Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 12:50   #1

Boat: Hanse 505 50'
Reset/change NAIS 400 MMSI

I found a post describing success changing the MMSI on a simrad NAIS 300, and a Raymarine AIS650.

https://yachtelectronics.blogspot.co...45919448428349

It doesn't seem to be working on my NAIS 400. I wonder if the password is just different. Does anyone know how change the MMSI for this unit?

And before anyone tells me it is "illegal", I have yet to see anyone provide a link to the actual law or regulation saying programming my own MMSI is illegal. I *have* seen that it illegal to program in incorrect MMSI, which is not what I'm doing. I've purchased a foreign boat, and now have a new US MMSI. Even if it is illegal, I'll take the punishment, whatever it is, that authorities want to hand me for changing an invalid MMSI to a valid one on my own property.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:55   #2

Re: Reset/change NAIS 400 MMSI

Did you find a solution?

I changed the flag of my vessel.

Need to reprogramm the MMSI (boat name stays the same) and the guys I had called onto the boat to do it, could only re-programm my B&G VHF - but not my B&G NAIS 400.

I have installed the software Pro AIS2 and also NAIS system configurator (which is, however, I think for the NAIS 500 as it doesn´t find my AIS) so I guess I need something else to re-sett and then re-prgram.

Please send me PM if sharing this info in public is not allwed by the forum.
captain-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 15:02   #3

Yes, I did. I took it to Custom Marine Electronics in San Diego. According to them, any authorized Navico/Simrad/B&G dealer can do it. They have a passcode for the device that they declined to share with me
Old 04-02-2021, 15:17   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
...And before anyone tells me it is "illegal", I have yet to see anyone provide a link to the actual law or regulation saying programming my own MMSI is illegal....
Well, it's really moot since you already got the task done, but since you asked, here's the link:

Quote:
47 CFR 80.231

The entry of static data into a Class B AIS device shall be performed by the vendor of the device or by an appropriately qualified person in the business of installing marine communications equipment on board vessels. In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device.
And before we get into "does 'static data' include MMSI?", it does, per IMO Circular SN/Circ.227 (incorporated by reference in CFR):
Static data- (Entered into AIS at time of installation)
• Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number
• IMO vessel number
Radio call sign
• Name of ship
• Type of ship
• Ship’s dimensions and reference point of position of the AIS

Not saying it doesn't happen, but it is, in the US, illegal.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 17:39   #5

Touché Dsanduril, that is the first time I've seen anyone site an actual rule, and that is pretty clear! Nonetheless, I'd have no qualms reprogramming an AIS with a proper, valid MMSI, regardless of that rule. It was moot though, because I didn't have the authorization code. The shop charged $50, took them about 3 minutes. Better than buying a new one!

My next quest is to get my Euro version B&G V50 VHF to switch to US frequencies. The annoying bit is the US spec v50 is user selectable between International and US frequencies. Undoubtedly some sort of regulatory thing.
Old 04-02-2021, 18:00   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Well, we have a foreign built, foreign owned boat too. Our Icom VHF also doesn't have a US/International switch, something I never even noticed until we got back to the US - no following the USCG up to 22A (1022) and no WX1-8 to listen to weather. Has to be a simple configuration/firmware change, but I haven't found it.

For our AIS, well, Vesper is (was) quite willing to send the unlock code as long as you are outside the US. We actually had the old (Swiss) owner request it, although still illegal for me to change it...
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 01:18   #7

Boat: Roberts 345 (modified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Well, we have a foreign built, foreign owned boat too. Our Icom VHF also doesn't have a US/International switch, something I never even noticed until we got back to the US - no following the USCG up to 22A (1022) and no WX1-8 to listen to weather. Has to be a simple configuration/firmware change, but I haven't found it.
You won't find it. All the VHF radios sold in the US have US and international channels, but you can't legally sell VHF radio in EU that has an option to switch to US channels.
Jonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:13   #8

47 CFR 80.231

The entry of static data into a Class B AIS device shall be performed by the vendor of the device or by an appropriately qualified person in the business of installing marine communications equipment on board vessels. In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device.

Only a Great Country would have a law like this. Ridiculous!
Captain Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:39   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gary View Post
47 CFR 80.231

Only a Great Country would have a law like this. Ridiculous!

Tne US uniquely insisted at the itu meetings that it did not want user programmed ais to exist because it felt terrorists could use it to blindsight coastal protection. The US had clearly a bigger picture for ais in mind possibly requiring all vessels entering is waters to have ais

Sadly the terrorists won it seems.

Tags
ais