Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2020, 08:08   #1

Buying Used Iridium GO phone

I'm considering buying a 1 year old Iridium GO from a cruiser that is getting out of cruising. What issues are there in transferring the Iridium GO, and what issues and stuff should I be know when buying a used Iridium GO?
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Buying Used Iridium GO phone

You need to shop Iridium plans. They start at about $30 a month. Inmarsat plans are a little less, with not quite global coverage, since Inmarsat uses Geostationary satellites while Iridium uses a swarm, thereby covering the poles.

In use, the sat phone is basically a cell phone on steroids, with its own SIM card and number. The only qualifier is that you need a clear view of the sky when turned on, which means out in the weather. They take a little getting used to, but practice covers that. Plan on using it sometimes when you don't need it, so it won't be confusing when you do need it.
Old 20-08-2020, 12:41   #3

I know I need a sim card and a plan. Is that all that is needed when you buy a used phone that has been registered to someone else. Also if you buy the marine package that has the external antenna can you use the phone from down below? I'm really trying to figure out the steps to transfer and iridium go phone from one cruiser to another.
Old 20-08-2020, 13:15   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

You should only need a new SIM card. You should also get the wifi password from the seller so you can log into it.

With the GO! you tether a smartphone to it via wifi, so you can be anywhere as long as the GO has signal. So the go could be "in the weather", and you could be below. The marine package is preferred of course, both because then you can mount the GO someplace permanent, and because you will get better data speeds downloading gribs.
Old 20-08-2020, 13:27   #5

I would recommend a factory reset of the device so they wouldn't need anything from the seller.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 13:38   #6

I'm wondering what plan I might need. I plan to cruise for 4 or 5 months at a time and then come home for 6 to 9 months. Is there a plan that would support turning on when I'm cruising and off when I'm not. I'm looking for a plan so I can use PredictWind, get text, emails, and cell phone calls and not shoot the wad. Any suggestions. Is pay as you go better than a prepaid plan. Looking for advice on what works and what doesn't, as well as what plan might be the most cost affective.
Old 20-08-2020, 13:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
I'm wondering what plan I might need. I plan to cruise for 4 or 5 months at a time and then come home for 6 to 9 months. Is there a plan that would support turning on when I'm cruising and off when I'm not. I'm looking for a plan so I can use PredictWind, get text, emails, and cell phone calls and not shoot the wad. Any suggestions. Is pay as you go better than a prepaid plan. Looking for advice on what works and what doesn't, as well as what plan might be the most cost affective.
Then buy the plan directly from directwind.
Old 21-08-2020, 09:49   #8

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

We just did this. Doing a factory reset and firmware update - reset the Go! entirely. I purchased 4 simm cards from PredictWind. After you turn the plan "off" during your down months, you will need to put a NEW simm card in it to fire it back up; simms can not be turned on and off like cell phones. We also have the marine kit installed with the Go! at the chart table, works like a charm - antenna wire, and USB power stay connected almost permanently, but we have taken the Go! with us out exploring unfamiliar land adventures.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 21:04   #9

Who did you buy the SIMM cards from? PredictWind? How much did they cost? To test it out do you have to buy at least one of there basic plan? Or did you do you test it another way?
Old 23-08-2020, 04:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
Who did you buy the SIMM cards from? PredictWind? How much did they cost? To test it out do you have to buy at least one of there basic plan? Or did you do you test it another way?
Yes, get the plan and SIM cards from PredictWind. I think they were around $10 a piece.
Old 23-08-2020, 05:18   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

This complexity may not be necessary. The plan I use had me buy one month, with the SIM card thrown in. Having it all set up, I can call the provider at any time to buy a month. Otherwise, it sits in my bag.
Old 23-08-2020, 08:36   #12

Which provider did you use? I see I can buy a SIM card for $10, and then activate the card with a basic plan for $59.95 from PredictWind.com. I can then test the phone and then deactivate it after a month has gone by. Then when I reactivate I have to get a new SIM card, or pay $250 reactivation fee for an existing SIM card. To activate a new SIM card is free. The draw back of the new card, seem you can't uses the old phone number. Instead I have to get a new phone number when activating a new SIM card.

Sounds like your plan doesn't work that way. I'm looking for suggestions on what is the best provider and plan for what I want to do.

Here is how I think I will use the iridium go:
- use for 4 to 6 months a year while cruising in remote areas.
- Would like minimal cost for text messages, and would like to be able to send and receive multiple text daily.
- Keep the same number if possible
- Have around 60 to 120 minutes or talk time at minimal cost.
- sending/receiving email
- minimal browsing the internet
- download grib files for use with a grid file program like PredictWind.

Any suggestions? What providers and plans are people using and why do they like them?

I'd like to thank you in advance for helping me pick the most reasonable costs provider/plan for how I am going to use the iridium go.
Old 23-08-2020, 08:51   #13

Not sure why you are trying to complicate your life but I will try to help once more.

Buy EVERYTHING you need related to the Iridium Go from PREDICTWIND.

https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/

They are an Iridium reseller.

Buying a PredictWind subscription is a separate thing all together.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/en/...s-and-pricing/
Old 23-08-2020, 20:48   #14

Yes you are right. If I was buying new it looks like the offer from predict wind is the way to go. But I'm considering buying used. I'm wondering if it is really worth it when the price of used equipment is only about a 1/3rd off. We are only talking about saving $300 or $400. At that savings maybe new makes sense. How much would you pay for a used Iridium Go that is about 18 months old?
Old 24-08-2020, 00:57   #15

You were asking about "service providers" and "plans". My response contains all that information. Did you read ALL the information provided in the link? I wasn't speaking to the hardware which you said you already purchased "used".

I'm out, good luck to you.

Tags
buying, iridium, phone