels first you have to select them and then press the "3CH" button. This does not seem difficult or unstructured. Do you really have the V 50?
Old 23-11-2017, 05:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
To scan the three selected channels you only have to press the "3CH" button and then the "scan"button. In order to define the 3 channels first you have to select them and then press the "3CH" button. This does not seem difficult or unstructured. Do you really have the V 50?
The process to "select" the three channels to scan is not convenient.

But the real issue is that B&G limits you to scan only THREE channels at a time.

Let's see. 16 and 13 for sure. Probably 9, too. Maybe there's a working channel for the marina you're going to. The local fishermen usually have a working channel. Maybe a VTS channel. The tugboats have a channel. The Coast Guard may be issuing a broadcast notice to mariners on their working channel. You hail someone and switch to yet another working channel, and want to keep a radio watch on that channel so they can get back to you with an answer. The list goes on.

Try doing all that with the limitation that you have to pre-select just three channels to scan, or jump through hoops to re-select three different ones. While pitching and rolling, trying to hit all the right buttons, in the right order, while running the boat.

Yes, I know all the major hardware vendors have issues. Yes, I'm being harsh. If we just accept poor quality because that's what the market offers, we're all to blame.
Old 23-11-2017, 05:34   #14

I beg your pardon? The problem is supposed to be that it's only a three channel watch?

I'm sorry, most of the devices have Dualwatch, 3Ch watch is fine. That's no surprise, as far as the Telecommunications Act is concerned. How many suppliers' devices offer more? Please name a few devices.

This thread is about a specific question about the B&G V50, I don't think you have one, but you just want to nag. Unfortunately without substance.
Old 23-11-2017, 05:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
However, after a SW update to my radio and remote handset, I have NEVER been able to get them to communicate. No amount of resetting the handset and telling it to pair with the base unit has worked. I am still looking for a solution.
Have you sent the handset back to be reprogrammed? There have been a couple software updates to the radio that were not compatible with the handset and required it to be reprogrammed. The handset can't be updated in the field.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf