Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 16:44   #16

I need to know how to post. Im new to this
Boatsensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 17:01   #17

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: Buyer Beware

Anyone know of this guy? Very open profile on the Web. Still a little gun shy!

Paul Hansen
2:15 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
My radios arrive operating to factory specifications. I will warranty the radio at for at least 30 days but I expect you to install it and test it in a reasonable time period. It wouldn’t be too good if you said you just installed it after holding on the shelf for a year.

Tell me what is wrong with the radio you bought. I really want to know what you see wrong. Be as specific as you can. Include anything that the Icom service center told you too.

As you can see, I am not incognito. You have every bit of data on me that should help you feel a little more secure about buying another radio.

You have everything you need but a microphone. You need an EM-101 or an HM-180. Either will work. Do you have the instruction manual to tell you how to install the radio and tuner? You can download that for free from Icom.

Thank you,

Paul Hansen, W6XA
Amateur Radio Service
1813A N. Boulevard
Anderson, SC 29621
864-222-3539
707-479-5892

1st-class Amateur Radio Service
1st-Class Amateur Radio Service
Old 30-04-2013, 17:15   #18

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Buyer beware

Steve,
1) It gives me no pleasure to read of your continued troubles, even though I did suspect an issue with your M-710 and posted such back on March 18th....
Looking on the bright side here, the good news is that once you get your hands on a working radio and tuner, you're sure to have a great set-up!!!

2) Do NOT buy anything electronic that you can't test up-front, or at least buy only from truly established/reliable folks....and/or have a 100% satisfaction guareentee /easy return policy....

With ebay, you're taking a heck of a risk....and while I myself have only had one minor issue in many, many years on ebay (a power supply I bought was full of cat hair!), I'm a very discerning electronics buyer w/ 40 years of experience to draw from....I would never recommend ebay for a unseasoned electronics buyer!!!

There ARE used marine radios for sale, from honest folk on the SSCA discussion boards, and here on Cruiser's Forum, etc....
Or send a message to Gary at Dockside Radio, to see what used gear he has....or send a message to Bill T. and see what he has available...

And you can find dealers (on ebay and elsewhere) that do have at least a 10 to 90 day warranty on used gear, and some even have a "10-day free trial"...
Check out AES www.aesham.com and HRO www.hamradio.com

And, of course, always remember "ya' get whatca' pay for"...so looking for bargains is a bad idea, in my opinion!!!

3) As for your specific questions.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Looking at another M710. Refurbished and with Guareentee no Lightening strikes, from an established vendor.

Offering to install a fl-100 cw narrow filter. Is this need or a good thing. Also fiting a 2 tone alarm what does this do? Also opened for HAM channels this is a good thing for the future?
a) I can't comment on whether that radio is working fine or not....as I do not know the seller, nor their reputation!!!!

b) CW filter is probably a waste of time for you.....since you're unlikely to use CW (Morse Code), and unless you're doing digital-mode contesting, etc. you're unlikely to ever need a 500-hz IF filter for PSK, etc...
(and this would NOT work for PACTORIII/IV, either...)

c) Two-tone alarm generators were used > 15 years ago, but are no longer useful.....
Prior to 1999, these WERE used to signal other vessels (commercial vessels) or coast stations on 2182khz, as the "2182 Watch Receiver" was not actually listened to much, but was "squelched" and waiting for a "two-tone alarm" to break their silence....(the "static" on 2mhz can be quite deafening!!)

The new GMDSS (effective Jan 1999) replaced such practices and made two-tone alarm generators almost (99.99%) useless....(I say "almost", since it is possible that someone would hear it and recognize it as an emergency alarm, but without MF/HF-DSC, you've already accepted that you're not going to be able to easily signal other vessels / coast stations...)

d) "Opened-up" for ham-band use is a good idea.....

I hope this helps....(at least a little bit...

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 17:21   #19

Nice to have a shoulder to cry on! Sound advice.

John on the positive side at least I have proved I was not a complete moron when I was trying to get some reception. LOL

Steve
Old 30-04-2013, 17:39   #20

Hutch,
While this might be the case in some countries (I cannot comment on countries other than the USA), this is NOT the case in the US....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Technically you're supposed to have a license to buy any gear capable of transmitting on ham frequencies. Logically, that statement would apply to sellers as well. I wonder if it is the same for maritime radio sales. If there is a licensing requirement for maritme radio sales, then ... is the guy you've purchased equipment from a duly licensed maritime radio seller?
You must have a license to TRANSMIT on the amateur radio freqs.....and two licenses (operators license and maritime station license) are needed to TRANSMIT on the MF/HF maritime freqs and/or when communicating with international/foreign stations on VHF maritime freqs....
But, no US FCC license if required to buy the equipment!!!

As for "sellers", aside from local/state business licenses / liability insurance, etc. there are "manufacturer authorized dealers" (where the manufacturer usually requires some background/training, some financial solvency, and some requisite amount of new inventory, etc...)

Some (very few, by my observations) retailers use personal discretion when selling ham (or maritime) transmitting equipment, in order to keep some of these things from being used on the CB band and/or by unlicensed operators....but there is no legal requirement to do so....

