Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 23:57   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Buyer Beware

ARRL use to have a Classified section on their site. I think no longer because of scammers, but I have purchased all my Yausu's there with good results.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Steve,
Sounds like Paul will get you taken care of....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
This guy Paul, has a reconditioned M710 ham tuned radio as well with a min 30 day guarantee.
price is fair and if he is straight shooter I may go for that.

Sorry, I thought I was clear earlier... (:
Quote:
WHo is Gary, Bill T ?
Gary is Gary Jensen owner of Dockside Radio Pactor-II/III Radio Modem sales, FCC License filing, Marine SSB & HAM Radio Net schedules &amp frequencies. (which I mentioned earlier)......and Bill T. (who I also mentioned earlier), is our own "btrayfors" (who is a seasoned SSB radio installer and whose posts here you've undoubtifully read hundreds of...)

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06   #33

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

OK my friend, Yes One thing I have done is read many of Bills emails. I checked the other sights and they did not have any second hand sets ready to go. I think I should go with this Paul guy, he is very open and your own recommendation attests to his credibility.

So the only remaining decision is,
do I tell Luksana (Otherhalf) now or wait and ask for forgiveness later? :-)

Steve
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
At least go back and give the seller a terrible review so other buyers can be warned.
And file a dispute w eBay.

In contrast, Ive had great luck on eBay both buying and selling, but I never buy from anyone who does not have a 98 to 100% good rating and loads of transactions.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19   #35

He had all that. The problem was I bought to build later. needed a tuner, then cables then make decisions on ground plane antenna etc. Sat under my bed until I had assembled all the bits.

He says I say. One of us is a lier and a cheat.
Old 01-05-2013, 13:49   #36

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Buyer Beware / Caution when using ebay

When considering using ebay and/or if you've got a problem with an ebay purchase (and haven't been able to get a satisfactory solution from the seller), you may find these brief tips to be helpful.....
(I've been an ebay member/user for 15 years, and only ever had one very minor problem....and I have excellent "feedback" comments and have a 100% positive rating...my ebay name is the same as here: KA4WJA)

1) If you haven't gotten a satisfactory solution from the seller directly, sending negative feedback is always a good idea...no matter how "intimidating" they make it seem...

2) Filing a dispute with ebay can also get some action....(but after a year, I'm not sure it's even possible...)

3) Specifically for those considering using ebay....

In order of importance:

a) ALWAYS click on the seller's feedback number, and READ the feedback they've gotten.....
Do NOT just go by the "number" of their feedback profile....
Except for real/actual radio dealers/manufacturers, etc. (such as Henry Radio, etc.), I actually find those with high numbers are the ones to suspect as they are more of "ebay professionals" than they are "radio guys"....

b) Also, take note of their ebay "age" (how long have they been an ebay member/user), as there are many (like myself) that have been ebay users/members for 15 years and have only a few dozen winning bids/completed purchases, and understand that not everyone actually sends "feedback"...{I've got about 40-45 winning bids/completed transactions in the past 15 years (mostly ham radio items, some boat items, and even a few things for an old girlfriend), but only got feedback from 29 of them....all 100% positive, thank you very much!!}
Someone whose been on ebay for 10 years or so, and has 100% positive feedback, but only a few dozen feedback responses, is probably a good ebay'er....But, you must READ their feedback, not just look at the numbers....

c) Buying radios/electronics from hams AND from ebay members that use their ham callsign, used to be a great way to get an honest seller and/or a working radio.....and although this is still a good practice, it isn't as "ironclad" as it used to be, as there are hams selling stuff that doesn't work without disclosing that fact (and sometimes they don't even know it!!)

d) In my opinion, when trying to decide on the seller's honesty/abilities, the higher their feedback number, the higher their feedback percentage should be...since a few negative feedbacks can get lost in amongst hundreds of positives, but might be a telling sign....

I hope this helps someone....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:55   #37

As I said to rainbotom.com this was more about trust. This guy sells to the Marine community. Trust is just that. When he replied and said that it left in perfect working order I knew that he was lying.

We all live with the consequence of our actions. He no doubt will live with his. If he has cheated me he will do the same to others. Eventually Karma catches up with us all. The $500 I paid plus the shipping, Taxes and my Icom bill add up so it is, for me an expensive lesson.

So we shall see what we shall see.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:13   #38

So after much deliberation. We are going to forgo a new dodger.(It is in terrible shape see the web photos). Safety first.

So thisis the guy's advert on EBay.

Is this cool? Are there any questions I need to ask? Paul (owner) has said he will give 30 days warranty at least?

Icom IC M-710 Marine SSB Transceiver - Radio Set Only | eBay

Cheers

Steve
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15   #39

Did you exhaust efforts with eBay customer service? A fraudulent sale is not what the corporation would risk their market share to protect.

eBay can have any policy they want, but if a sale was transacted throught the U.S. Mail, you've got 30 days no matter what.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:08   #40

Hi Dave, That is the problem I left it much too long. Who is to say who is lying? I can not prove it was not me that cooked it! Unless the posts over the last year on here prove that I was slowly, very slowly, gathering the information needed to hook it up:-)

I am resigned that I got ripped off. On the other hand I have bought lots of good gear. Still plucking up courage to order a replacement. Months cruising gone out the window, or the new dodger, still not the end of the world. I will complain to EBAy tonight on the grounds that if someone else complains then a pattern starts to emerge.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30   #41

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Well I hate admitting to being had but, well I've been had!

After many trials and tribulations I bought and assembled all my bits into my boats new SSB configuration. It has taken awhile, first the M710, then the 130 tuner, then the cables and Kiss and antenna and well you know.

So anyhow I bought the M710 on Ebay from a "marine dealer" as used but working. It is not and never will without significant rebuild. Icom Canada just phoned me that told me that unfortunately it showed all the signs of a set that had been hit by lightening!

So I am $500 in the hole plus the Icom bill. But what I can't get over is the blatant dishonestly of some people! Sorry I could not do that to anyone.

I feel like I should go and drown my sorrows, but I can not afford it!LOL

To all those that tried to help me buy the right stuff, and persevered when I did the install and could not get it working thank you. At least now I feel less of a dork for not getting it to work!
Doesn't ebay or paypal have some sort of buyer protection policy? Have you contacted them? That's what I would do. They have settled a couple of much smaller issues for me.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote