Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2022, 06:58   #31

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua
Re: Combined VHF Radio/AIS Transceiver - Not Available?

It does seem like a no brainer, especially if using a chart plotter for AIS display.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:08   #32

Boat: 2008 Hanse 430e

I recently replaced all my electronics and wanted to go with B&G’s V60-B unit which combines the VHF and AiS into a single unit. The problem became one of availability - supply chain issues I guess.

Maybe you’ll have more luck than I did with your search.
Issywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
Very informative and much appreciated.

I view AIS targets with my MFD, so I have not had a need to have a separate AIS screen on my radio. I am not sure that is a compelling feature for me.

The alarm features sound quite useful, especially when anchored in a new place.

Maybe you know, can the Cortex message me an Alert to a DSC-capable VHF handset? This would avoid having getting two SIM cards each time I visit an island nation. (To avoid costly roaming charges, I had to get 5 different cellular subscriptions this year, sailing from Grenada to the Bahamas, quite expensive and time consuming). Also would avoid having a 4G antenna to the Cortex. This would be a huge feature for me.
I also look at AIS targets on the MFD but mount the Cortex handset beside the MFD and use both. My Garmin AIS target filtering system is terrible so I keep the alarms turned off. The Vesper allows you to have four different filter presets (anchor, harbor, coastal, offshore) with different alarm parameters both audio and visual. It grays out all targets except those that are possible collision risks. And you can keep any target of interest full screen. Finally the special "Avoid" screen (attached) lets you move a slider to immediately see how much (and which way) you should change course to achieve your desired CPA. Something that's very hard to do with a MFD in some crossing situations.

The alarms go to an app on your phone so all you need is internet - not SMS to a particular phone number.

The Cortex cellular service does not work in every country but you have the option of using any router or hotspot on the boat to connect to the internet.

Oh - it also has a loud hailer if you have a speaker. This includes a timed fog horn which I find very useful cruising in Maine.

But saying all that, the Cortex is probably trying to do too many things to do them all equally well. It's an AIS first and a VHF second. I find the handset uncomfortably large as a radio mic. A bit like talking into one of those large cell phones. That's why I use it as my secondary VHF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.29.31 AM.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	264186  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:36   #34

Boat: Prout Quest 31

the price for this unit has gone up over $100 since last month
jvolpehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
You are missing a key point: The splitter in the AIS transceiver. When it transmits it turns off the connection of the VHF and the antenna. Hence, the VHF AIS never receives the AIS transceiver transmission.

I find it hard to imagine an installation with so little signal leakage that the VHF AIS isn't going to pick up transmission from the AIS transceiver, even with the splitter doing what it's supposed to do.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:10   #36

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Another nod to the Vesper Cortex. Recently struck by lightning and Garmin's VHF315 / AIS800 ( which I had previously ) were on very long back order. I had heard good things about the Cortex and decided to go that route. Thus far, I find it to be as good as the Garmin gear, and in some categories, perhaps a bit better. As my eyes were aging, I found it almost impossible to read the text on the Garmin handset. Cortex is extremely easy to read. Down side is that it can appear a bit complex at times. I am sure things will improve as I become more accustom to it.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 14:46   #37

https://simrad.factoryoutletstore.co...72b5484c3c0444

700 bucks US , in stock
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:35   #38

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjon View Post
Sorry to reject this suggestion, but this 700$ unit is AIS Receiver-only.

I need a transceiver. (Yes, I know I am picky)
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I also look at AIS targets on the MFD but mount the Cortex handset beside the MFD and use both. My Garmin AIS target filtering system is terrible so I keep the alarms turned off. The Vesper allows you to have four different filter presets (anchor, harbor, coastal, offshore) with different alarm parameters both audio and visual. It grays out all targets except those that are possible collision risks. And you can keep any target of interest full screen. Finally the special "Avoid" screen (attached) lets you move a slider to immediately see how much (and which way) you should change course to achieve your desired CPA. Something that's very hard to do with a MFD in some crossing situations.

The alarms go to an app on your phone so all you need is internet - not SMS to a particular phone number.

The Cortex cellular service does not work in every country but you have the option of using any router or hotspot on the boat to connect to the internet.

Oh - it also has a loud hailer if you have a speaker. This includes a timed fog horn which I find very useful cruising in Maine.