Other than those things, this is a free country.....and while most these days don't read Latin, "caveat emptor" applies whether you know Latin or not...

{oh, and on a side note, with the truly horrible transmit IMD products produced by brand new ham radios these days, it's obvious that the manufacturers themselves have no regard for keeping the ham bands clean....compared to the radios that must meet Part 80 certification (where they ARE under a legal requirement to have clean transmit signals), such as our maritime radios....it's easy to conclude that the manufacturers have no interest in "restricting" the sale of their equipment....remember Gordon Gecko's motto: "Greed is Good!"....}

Just wanted to clear up any misconceptions....

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 30-04-2013, 17:59   #21

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Steve -

Looking at the Amateur Radio Service website (the business of W6XA) he appears to be a straight shooter and on the level. That said I know nothing about him myself.

As John has suggested, Bill Trayfors has a good rep here, as does Gary at Dockside Radio. Call them too to see what they have.

Sorry to hear of your Ebay travails. You do have to be very careful and knowledgeable to successfully buy complicated electronic gear on Ebay - or be a gambler at heart!

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:13   #22

Steve,
1) There used to be an Icom factory service center in S. Carolina, and they did GREAT work.....but I cannot find it on Icom's site anymore.....
Locate a Service Center - Icom America

(so Paul may be the guy who used to run this???)
Bill T. might know, or at least have better info for you...

Quote:
Anyone know of this guy? Very open profile on the Web. Still a little gun shy!
Paul Hansen, W6XA
Amateur Radio Service
1813A N. Boulevard
Anderson, SC 29621
864-222-3539
707-479-5892

1st-class Amateur Radio Service
1st-Class Amateur Radio Service
2) You can check out his excellent reviews on eham.net
Paul Hanson Radio Repair Product Reviews

I hope this helps...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 30-04-2013, 18:27   #23

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
His website says he was an Icom Service Center for 10 yrs, so must be the one you are thinking of.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:49   #24

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Hutch,
While this might be the case in some countries (I cannot comment on countries other than the USA), this is NOT the case in the US.... You must have a license to TRANSMIT on the amateur radio freqs.....and two licenses (operators license and maritime station license) are needed to TRANSMIT on the MF/HF maritime freqs and/or when communicating with international/foreign stations on VHF maritime freqs....
But, no US FCC license if required to buy the equipment!!!
Just wanted to clear up any misconceptions....

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Thanks for setting me straight. I just looked at the part 97 rules at:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

You are absolutely correct. I can't believe how many years I lived with the idea that a license was needed for purchase. The pertinent part of the section is:

(a) The station apparatus must be under the physical control of a person named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated license database or a person authorized for alien reciprocal operation by §*97.107 of this part, before the station may transmit on any amateur service frequency from any place that is ...

Thank you for rectifying a forty year old misconception!!!
Old 30-04-2013, 19:16   #25

Hi John,

Same Guy, One his website he relates his history. Ill find and post
Old 30-04-2013, 19:19   #26

John does this sound familiar.

Amateur Radio Service was established in Tucker, Georgia in 1997. After several years of servicing all the major brands, we were approached by Icom America to become their Southeast Service Center. Since that included warranty repairs on all of their products except Land Mobile, we chose to concentrate on the Icom product line.
We moved to Anderson, South Carolina in 2003 where we continued to service Icom equipment until the end of 2012. A move to California meant we had to relinquish our Service Center contract. Conditions changed in California more rapidly than anticipated and we returned to Anderson, South Carolina. We have rebuilt our service facility in South Carolina and we are ready to serve the amateur, marine and aviation communities of not only Icom but Kenwood and Yaesu as well.

My name is Paul Hansen; my current call sign is W6XA. I was first licensed as WN6KXL in the summer of 1964. I passed the General Class exam within a month of receiving my Novice license. After the first round of incentive licensing, I upgraded to Advanced Class in 1969. Because I became an avid DXer and all the really good activity was at the very bottom band edges, I upgraded to Amateur Extra in 1973 and was issued the call AE6H. W6XA was issued to me as a vanity call sign under the second vanity licensing program.
Old 30-04-2013, 19:29   #27

Steve,
Bingo!!
That's the guy!!

They do good work, and have an excellent rep....
I think they'll treat you right....

But, I'd still have a concern trying to use a repaired M-710 if it was truly "lightning damaged beyond repair" as Icom said....
So, even if Paul can get it working, I'd not recommend relying on it for comms offshore....
Better to buy another radio, in my opinion....

Talk to Gary, Bill T., and Paul....and you might find a good quality marine HF rig that works!!!
That's my best advice....

Good luck and fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 30-04-2013, 19:54   #28

Hi John,

No the lightening conductor is toast. This guy Paul, has a reconditioned M710 ham tuned radio as well with a min 30 day guarantee.

price is fair and if he is straight shooter I may go for that. WHo is Gary, Bill T ?

Thanks for the help John at least some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 30-04-2013, 21:41   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Buyer beware

Quote:
Apparently I had a Lightening Strike under my bed and did not notice.
Happens to me all the time.
Old 30-04-2013, 23:54   #30

^ :-)