But saying all that, the Cortex is probably trying to do too many things to do them all equally well. It's an AIS first and a VHF second. I find the handset uncomfortably large as a radio mic. A bit like talking into one of those large cell phones. That's why I use it as my secondary VHF.
Seems like a reasonable way to use it. I am moving toward the Cortex. Is the only one-box solution I have found, and users seems pretty loyal.

Q: I heard the Cortex VHF does not have a squelch control. That can't be true, can it?

On Cortex Alarms - Using a cellular link to send alarms to my phone is too costly for me. It requires a second, dedicated cellular subscription, just for boat. Too much $$ for some random alerts. It would be okay where there is wifi, like in a marina, but then again marinas aren't free, either, are they? A wifi booster antenna would be a good thing I suppose - another coax to run up the pole.

(I have to admit, I hate alerts and have too many on the boat already. It creates a false sense of security. It is better to just set the anchor right the first time - knowing it must hold. I sometimes inform my anchorage neighbors if I have to leave the boat soon after anchoring and am worried about dragging or misjudging my swing room. Most people appreciate that, and reciprocate - a good way to meet folks.)
Old 10-09-2022, 06:00   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

For 2K5 dollars the cortex shoukd sail the boat itself. Mad money
Old 10-09-2022, 09:33   #41

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
Why would it be hard to put both functions in front of the same RF power amp? Transmit side could be combined (or switched using the mic key) as small signals before amplification and 50 ohm transmission. Receivers could listen to two channels at once - AIS and VHF, and be protected when either AIS or Radio is transmitting. If it is a technical issue, it is not obvious to me. Should be much cheaper than separate boxes passing 50 ohm signals in and out. Instead it looks way more expensive.
I assume the unit could have two VHF antenna connectors on it.
The problem is talking on the same VHF channel.
It's why there is switching.
Possibly one could not voice transmit and transmit AIS at the same instant.
Just guessing.
This one has both. https://simrad.factoryoutletstore.co...gitemid=970149
BYD
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 18:58   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Say what you will about Vesper, but Cortex provides a solid answer to VHF/AIS receive/Transmit capability.

I have enjoyed the Vesper 8000XB for over 5 years. I really am not sure why you need both AIS transmit and receive plus VHF in a single unit. There is some benefit in having them isolated. As long as I have an antenna I have each of them or both of them.

The SH2200gx and the Vesper 8000xb work well together providing AIS data on my boat. They provide a bit of redundancy in that I get 2 AIS receivers. The 8000XB provides wifi gateway to SeatalkNG meaning I can get all of the data on the network posted to my Laptop or IPhone.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 19:17   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
I find it hard to imagine an installation with so little signal leakage that the VHF AIS isn't going to pick up transmission from the AIS transceiver, even with the splitter doing what it's supposed to do.
Imagine what you want. It works.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 04:27   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
I assume the unit could have two VHF antenna connectors on it.
The problem is talking on the same VHF channel.
It's why there is switching.
Possibly one could not voice transmit and transmit AIS at the same instant.
Just guessing.
This one has both. https://simrad.factoryoutletstore.co...gitemid=970149
BYD
Thanks for this suggestion, but the SIMRAD web page for the RS100-B states "AIS functionality requires either a second VHF antenna or a VHF/AIS antenna splitter." Thus, the RS100-B unit is not meeting my expectation of a) one box, and b) one coax from the box to the masthead, c) one 12v power connection, d) one Seatalkng/NMEA connection.

Why do I want this? Because I have a "green field" project - no legacy or installed base to plug into. I have to replace everything after a lightning hit took it all out; radio, masthead antenna, ais, splitter, mfd, autohelm, instruments - everything built with transistors and chips. One box should greatly reduce wiring clutter (and failure points), space, power, and should be cheaper (although it appears it is not - yet, anyway).

Is one box necessary? No. It is required? No. But then again, pleasure boating is (last I checked) a voluntary recreational activity - none of this is necessary or required.

I don't love having to own and operate this hardware- it is just necessary to safely sail my boat in busy seaways, and I don't track the techno developments in navionics. I am just asking the experts on this forum, and then checking their recommendations. Some have been very good. Some, not very accurate.

So far.. only the Cortex seems to do what I am looking for. All other nominations come up short.
Old 13-09-2022, 01:49   #45

Boat: Grainger, G37ii, 40ft / 12m

I am a relative newbie to the yachting / boating world. I am also an IT geek. My investigations in recent years led me to invest in Vesper Cortex - installed late last year. I am a fan.
Christmas Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, hf radio, radio, vhf